Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-23-2008, 11:28 PM   #1
khatera
Hero Cosplaying Fotogrphr

Help Making Retractable Wings?

Ok so I want to be Kohaku from Wish (CLAMP's creation, the best freaking manga ever!) and so I'm planning on making her outfit, probably two of them (I'm not sure which ones at the moment: one of the cover ones preferably). The reason I want retractable wings is so I can actually walk in the con, I know small little wings are easy to make but I want to make the full wings, plus it looks pretty. My friend will be Koryuu, so we will be making two pairs.

But my main problem is I don't know how to make the wings, I know it'll probably take me the longest time out of everything. So I would appreciate any tips.

Reference photos:
http://bane-huntress.com/reviews/WishFront.jpg
http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/be...007/3907-1.jpg
http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/be...007/3881-1.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...sh/kohaku5.jpg

I guess I want to learn how to make it be light since I hope to debut this at Otakon 09.
I mean its a con in the summer, it'll be hot as well you know. =)
Sorry that this message is long, I rant whenever I'm bored.

Cosplays:
- Axis Powers Hetalia: America, Ottoman Empire (won Best Novice Craftsmanship)
- Naruto Shippuden: Sasuke
- Assassin's Creed: Altair and Ezio
- Dangerous: Michael Jackson
- COD MW2: Private James Ramirez / Cover Ranger WIP

Skits:
- The Otaku (AUSA 2008)
- Wolf's Rain: Fight to Paradise (Katsu 2010)
khatera is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-24-2008, 01:54 AM   #2
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

Sailorknightwing made an AWESOME pair of wings for her Belldandy costume (Saw them in person...utterly amazing!) They weren't retractable but they were still AMAZING. She might have some tips for some practical wings.

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Done/Working On/Pattern/Not started

Pants Tunic Dickie Surcoat Armor Boots Belt Wig
Check out my new facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kesracosplay
Kesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2008, 08:12 AM   #3
Nefer
Silver fox

That may sounds stupid, but use.... An umbrella (small one, found at dollorama)! Just take out the fabric, the bottom handle, and tape together three metal pines on each side (ours had 6 branches, that's why we had three on either side).
Then, use some black tape juste to be sure it won't scrap you feathers etc, perhaps some hot glue at the bottom where the 'hole' is, and then, using some metal clothes support or metal small pines (found at Canadian tire or even Dollorama :P), just add it to the umbrella frame to create the basic form of your wings (though just until the highest part, I suggest you not to use it all the way to the bottom of the feathers, just use some cardboard inside of the main base to strenghen the struture...) It will mainly be like a 'U', not a 'W' upside-down, if you get what I mean!
I would also suggest to use the umbrella upside-down, it will be easier for you to open your wing (or your friend could also do it for you, that's what we did, our wigs were a bit big ^^).
Also, you could use some white fabric as the base (sew it to the metal frame, but only at two or three place, just like a knot if you prefer, just look at an umbrella, you will see how the material is strap to it!), and then add feathers to your white fabric (my friend's and my wings were demon ones, so we didn't have feathers!)

Hope that can help, and I could send you pictures of the wing frame without any material on it if you want to tonight, since I believe I still have some in my computer ^^

2013 cosplay:
Ike(SSBB) || Maria(SotN) || Rosa(FF4) || Sesshomaru(IY) || Setzer(FF6)
2014 Convention cosplay:
Caterina(TB) || Elsa(Frozen) || Firion(FF2/DFF) || Gakupo(Voc.Venomania) || Ryuuki(Sai.Mon.)
Future (2015 conventions):
Dragoon-Elezen(FF14) || Eirika(Fire Emblem:Awakening) || Erza(Fairy Tail)

Last edited by Nefer : 10-24-2008 at 08:16 AM.
Nefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2008, 11:27 AM   #4
vampirate

Wicked and Cats both incorporate wings that pop up out of costumes. So you might be able to find something useful if you research those musicals.

I don't know how they quite work in Wicked but I dressed a tour of Cats once. It was for a number when some of the cats dressed like beetles. They each wore this vest contraption for the wings. And the beetle wing coverings were clamped down over spring loaded iridescent fabric wings that were folded up like paper fans. And it was all rigged up so that when they pulled a pin out of a loop on the front of their vest the beetle wings would pop out.
vampirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2008, 06:00 PM   #5
khatera
Hero Cosplaying Fotogrphr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefer View Post
Hope that can help, and I could send you pictures of the wing frame without any material on it if you want to tonight, since I believe I still have some in my computer ^^
That'd be great if i can see some pictures. I would greatly appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirate View Post
I don't know how they quite work in Wicked but I dressed a tour of Cats once. It was for a number when some of the cats dressed like beetles. They each wore this vest contraption for the wings. And the beetle wing coverings were clamped down over spring loaded iridescent fabric wings that were folded up like paper fans. And it was all rigged up so that when they pulled a pin out of a loop on the front of their vest the beetle wings would pop out.
That sounds really cool. But do they close on their own or I gotta have someone help me with that?

Cosplays:
- Axis Powers Hetalia: America, Ottoman Empire (won Best Novice Craftsmanship)
- Naruto Shippuden: Sasuke
- Assassin's Creed: Altair and Ezio
- Dangerous: Michael Jackson
- COD MW2: Private James Ramirez / Cover Ranger WIP

Skits:
- The Otaku (AUSA 2008)
- Wolf's Rain: Fight to Paradise (Katsu 2010)
khatera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 12:28 AM   #6
Nachoman
Workmanship Nazi

"Wings" is a common subject, that gets discussed every few months.
Better try to hit the search bar with the term. I've even helped people with two different projects.
Unread 10-25-2008, 11:49 AM   #7
vampirate

Yeah, someone would need to help you close them unless you can work on stuff on your own back. ~_^
vampirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 08:29 PM   #8
anime_lover260

hey there are these great videos on youtube by tusense, here is a link to his profile. On his playlists the first one is how to make retractable wings! Its great and it works be patient though!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tusense

hope this helps!
anime_lover260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #9
Nefer
Silver fox

Alright, sorry for the delay, here's my pictures!
PS: I would suggest you to go the other way around, aka place the branch of the umbrella (that you push to open it) up, not down, so that way you'll have the umbrella curve going up for your wings instead of down (we needed it down for ours, so). Just use your friend to pull it up for you :P

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...table%20wings/

For the rest, you just cut two pieces of material the shape you want, one for the top and one for underneath, then you sew together... Though lucky you, since you have feathers, you can sew normally and add feathers over the material, so the sewing won't appear (though keep a hole where you'll be able to pass your umbrella branch, as well as keep the little plastic top of the umbrella, the thingie that help keeping the material, just paint it in white to fit your costume, and anyway, it's going to be covered in feathers and at the bottom, so!

2013 cosplay:
Ike(SSBB) || Maria(SotN) || Rosa(FF4) || Sesshomaru(IY) || Setzer(FF6)
2014 Convention cosplay:
Caterina(TB) || Elsa(Frozen) || Firion(FF2/DFF) || Gakupo(Voc.Venomania) || Ryuuki(Sai.Mon.)
Future (2015 conventions):
Dragoon-Elezen(FF14) || Eirika(Fire Emblem:Awakening) || Erza(Fairy Tail)

Last edited by Nefer : 10-26-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Nefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 02:02 AM   #10
Zenoah
I'am the ubermensch!

On this subject...

I crafted the umbrella wing apparatus but now Im having issues putting the wings on to the skellital frame.
Im going for Crona's wings from Soul Eater

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/824...nabysancti.jpg

Would I make the wings like a curtain and just slip them on?
Also, how would I get them on my back?
Zenoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #11
Moennet
I am female dammit!

I have a design drawn out for this, unfortunately I haven't had the money to make them so it hasen't been tested out yet. ;_;

Marluxia (KH2)
If you can't find me here, I'm on youtube as Bannananaabrigade or on WoW as Shmexxyer or Moennet on Azuremyst.
WARNING: I DO NOT SUB THREADS, I GENERALLY DON'T HAVE THE TIME, IF I AM HELPING YOU WITH SOMETHING PLEASE PM ME.
Moennet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 02:26 PM   #12
Tsumetsuki13

So I made a large black pair of wings for a 10 year old friend of mine who cosplayed sasuke... but he had his own ideas of how the wings needed to look (rather than correct lol) but anyway, if you follow this to the T and impart my bit'O direction you should have a working pair in no time here is a site with VERY thorough directions: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...f-Angel-Wings/ You may have to modify some little asthetic parts, but to make them retractable, this is awesome... Basically all you need to add is a rope. Tie it to the very end of one wing (and repeat for the other wing with another rope), and run through the two tubes (use pvc rather than bamboo) therefore making a pulley... and when you pull on the string... wa-la the wings shall open This removes the need for the hand slots. Any questions, please feel free to pm me
Unread 04-22-2010, 03:10 AM   #13
Chaosti
Doesn't Bite

Wow, this is such an awesome thread! I've always wanted to know how to make retractable wings. Now it doesn't seem so farfetched after all :]
Chaosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 07:05 AM   #14
ChilmarkGryphon
wings! armor! madness!

CLAMP wings have no relation to bird anatomy beyond a passing nod at feathers, so the umbrella/2 point articulation is a little excessive for this one. You just need it to bend at the "wrist", and there's lots of previous examples of that. You'll want to heat-bend the part of the pvc below the "wrist", and the "hand" bit of the wing will require such a short piece of armature for this bit that you might as well just leave it straight.
As a feather material, I'd go with craft foam. It's light-weight, easy to cut, and soft, so that if you clothesline someone with them at Otakon (very likely to happen T__T) it will neither break nor stab them.

Selling Arda lace-front and Le Tigre wigs! Check my Marketplace lisitings.

Current Project: Abel Nightroad | Upcoming Cons: Otakon 2015 | Find me on Twitter, DeviantART, or Facebook
ChilmarkGryphon is offline   Reply With Quote