Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 229 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #556
~Squid~

My friend and I are doing a princess tutu cosplay for an upcomming con in april.

I am going as Muto as the Raven prince, the problom is I am having quite a hard time finding referance images. I was windering if anyone could help me out.

My friend is going as Fakir in his knight outfit.

I am real excited!
~Squid~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-11-2010, 07:17 PM   #557
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyJennifer View Post
THANK YOU MUCH yes it makes so much more sene now. Sorry im a little so sometimes
I just edited the above post description and the drawings and the journal cuz I realised I had used centimetres and inches together - which is confusing. (38cm is 15 inches..) Well now everything is put in inches so it should make better sense.
May - London MCM Expo - Madonna :P
May - London MCM Expo -
Jun - London Film & Comic Con -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Ranma 1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #558
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Squid~ View Post
My friend and I are doing a princess tutu cosplay for an upcomming con in april.

I am going as Muto as the Raven prince, the problom is I am having quite a hard time finding referance images. I was windering if anyone could help me out.
A lot of scenes here in this episode..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcfCZzo8sgQ
May - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Unread 02-11-2010, 08:16 PM   #559
~Squid~

Thanks for finding me the ep!!8D.

I was hopeing not to take screenshots but that seems like my only option Dx
Unread 02-12-2010, 07:05 AM   #560
Ranma 1-2

~Squid~

Is that the one you mean when he is actually turned half Raven? or did you mean where he looks like evil version Prince Mytho in a black costume with a huge cape which looks like wings - where he is trying to seduce girls into giving him their hearts?

I've got lots of screen grabs of both. There doesn't seem to be many Mytho pics on the net, so screen grabs seems to be the only way.

If you want I can load up some pics into an online album..
May - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Unread 02-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #561
jenjenkc

Quote:
Originally Posted by culumon7 View Post
Has anyone tried dyeing net? I just got a new pattern that calls for 72" wide which I can only find in white/black. Wondering if dyeing will affect the stiffness.

In case anyone is interested, I wrote the sizes of the ruffles my pattern uses here. Rows 4-12 continue around the other half of the panty, while the measurements for rows 1-3 are only for one side of the butt. This is for a classical tutu with hip size 33"
Hi culumon7, when I redid my tutu using stiffer petticoat tulle, I had the same problem where I could only find white or black so I used this dye: Jacquard iDye Poly in pink. I bought it at a specialty art supply store. You just put all the white tulle into the washing machine then add vinegar according to the instructions during a wash cycle. It was really easy, the color was even, the tulle kept its stiffness, and the washer was totally fine afterwards (not stained and didn't affect actual loads of laundry). Hope this helps! ^_^
jenjenkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #562
MissyJennifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma 1-2 View Post
I just edited the above post description and the drawings and the journal cuz I realised I had used centimetres and inches together - which is confusing. (38cm is 15 inches..) Well now everything is put in inches so it should make better sense.
wait now im confused why is the length of the tulle 15 inches?
MissyJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2010, 09:46 PM   #563
~Squid~

Ranma 1-2

His back outfit with the wings. I'd be really helpful if you could up load a few pictures. I am going fabric shopping on monday.
Unread 02-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #564
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyJennifer View Post
wait now im confused why is the length of the tulle 15 inches?
..because 15 inches is the measurement from your waist out to the outer rim of the first (top) frill layer.
Look at pic 2 again. (I added some more to the pic)
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...rrent=pic2.jpg

This top frill which forms a cirlce around your waist actually starts out as a rectangle 15 inches by 224 inches but when it is gathered along one long edge the rectangle shape turns into a curve shape - the curve shape completes a cicle around the waist band.

If you take a tape measure and hold it against your waist and see where 15 inches comes out to you will see that is where the outer rim of the cicular top layer will come to.
May - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -

Last edited by Ranma 1-2 : 02-13-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Unread 02-13-2010, 07:48 PM   #565
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Squid~ View Post
Ranma 1-2

His back outfit with the wings. I'd be really helpful if you could up load a few pictures. I am going fabric shopping on monday.
Sorry about the quality, it's only as clear as the clips on YT.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...rince%20mytho/

I'm sure Ive seen some good cosplays of Mytho in his black costume here on Cosplay com too..
May - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Unread 02-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #566
~Squid~

Thank so much for the screemshots! they really help. I'll look up some cosplayer too, I've seen some before and they were really good!
Unread 02-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #567
MissyJennifer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma 1-2 View Post
..because 15 inches is the measurement from your waist out to the outer rim of the first (top) frill layer.
Look at pic 2 again. (I added some more to the pic)
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...rrent=pic2.jpg

This top frill which forms a cirlce around your waist actually starts out as a rectangle 15 inches by 224 inches but when it is gathered along one long edge the rectangle shape turns into a curve shape - the curve shape completes a cicle around the waist band.

If you take a tape measure and hold it against your waist and see where 15 inches comes out to you will see that is where the outer rim of the cicular top layer will come to.
i finally got why it was 25 inches when i was fabric shopping today but thank you for posting the explanation. I GOT MY PINK TULLE TODAY n the material for the feather part of tutus wig. I had to go to the Joann's in New Hampshire but it was worth the drive.
MissyJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #568
caisse
the sugoi princess

ALRIGHT, Tutu-ers. I've got some questions! For those who have cosplayed the infamous Princess Tutu herself...

- How did you do her headdress? How did you put it together? Attach it to the wig, etc?

- Is your dress connected to your tutu? How do you keep your dress/tutu together without either falling, etc?

- How does one attach pearls/embellishment to a garment? Hot glue? Is there a way to sew them on? (I ask this because I plan on 'glitzing up' my Tutu cosplay and would like to know the best way to go about things).

- For the non-dancers, where did you get your pointe shoes? Did you buy online or have them fit for your foot at an actual store?

katsucon 2012
friday;; feferi peixes [homestuck] | ramona flowers [scott pilgrim]
saturday;; stocking anarchy [pswg] | catherine [catherine]
sunday meenah peixes [homestuck]

caisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #569
miaka2u
In Search of a Full Moon

Caisse: I didn't cosplay Tutu, but my twin sister and I did a lot of work together and we helped each other through a lot of things! I may be some help to you! I'll leave the specifics on the crown and feathers for my twin, but I think I can help on the rest of your questions.

You asked about the dresses being connected to the tutu. In real ballet terminology when you have a piece of fabric laying over the tutu it's called a plate or overlay depending on what exactly you use on top of the tutu. Most plates are simply a layer of lightweight fabric with embellishments on it that can be easy removed so the tutu can be washed and reused for other performances and dancers. Typically they aren't attached directly to the tutu, but they are strategically tacked in place around the edges and near the basque.

Tutus that are pancaked normally have a steel hoop in them to keep the tutu in the shape and some classical tutus even have the hoops to keep them up. Regardless of the hoop however, after long wear the body oils and sweat will cause a tutu to droop. In performances tutus usually only last about 2 hours. That's it... sad huh?

I've seen a few Tutu cosplayers make all different kinds of contraptions to keep their tutus up though from zipties to wire hoops to hulahoops! If you can't go the steel hoop route there's plenty of ways you can make up to work to hold up that tutu!

As far as attaching the embellishments it depends on the care you'll give your costume (will you wash, dry cleanl). Make sure that you aren't hotgluing if you are washing in water. If you dry clean some gems and rhinestones melt with heat! Be very careful about what you buy! I've since washed my tutu and out came the hoops and in went all my gems. I handsewed EVERY SINGLE ONE on so I knew they'd survive a wash! And what a hassle!

Pointe shoes should ALWAYS fit your foot! Please see a professional to help you with options. You might realize pointes aren't for you.
miaka2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #570
NiGHTmaren
...into Dreams
Modoka Magica

Princess Kraehe progress! I got the wig and it's really pretty, I'm very happy with it!

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2449591/

Still some styling to do, but that's a good idea of what it looks like, anyhoo.

2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Holiday Matsuri (FL)

Upcoming costumes : Suzie Q from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Edea Lee (various versions) from Bravely Default, Robotnik (genderbend) from Sonic, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
NiGHTmaren is offline   Reply With Quote