Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 136 votes, 4.97 average.
Unread 01-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #916
polar.bear

Ahh right. I couldn't tell from the picture as the Neo one is quite dark and I couldn't see much. I'll get a hold of the pattern and have a look, will be interesting...

Won't you have obvious seams and such that way for the gloves? I was holding out on finding some chemical type gloves cause they will be more accurate. Failing finding them I may have to go the same route you did.
polar.bear is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #917
LordDraco3
On a mission

The real gloves actually have a seam at the wrist, it's just unnoticeable since the whole glove is made of the same materials.
LordDraco3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 05:29 AM   #918
polar.bear

Ah yeah, just checked the reference pics and you are correct.

EDIT I decided to upload a quick photo here.
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/3830/knivesc.jpg
The left photo is actually from a scene with GENterns but it is the same knife as the one Nathan puts in his boot when he goes off after Shilo. I used this photo to compare because you don't really see the knife close up in the Repoman scenes
The right photo is one of three throwing knives I picked up.

Last edited by polar.bear : 01-23-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #919
Heavens_Night
Little Lotte

Okay, I've decided on my Shilo variation-- I'll be doing her Final Opera outfit for Megacon. I ordered my wig yesterday and I'm picking up the dress today.
Heavens_Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #920
LordDraco3
On a mission

Awesome, looks like you got the exact knife. I think there's a promo shot of Luigi holding it too. Most of the shanks got reused a few places in the movie.

Yay Opera Shilo! Be prepared to not get recognized much, for some reason my Shilo only really gets noticed as 21cc rather than any other version...even when she's standing right next to Repo Man.
Unread 01-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #921
moonflower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDraco3 View Post
Awesome, looks like you got the exact knife. I think there's a promo shot of Luigi holding it too. Most of the shanks got reused a few places in the movie.

Yay Opera Shilo! Be prepared to not get recognized much, for some reason my Shilo only really gets noticed as 21cc rather than any other version...even when she's standing right next to Repo Man.
and the first time i went as shilo to a con i had 21st CC and ZA, and ZA was recognized a TON more than 21stCC, and i wasn't with any other repo! people. so i guess it depends on the con.
moonflower. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #922
Heavens_Night
Little Lotte

Ahh, yeah, that was kind of my fear. I was debating whether to do 21st CC or Final Opera, but decided on FO because it was more convenient for me to work on right now.
Unread 01-25-2011, 02:56 AM   #923
polar.bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDraco3 View Post
Obviously I can't carry the knives in public or at the con I am going to so I will be using it to make a plastic replica. I'd like to keep the weight fairly similar but I'll see what I can do. Ideas?

Last edited by polar.bear : 01-25-2011 at 03:03 AM.
Unread 01-25-2011, 07:11 AM   #924
LordDraco3
On a mission

Plexiglass/acrylic would be perfect, and cheap (I get mine from Home Depot). I made a vintage-style slingshot out of the stuff for virtually nothing rather than buying one for $30 for my Rocky Horror Eddie costume. It makes for a very durable lightweight prop that is resistant to bending and breaking.

Ref: http://i51.tinypic.com/2m2j6t3.jpg
Before painting: http://i52.tinypic.com/15x7j90.jpg
Haven't taken a clear "finished" shot yet, the skull came off moments before my first show D:
But as you can see, it can even be engraved to get as much detail as you want to put into it.

In fact, I think I might have to make one of those knives whenever I get the chance (and a better knife sheath for my boots). Cutting it with precision is the only difficult part. I used a jigsaw, dremmel, and drill.
Unread 01-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #925
Heavens_Night
Little Lotte

Yay, got my first few progress shots of Shilo! Still waiting on the gloves, watch, and wig.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...344710_n .jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...301840_n .jpg
Unread 01-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #926
moonflower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavens_Night View Post
Yay, got my first few progress shots of Shilo! Still waiting on the gloves, watch, and wig.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...344710_n .jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...301840_n .jpg
Looks good! i'd honestly say shorten the skirt a little, but if you're not comfortable with it, that's fine - not many people will notice.

also, your makeup is too brown, not black.

besides that, it looks great!
Unread 01-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #927
Heavens_Night
Little Lotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonflower. View Post
Looks good! i'd honestly say shorten the skirt a little, but if you're not comfortable with it, that's fine - not many people will notice.

also, your makeup is too brown, not black.

besides that, it looks great!
I wasn't wearing any makeup :/ This was right before bed and I had just washed my face so I didn't have any makeup on at all. When I do some legitimate shots it will definitely be black!

& Yeah, I try not to go TOO short on my skirts at cons. Just based on some horror stories that have happened to my friends in the past.
Unread 01-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #928
moonflower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavens_Night View Post
I wasn't wearing any makeup :/ This was right before bed and I had just washed my face so I didn't have any makeup on at all. When I do some legitimate shots it will definitely be black!

& Yeah, I try not to go TOO short on my skirts at cons. Just based on some horror stories that have happened to my friends in the past.
I understand. When I wear Shilo i typically wear cheerleading spankies underneath for my own comfort. And, ZA barely covers my ass, i swear. When i sit, i'm not sitting on any fabric.
Unread 01-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #929
polar.bear

Draco, the only PVC I've been able to find locally is rather thick stuff and I was wondering how thick was the pvc you used and what sort of issues if any did you have sewing it?
Unread 01-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #930
LordDraco3
On a mission

For coat material? My stuff is extremely heavy. Most coat hangers won't support it. Sewing it is just a real pain partially due to the pattern (mostly), and partially due to sewing machines don't like sewing through thick stuff.

My gf has blamed my coat as the reason why her sewing machine stopped working, and had to buy a new one.