Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Newbies

Unread 10-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
sicdedman
SicLeatherFace

Ginko - Mushishi Cosplay???

i would like to cosplay as Ginko-from Mushishi... but im not sure how to go about this.. i am growing my hair long right now for the last 3 months,trying to get it long enough to cut it the way he has it.. but the cosplay its self,how to dress,what material,ect. to use.. does anyone have any suggestions??? greatly appreciated (thank you..)

Unread 10-26-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
zomgmissy
New Account: ohmicaiah

References might be helpful, first of all, for those who have never heard of/seen the series.

Is your hair white? I doubt it. Even if you dye it, a wig might be better to get the right color. And you can also reuse a wig if you ever want to cosplay again without worrying what your actual hair looks like.

You could get at least the majority of his outfit by going through thrift stores and buying stuff there. If you would rather make it, though, study all reference images you can find very carefully. I can't find many good ones, so I can't give any suggestions. If you find some good reference photos, suggestions can be given to you.
Unread 10-26-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
Iridescent_Fall

I second the wig idea. Check out CosWorx or Amphigory. In order to get your hair white you would have to bleach it several times (and even so, you might end up with frizzy, fried yellow hair). And this process can be expensive as I'm assuming you would want to have it done by a professional. A good wig is only going to cost you about $30.

What version of Ginko are you going to be doing? (Winter or summer) I'm looking at my DVDs right now and he's got several different items of clothing. Like zomgmissy said, look in your local thrift stores for clothes that you could modify or use. Or even better, sew them. For Ginko, I would stick with natural fibres such as cotton blends and linen.
However, since his clothes are 'Western' style and relatively plain looking, I think you should go the extra step to make your cosplay not only identifiable, but outstanding. Ginko carries around that box with him and it contains many different items that are a part of his profession as a Mushi-Shi. Make a scroll and paint pictures of Mushi on it that appear in the series. Make packets of medicine or other such things that Ginko collects or encounters along the way. Buy or make a fake cigarette (or whatever you want to call it.)
What would be really awesome is if you could get green contacts and style your wig in such a way where your right eye is always covered.

I would recommend that you watch the anime/ read the manga again and just take note of what Ginko does and his general personality. Then get plenty of reference pictures and just study them.

Good luck with the cosplay!

Edit: By the way, are you male or female? If you're female I would recommend that you bind and look into using make-up to make you look more masculine. If you're male, you might just want to look into a bit of make-up just to make your skin look more 'flawless' for photos.

Cosplay progress:
Zekrom Gijinka [100%]
Amaimon [100%] + Behemoth [20%]
Amaimon Yukata version [100%]
Oliver (Ni No Kuni) [5%]

Last edited by Iridescent_Fall : 10-26-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Unread 10-28-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
sicdedman
SicLeatherFace

ive never seen the anime,or read the Manga.. i just recently watched the Live action Movie... not knowing what it was about.. i found it facinating.. i went to bestbuy yesturday and saw they have the Anime.. i will look into buying it soon.. i will try and find and print out pictures of Mushi-shi and study them as you suggested! i will also watch the movie again and learn his movments,the way he talks ect.. im hoping to try and have my nieghbor help me with the costume!!! she is AWESOME wit sewing and knitting,ect. i am usless with a needle lol...

thank you soo much for all the info and idea's you guys have!!!
Unread 10-28-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
Iridescent_Fall

That's right! I almost forgot about the live action movie. I need to watch that soon. In that case, I guess most of my advice still applies, but if you're looking at the live action Ginko you've already got a 3-dimensional reference to work from (which is generally easier). However, I'd definitely recommend the anime. It's a really good series, and you'll get to see more of what Ginko is all about (26 episodes for the anime versus a 2 hour or so movie).

Again, good luck!

Cosplay progress:
Zekrom Gijinka [100%]
Amaimon [100%] + Behemoth [20%]
Amaimon Yukata version [100%]
Oliver (Ni No Kuni) [5%]

Last edited by Iridescent_Fall : 10-28-2008 at 08:42 PM.