Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy

Unread 07-16-2003, 10:26 AM   #1
Mephistopheles
Bald and...well, bald.

FF7's Rude and Michael Jackson...lots in common?

I've been noticing there is much debate over whether Rude is black or white. I'm curious to see what some of you think, and why that is.

I'm considering cosplaying as rude now, mainly due to the simplicity of his attire, but am at odds over whether or not to do so because of this debate. I'm quite white, pale in fact, and would hate to 'steal' one of the few choices available to black cosplayers who may be as nitpicky as I am about looking exactly like that character.

I'm curious to see what people think, and why. Your input can sway my opinion either way.

Unread 07-16-2003, 11:12 AM   #2
Collie

Don't place race into cosplay is my suggestion. If we did that, there'd be alot less of certain characters cause people would be like... "Oh, no they're asian, so I can't do it now!" or whatever, y'know. I say put it aside. Who cares what people think...
~*~Collie~*~
Collie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2003, 11:52 AM   #3
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

The hell? Since when was Rude's ethnicity ever a debate? Where is this debate? He's not dark skinned! Yeah, neither is Michael Jackson, but I don't think they have vitiligo in the world of FF7.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: TBD
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2003, 01:02 PM   #4
Mephistopheles
Bald and...well, bald.

Well, reading through a couple of the 'black characters' threads on these forums, I've seen his name mentioned. Also, looking around online for potential bald characters to cosplay, and especially after his name had been brought up, I was looking for more visual references for Rude. I saw debates on some other message boards, and some websites over the ethnicity of Rude, and figured I'd get a general consensus from the users here. I'd even come across some fanart depicting Rude as black.

Now, one particular picture I saw was reportedly official art from Square, and Rude looked pretty caucasian to me. I mainly just wanted to hear others opinions on the matter before I decided to give it a shot. I'm rather specific when it comes to looking like the character as close to exact as I can get.

I agree completely that skin tone, size, weight, etc., shouldn't matter when cosplaying your favorite character, but I'm a bit anal about being a spitting image of any character I cosplay. I can only ever get so close, but I HAVE to be as close as I can get.
Unread 07-16-2003, 01:38 PM   #5
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

o____O That's.. werid. I've never heard of that. What arguments do people have to claim he's black?

Unread 07-16-2003, 02:39 PM   #6
Mephistopheles
Bald and...well, bald.

Well, here's the thread on these forums where it was mentioned:
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread...&threadid=5571

...and the closest thing to a viable argument most people had given was comparing some screenshots of the game where Rude is standing next to Cloud, and they point out that Rude's skin is darker than Cloud's. Granted, Cloud is no Captain Beach Tan, but it was as viable an argument I could find. Most people just yelled and said, "WTF! HE IS BLACK!! D00fu5!" and such.

I can't remember where I found the link to one such argument, but if I find it again I'll post it.
Unread 07-16-2003, 07:44 PM   #7
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

That's kind of dumb. That game's only black character was very obvious -- if Rude was meant to be, he'd probably be just as obvious instead of "somewhat darker skinned than everyone else; therefore black".

Wow that really irks me for some reason. ^_^; I'm not saying a black guy can't be Rude or anything, but... geez.

Unread 07-17-2003, 12:16 AM   #8
Mephistopheles
Bald and...well, bald.

Well, that's now another option for me. Now if I can only find a blue suit with a zip-up jacket.....HMMMM
Unread 07-17-2003, 03:18 PM   #9
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Zip-up jacket?

Unread 07-17-2003, 03:24 PM   #10
Vinya

*raises hand* Er... Barret is _definately_ black, right? soo.... you put Rude next to Barret and laa~ Look! I'd say he's just well-tanned. Or someting. XD And michi, yes, they actually are zip-up-jackets. Strange.... But _so_ Tetsuya Nomura. ^_^ Wait, I'll try to look for a pic for you...
Vinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2003, 03:31 PM   #11
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Yeah, exactly. I said in another thread how they made the one black character very obviously black.. so if Rude was meant to be, then that would be obvious too. x_X; He's never looked very tan to me, either. :X

Heh I've never really paid attention to the clothing designs. >_>

Unread 07-17-2003, 03:34 PM   #12
Vinya

Ooh, michi-san, here here: http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff7/...inra/turks.jpg If it doesn't work, then www.rpgamer.com -> Games -> Series -> FFVII -> Square art -> Character CG, Statistics, and Information -> Shinra Management -> Turks Force

I _so_ love Nomura's clothing designs. ^____________^
Vinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2003, 03:54 PM   #13
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Wow, I never noticed the little zipper thing. Good thing I never planned to cosplay a Turk. Maybe Elena someday.. pfft.

And yeah, Rude is so not black..

Unread 07-19-2003, 12:21 AM   #14
SyntaxGlitch
Monochromechanicabalistic

Rude is actually a bit darker-skinned than most of the other characters, I did notice that in the game. But not to the point of what we'd normally call "black". Again, look at him next to Barret. :P Case closed, thank you, moving on...
Unread 07-21-2003, 12:49 AM   #15
Neko Cathy

MICHAEL JACKSON???

Dude, he's black. I've always saw him as a black guy beause of his haircut and dark skinned apperance. Plus to equal out the "racial quota" you need a minority (perferably a black guy) to be involve in some hitman organization or the Turks wouldn't be "gangsta" at all. I dunno... not to be racist or anything but I can't see an all white/asian group wanting to be hitman or gang members. I come from a multicultural neighborhood ^___^;

Race should NEVER matter with cosplay as long as you look like the character and peole can identify who you're cosplaying. There's a Black Ranma guy here and he looks teriffic for going as a light skinned asian character! Cosplay is about dressing up as a character from a series you like and expressing that thought, not just to show off and be an attention hooker. If you like Rude and find him an interesting character, by all means go as him! I would love to see a Rude cosplayer because I haven't met one yet.
Neko Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote