Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 229 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #151
Lady Saru
Marchesa delle Arte

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMoufMouf View Post
XD Yeah, all the ballet books I've gotten from the library have been in the children's section. Luckily, my college library has a wonderful collection of ballet books for actual adults. I prefer Netflix though for all my ballet needs. They have lots of workouts and instructional videos, plus plenty of beautiful performances.
(Saru - You are a Bay Area cosplayer?)
I'll have to add videos to my mom's Netflix then. XD

(Yes. How'd you know?)
Phantom!Grell Sutcliffe (Design by Dio)
Subaru [Tsubasa: Tokyo Revelations]

Events:
Fanime 2011

Unofficial twin of Sakurai Atsushi~
Lady Saru is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-03-2009, 09:34 PM   #152
caisse
the sugoi princess

Quote:
Okay - wig help!
I'm starting to look for the Tutu wig, but I'm going to do her hair in Light Pink rather than orange.
This is exactly what I was thinking of doing for my Tutu wig!

I was wondering, now that it was brought up, how do people feel about doing light pink for the wig instead of her crazy uniquely-orange hair? Also, if anyone's dyed a Tutu wig, what did you start with? How'd you dye it?

katsucon 2012
friday;; feferi peixes [homestuck] | ramona flowers [scott pilgrim]
saturday;; stocking anarchy [pswg] | catherine [catherine]
sunday meenah peixes [homestuck]

caisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2009, 08:45 PM   #153
Lady Saru
Marchesa delle Arte

So stupidly happy...

Maman said she'd help me buy tulle from the Flower Mart.

Tulle there is ridiculosly cheap, and it's good quality. Thank you Maman's shop!~

Events:
Fanime 2011

Unread 01-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #154
MegumiHime
Fairy Doctor

For the male school uniforms, what material have fellow Tutu cosplayer's use?
Unread 01-08-2009, 04:34 PM   #155
Elderberry

@MegumiHime: Question seconded. *also on the fabric hunt* XD

I picked up some stretchy white fabric awhile back that's thick enough to not be see-through and seems promising (pickyture), so I'll post updates once I actually get around to sewing. :\ It's surprisingly hard to find fabric in that particular shade of blue for the jacket though, stretchy or no...(actual school uniforms probably aren't made from stretch fabric but I want to try to get that fitted look the jacket has in the anime, so uh, someone please let me know if I'm being delusional and unrealistic...XD||)

@Megzy-chan: I'd personally love to see some sort of coral-pink color as opposed to a crayon orange wig. I sharpie-dyed a short white wig light blue a few months ago, but I'd say starting with a light blonde wig would probably work just as well, since pink and orange are both warm colors so having a little yellow in there probably wouldn't hurt the final result. ^^; I personally tried dunk-dyeing first but after a couple times it didn't seem like the color was building enough so then I just put it back on the wighead and sprayed it in multiple intervals until I got the shade I wanted.

At this point it looks like I will be attending Katsucon but I already agreed to do an OAV!Kenshin/Tomoe couple cosplay with the boyfriend for that and was also enough of a genius to forget my sewing machine's power cable/foot pedal in my dorm over break, so I really doubt that I'll have anything else done in time for that...school uniform Mythos should be set when AnimeBoston rolls around, though. We should have a meetup and snap photos or something. :O
Shimizu Megumi (Shiki) Red & Black Outfit

Upcoming conventions:
Otakon '11 (~!!)

Last edited by Elderberry : 01-08-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Elderberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2009, 12:21 AM   #156
caisse
the sugoi princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderberry View Post
@MegumiHime: Question seconded. *also on the fabric hunt* XD

I picked up some stretchy white fabric awhile back that's thick enough to not be see-through and seems promising (pickyture), so I'll post updates once I actually get around to sewing. :\ It's surprisingly hard to find fabric in that particular shade of blue for the jacket though, stretchy or no...(actual school uniforms probably aren't made from stretch fabric but I want to try to get that fitted look the jacket has in the anime, so uh, someone please let me know if I'm being delusional and unrealistic...XD||)

@Megzy-chan: I'd personally love to see some sort of coral-pink color as opposed to a crayon orange wig. I sharpie-dyed a short white wig light blue a few months ago, but I'd say starting with a light blonde wig would probably work just as well, since pink and orange are both warm colors so having a little yellow in there probably wouldn't hurt the final result. ^^; I personally tried dunk-dyeing first but after a couple times it didn't seem like the color was building enough so then I just put it back on the wighead and sprayed it in multiple intervals until I got the shade I wanted.

At this point it looks like I will be attending Katsucon but I already agreed to do an OAV!Kenshin/Tomoe couple cosplay with the boyfriend for that and was also enough of a genius to forget my sewing machine's power cable/foot pedal in my dorm over break, so I really doubt that I'll have anything else done in time for that...school uniform Mythos should be set when AnimeBoston rolls around, though. We should have a meetup and snap photos or something. :O
Thanks for the advice! I think I'll end up sticking with a pink wig, then... so much easier that way. :]

And oh man. I totally second a photoshoot at AB! Is anybody else going this year?

katsucon 2012
friday;; feferi peixes [homestuck] | ramona flowers [scott pilgrim]
saturday;; stocking anarchy [pswg] | catherine [catherine]
sunday meenah peixes [homestuck]

caisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #157
Fenekk
I'm Ala-tan now?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii Spider View Post
I personally would love to cosplay as Autor at some point.

I considered Kraehe at some point, but nah, Autor is definitely my first choice. I don't have the build, complexion, eyes, or anything to be Kraehe, and her dress looks hard to keep on. XD
Both of these.
Fenekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2009, 03:10 PM   #158
Ranma 1-2

Pointe shoe lookalikes

Ok, so because all the dancers advise strongly against wearing real pointe shoes for cosplaying (danger and discomfort)..I decided to go for these instead. They are ballet soft dance shoes. As you can see they look very similar to pointe shoes but have no stiffening in them.
I did a bit of modifying to them. I made some toe boxes to fit inside, not for standing en pointe but just to make them look stiffer, and I added some ribbon ties to make them look more like pointe shoes.
They are really comfy to wear, and dance around in.
I like the compromise.
Here is how they look
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1870235/

Oh yeah, cost..I got mine off e-bay for about £6.95
make of shoes called "So Danca" eg
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/So-Danca-Balle...1%7C240%3A1318
May - London MCM Expo - Madonna :P
May - London MCM Expo -
Jun - London Film & Comic Con -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Ranma 1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2009, 11:12 PM   #159
LordMoufMouf
From another era....

They look great! The ribbons look nice too! I'm not sure about the white sole - preferably I'm not too fond of white soles on black shoes, but that's just me.

It may not happen to you, but my So Danca slippers fell apart relatively quickly and I found the soles quite uncomfortable on demi pointe...But of course I was using them in dance class.

Now I want to see some pictures of you in them!!

~~~
Not sure of any you live in the San Francisco bay area, but in SF they have the most heavenly wig store called "The Wig Factory". It's a cosplayer's heaven. I finally bought my Tutu wig - a light pink bob style. It's not layered or wispy - just a regular bob - but I wanted to go for a sleeker look. I hope to have some pictures soon!

http://stagsleap.deviantart.com
"Polite Frivolity" - Art, Life, Horses, and Ballet Blog

AOD~SF Cherry Blossom Festival~Gaskell Ball~Fanime~Clockwork Alchemy~Nova Albion~Handcar Regatta~Vintage Invasion

Princess Tutu~Sebastian Michaelis~Steampunk~NeoVictorian~Historical

LordMoufMouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2009, 08:43 AM   #160
Ranma 1-2

The rest of the costume is still wip at 'making a rough' stage. I may be able to do a quick closet cosplay just so you can see the effect of the black shoes and ribbons.

Demi pointe feels comfortable in mine (were your SoDanca's the split sole or full sole?)
My problem is I'm finding it difficult to practice flowing turns and pirouettes because the suede sole grips too much on the carpet. The only smooth flooring I have is in the kitchen which is small, ah well. Mind you I remember at the last Expo the stage had so much grip it was almost stickey! How can we pirouette gracefully on a surface like that!
May - London MCM Expo - Madonna :P
May - London MCM Expo -
Jun - London Film & Comic Con -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Ranma 1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2009, 09:41 PM   #161
Lady Saru
Marchesa delle Arte

Quote:
Not sure of any you live in the San Francisco bay area, but in SF they have the most heavenly wig store called "The Wig Factory". It's a cosplayer's heaven. I finally bought my Tutu wig - a light pink bob style. It's not layered or wispy - just a regular bob - but I wanted to go for a sleeker look. I hope to have some pictures soon!
.....8DDDDD
Please. Write me with the location info.

Wait...are the wigs reasonably priced?

And random note:
I'm happy because I finally got the hang of how to perform an arabesque de fondu.

Events:
Fanime 2011

Last edited by Lady Saru : 01-17-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Unread 01-18-2009, 04:47 PM   #162
LordMoufMouf
From another era....

Mine were split soles in canvas, and the shoes just didn't feel like they were put together well. Now I dance in a pair of leather split Blochs, which are amazingly comfy. I had to wear my canvas shoes one class because I forgot my leather ones, and it was agony.
Trying to do ballet on carpet is almost setting one up for failure. You can't push into the floor or use your foot the way you should. The kitchen would be the next best thing, but even then usually too slippery. Most dance floors are a special surface that allows pointe shoes to grip, but isn't too tacky or grippy.

"The Wig Factory" is at Mission and Caesar Chavez. http://www.yelp.com/biz/wig-factory-...c4A/query:wigs

The wigs are pretty well priced, in my opinion. Pretty average. Even if it's a few dollars more, it's better than ordering online, because you can see and try on exactly what you are getting.

(Pictures of arabesque? I wanna seeeeee! )

http://stagsleap.deviantart.com
"Polite Frivolity" - Art, Life, Horses, and Ballet Blog

AOD~SF Cherry Blossom Festival~Gaskell Ball~Fanime~Clockwork Alchemy~Nova Albion~Handcar Regatta~Vintage Invasion

Princess Tutu~Sebastian Michaelis~Steampunk~NeoVictorian~Historical

LordMoufMouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #163
Lady Saru
Marchesa delle Arte

.....8DDDDD

(As for pictures...before I do so, I need someone else to take a picture and my flexibility to recover from me slacking off for a while. [Mr. Cat was right. You take a day off, the audience will know. Also, it just puts me further behind.] But, I will try.)

Events:
Fanime 2011

Unread 01-19-2009, 05:08 PM   #164
CrystalNeko
Moogle Power~!

Arabesque en pointe!? =O I get impressed easily with people who can do an arabesque en pointe, because I fail hard xDD I would love to see pictures as well sometime <3
Ahhh I feel the same way! I was ill for 3 weeks [it was holiday period + 1 school week so I didn't miss much ballet] and I felt TERRIBLE on my first day back, I will forever listen to my teacher and stretch everyday to maintain my flexibility >_>; [yeaaah, that promise didn't last long ROFL]

Deciding on what wig to buy for Tutu and Ahiru always seems so hard X_x I always worry when it comes to wig styling, worried that I might buy a wig that's not thick enough for the job!
CrystalNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2009, 09:17 PM   #165
Lady Saru
Marchesa delle Arte

^_^;;;

You're overestimating me, dear. The highest I can go is half-toe, seeing as I am self-teaching. Still, thank you!

I stretch everyday in P.E., and I just try to remember. Also, when I wear really long skirts, I can practice positions while standing and no one sees....

Events:
Fanime 2011