Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > DC Universe

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #76
~H~
Original H

Thanks for the compliments on my Mercy outfit! I would love to get both a Lex and a limo to shoot with one day ^_^.

Thanks for the link dreamsofnever! Kelldar did do a wonderful job on her Black Canary. Regarding suggestions for your friend, perhaps the classic Clark Kent might work?

http://www.completelybonkers.co.uk/i...an%20clark.jpg
~H~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #77
dreamsofnever

Rasool Bros, you're right about the bald thing. I've been thinking about that and I'm just not sure. It's a shame he's not blonde, or we could go for Brainiac 5. Solomon Grundy would be awesome, but he's kind of more of a skinny guy so not sure how we could pull that off cuz he's not big enough to be Grundy. I'm going to email him with some of the suggestions and see what he says. A bald cap Lex would be pretty fun too I think. Thanks for the suggestions Rasool and H!

H-that's a great suggestion about Clark Kent! I'll probably suggest that to him. It would be easy since I've already put together a fake press pass for myself for my Lois Lane costume. My husband is doing the CK thing for the first day of the Superman Celebration, so it would be pretty easy to translate it for his friend for the second day.

And Kelldar is a genius I've gotten so much inspiration from looking at her costumes and reading her construction notes on everything. Right now I can only aspire to making costumes that are that well-done, but it's good to read her tips and maybe some day

Edit: Black Canary costume is finished! I'm liking the wig, though blonde is not my color. And I'm finished with all the details

Last edited by dreamsofnever : 05-02-2009 at 04:43 PM.
dreamsofnever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2009, 11:41 PM   #78
rassool bros.

Dreams: the canary costume looks great, i'd suggest a differents makeup foundation to compliment the blonde wig. what are the buckles on the boots made out of?
Unread 05-03-2009, 12:11 AM   #79
dreamsofnever

Quote:
Originally Posted by rassool bros. View Post
Dreams: the canary costume looks great, i'd suggest a differents makeup foundation to compliment the blonde wig. what are the buckles on the boots made out of?
Thanks! And I'll definitely do something else with make-up. I'm actually not wearing make-up there, so I'll probably play around with colors before I actually wear the costume.

And the buckles are just made out of upholstery weight vinyl. I used the same fabric to add the stripes to the gloves and the jacket. It was a pain in the rear trying to get those 'buckles' to look even. I measured and sewed and they didn't look right so I remeasured and resewed and they still don't look quite right, but the measurements are right. Oh well
Unread 05-03-2009, 11:57 PM   #80
Cerisa

Dreamsofnever: Awesome Canary cosplay! I like how the buckles and yellow details turned out on it :3

As for my Bat-belt, I managed to figure something out. It's a "button-back" belt with two belt loops and two buttons. Though my main gripe with my finished product is how my cape is applied. In a pin-test, pinning the cape closer to the collar (as it should be) created a little bit of bunching, though the way it looks now looks incredibly awkward and I worry about how it will show up in photos.

Seam-ripping it would be torture though, seeing as it took both velcro and snaps for the right "weight" in holding it down. Due to this experience, I've become reluctant to work with dancewear stretch knits, zippers, or velcro for future costuming purposes ;._. (though the first of those wound up not being so horrible in comparison to the experiences with the other two).

A few test photos of the completed dress/cape:
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...Picture002.jpg (The awkward cape attachment)
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...Picture003.jpg(Dress and purse, belt not pictured because it's in the purse)

In-dress test photos will be forthcoming, though I find it very hard to be photogenic, with or without makeup. I attempted to do wig test shots as well, but couldn't get a good one (especially with a horsefly entering my room and throwing my concentration off).
To be determined some time.
Cerisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2009, 12:03 PM   #81
rassool bros.

Cersia: i think it's going to turn out really well, but it looks as though you have too much of the capes fabric being wraped around you neck which is pulling it and changing the shape.
Brotherhood of the Bat is the best place for info on capes and cowls and stuff
Unread 05-04-2009, 11:11 PM   #82
dreamsofnever

Cerisa-thanks!

And I love your WIP. Beautiful colors! And I feel your pain. I never seem to like my pictures. I have a feeling that we're always our own worst critics when it comes to photos though.

Can't wait to see an update on the progress!
Unread 05-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #83
redx2501

i'm working on teen titans (cartoon) Red x i still need a lill help with the mask
Unread 05-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #84
rassool bros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redx2501 View Post
i'm working on teen titans (cartoon) Red x i still need a lill help with the mask
i was really tempted to do that at one point, let us know how it goes
Unread 05-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #85
~H~
Original H

dreamsofnever: Excellent new Black Canary outfit!

Cerisa: Are you working on a Robin costume? Whatever it is, it looks well-made ^_^.
Unread 05-07-2009, 11:53 PM   #86
dreamsofnever

thanks so much H! I'm just glad to be finished with everything
Unread 05-08-2009, 12:42 AM   #87
Cerisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~H~ View Post
dreamsofnever: Excellent new Black Canary outfit!

Cerisa: Are you working on a Robin costume? Whatever it is, it looks well-made ^_^.
Sort of! It's the first "Bat-Girl" (Betty Kane), who was in fact designed as a sort of female Robin analogue with a red and green color scheme. She didn't last very long though, before being phased out. And then years later, they introduced Barbara and Betty was mostly forgotten.

Thanks, though! It was pretty much a pain to get the velcro and snaps on, and I think I am going to have to alter the placement of the cape, though I'll wait until I'm good and ready to (it's gonna be a lot of seam-ripping and re-sew work, unless I can get some help). Nylon thread also was the devil for me, so I wound up breaking the "rules" of sewing stretch knit and put the cape together with polyester thread and straight stitching.

The dress wasn't TOO much of a pain to put together (collar was a little tricky to get down though), until the time came to install a zipper. It turns out that the one I had for it was a bit long, so there's a teensy bit of it that wouldn't sew right and just "hangs" on the inside. It doesn't seem too noticeable from the outside though, hopefully it'll stay that way.

I also made her purse for the costume, and considered making her gloves, but I think I'll do those later. 'Cause stretch knit may have not been so horribly difficult in retrospect (not when compared to the notions), but it's something I don't think I want to work with too often. At least when it comes to dancewear knits, shirt knits might not be so "bad".

I just hope at least one person recognizes the character or asks what I am, when I wear this one out to a con XD
To be determined some time.
Cerisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 01:04 AM   #88
dreamsofnever

Well, Cerisa, now that you've posted in here, someone will see you and know If I see you out at a con, I'll know!

I hate having to rip out stitches. I spent two hours sewing something last night and had to rip out ALL the stitches because it wasn't on there right. Yuck.

But anyways, your costume really does look cute! Stretchy fabric is always a pain, so good luck with the gloves. I much prefer vinyl. It's so nice and easy to sew through. (but doesn't breathe well at all, so not as comfortable to wear) Ah well, it's a trade-off!

That is cool that you're doing a more vintage character too.

It's not the same, but from a similar era-I really want to do a 1940s Wonder Woman costume. I think it would be fun to get together a whole group of Golden Age characters at a con one of these days.
Unread 05-21-2009, 04:54 PM   #89
vannadear

I just completed my first Black Canary Costume, along with a hybrid character between Wonder Woman and Slave Leia called "Wonder Leia".

I've also done a Wonder Girl costume, and made a Superboy costume for my BF.

Other DC costumes I have "in the works" right now are: 1940s Pinup Harley Quinn (original design), Classic Harley Quinn Jumpsuit, Poison Ivy, Wonder Woman, a Second Black Canary, and the Ame-Comi Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Michael Turner Supergirl, and Michael Turner's "Darkseid" supergirl.

I <3 DC

Upcoming Conventions
Shuto-con [March 2011]~Motor City Comic Con {May 2011}~Detroit Fanfare [Sept 2011]~Youmacon {Oct 2011}
vannadear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2009, 07:07 PM   #90
~H~
Original H

@KVC: You make a lovely Black Canary! I especially like your wig...so bombshell-esque ^_-. I can't wait to see the 1940s Harley Quinn!