Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #661
Ranma 1-2

Oh Wonderfull. I will be there for the weekend. I haven't decided my cosplay plan for Sat yet.. Because of the Euro cosplay taking over the normal masquerdae I thought I might just do a simple cosplay for Sat to wander around in. (I'm thinking it is prob gonna be even more packed!) ..I'm toying with the idea of cosplaying Rue-chan in her red practice dress. Although only Tutu fans might guess who I am cosplaying. It would be really easy to wear and lovely and cool in the hot Expo hall. Although it would be a bit slobby costume wise cuz I would just use a ready made dress I have. :S

Are you in Tutu group, are there any more going on Sat?
May - London MCM Expo - Madonna :P
May - London MCM Expo -
Jun - London Film & Comic Con -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Ranma 1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #662
desertsphinx
Sanity is for the weak

No!! Be Rue!! That makes me want to switch my costumes, so we could have Rue and Kraehe photographs. Plus her red dance costume is so gorgeous. Someone on here made it, but I can't for the life of me find it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHCd-...os=wytcGlqNSlE

Another Tutu video. I thought of you immediately after discovering it in my favs.

Just a thought, where do you buy your wigs? The shipping on cosworxs makes me cringe, plus I can't find the right colour for Tutu (like that colour exists anywhere).

Upcoming cosplay: Black Swan
desertsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #663
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsphinx View Post
Just a thought, where do you buy your wigs? The shipping on cosworxs makes me cringe, plus I can't find the right colour for Tutu (like that colour exists anywhere).
There are some shops on eBay who I have had good wigs from. eg full amount of hair, skin top partings etc, and prices I like. They tend to be more realistic looking, but I like them for that.

Here are some shops from my 'favourite sellers'

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/professionalonlyplus

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/upTrending?_rdc=1

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Vogue-Wigs?_rdc=1

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/wigs-plus?_rdc=1

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Annabelles-Wigs?_rdc=1
May - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Unread 08-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #664
desertsphinx
Sanity is for the weak

You are an angel!! That first website has a really good wig, for far cheaper than I expected!! I think I'm going to get a pink wig. I know a lot of people get orange but for me it's never seemed quite right and I can't find a pale enough one anyway. The creators of Tutu specifically thought "hmm, let us colour her hair the one colour you can't find in a wig shop anywhere!". I'm sure.

Bought my black tulle and some gold organza (is that right?) for Tutu's wings. The yellow looked like acid, even when it was only a single layer, but the gold has a lovely pale colour. I actually had a dream last night I found the perfect tulle for Kraehe's tutu. Sad, I know.
Unfortunately, that tulle doesn't exist in Peterborough, so I have two different types of hexagon tulle. One is thicker and coarser than the other, but was also 4 times more expensive, so only have a meter of it. It's enough for two layers of more supportive stuff.

Unread 08-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #665
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
You are an angel!! That first website has a really good wig, for far cheaper than I expected!! I think I'm going to get a pink wig. I know a lot of people get orange but for me it's never seemed quite right and I can't find a pale enough one anyway. The creators of Tutu specifically thought "hmm, let us colour her hair the one colour you can't find in a wig shop anywhere!". I'm sure.

Bought my black tulle and some gold organza (is that right?) for Tutu's wings. The yellow looked like acid, even when it was only a single layer, but the gold has a lovely pale colour. I actually had a dream last night I found the perfect tulle for Kraehe's tutu. Sad, I know.
Unfortunately, that tulle doesn't exist in Peterborough, so I have two different types of hexagon tulle. One is thicker and coarser than the other, but was also 4 times more expensive, so only have a meter of it. It's enough for two layers of more supportive stuff.
Aww thankies. ^_^ That's why they are my favourites. I'm glad it helps. The only answer for a Tutu coloured wig seems to be colouring it with sharpies. (Felt tips to you and me).

When you say 'the perfect tulle for Kraehe's tutu' what do you mean exactly?
May - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Unread 08-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #666
desertsphinx
Sanity is for the weak

The tulle (so far as I remember) had diamond-shaped holes and was stiff but not coarse and had a sort of sparkly-sheen to it. But it had a lable on it saying "Kraehe tulle" or "Magical ballerina tulle" on it...it was a dream. I'm not to be held responsible for my subconcious!

Not that that is an extreme example. I still have vivid recollections of a dream involving me and Mulan, as in the Disney character, riding the flooms at my old swimming pool, carrying magical glitter. (dont ask me why or how I knew it was magical, it just was). Then we were singing in rainbow tutus. I think I have an obssesion with them...

Anyway....today is the making of tutus the proper way!!

Last edited by desertsphinx : 08-07-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Unread 08-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #667
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
The tulle (so far as I remember) had diamond-shaped holes and was stiff but not coarse and had a sort of sparkly-sheen to it.
Yes definitely must have been a dream... ^_^

And WooHooo for making tutus the proper way!
May - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Unread 08-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #668
caisse
the sugoi princess

So I'm FINALLY going to make Princess Tutu for FanExpo this year! ...I've got little time (about three weeks!?), but a couple friends are helping me out so I should be able to pull it off?

I've already made a decision on the wig and know just how to make it the right color and think that I'll ask my friend whose very handy with jewelry and clay crafting to make the crown, bracelets and necklace. So that's about half right? Hahaha!

I'd like to know, however -

- If you've bought your tutus, where did you purchase them? (I asked this a while ago but would like some newer answers since some old links may not work anymore, new cosplayers, etc etc)
- How on EARTH do you do her feather headpiece?! I'd rather not go the feather boa route, but if that's my only option...?
- The wings - do you guys use snaps? A hidden belt? Velcro?

katsucon 2012
friday;; feferi peixes [homestuck] | ramona flowers [scott pilgrim]
saturday;; stocking anarchy [pswg] | catherine [catherine]
sunday meenah peixes [homestuck]

caisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #669
desertsphinx
Sanity is for the weak

Yo caisse!! You and I can help each other

I made both my tutus, each using a seperate method. Tutu's tutu was a no sew method. I think I bought 6 yards of tulle from the market at £1 a meter (because I love to mess up measurements), and that was more than enough.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ambrosialove/522118984/ I used this tutorial, but they all say the same thing. This method ends up being rather floaty, I actually had lenths 4Xs as long as I needed to, then I doublee them over, so the edge of my tutu was all loops. Of course that meant I got caught on everything, it was like walking around covered in giant velcro XD

The second method was the one Ranma 1-2 taught me, and the result is a flat "pancake" tutu. I can give you the instructions that Ranma gave me, if you'd like?

Btw, this method is going so AWESOME!! I've done three layers so far, all seperate, but put together they look so pretty!!

Ranma, I've just seen your question. No, I'm the only one from my group of friends doing a tutu cosplay. I might have a look-see on the MCM website to see if there is one.

Last edited by desertsphinx : 08-09-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Unread 08-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #670
caisse
the sugoi princess

@desertsphinx: Ah, thank you! <3 I would absolutely love those instructions, though I'm actually looking into buying online because I'm not sure if I have enough skill to make a professional-looking tutu.

katsucon 2012
friday;; feferi peixes [homestuck] | ramona flowers [scott pilgrim]
saturday;; stocking anarchy [pswg] | catherine [catherine]
sunday meenah peixes [homestuck]

caisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 02:43 AM   #671
MissyJennifer

Hai everyone sorry i disappeared for the last few months. i cant believe i forgot to post a picture of myself in my pointe costume.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...yMarmalade.jpg

I cant wait til Anime Boston 2011 i'm planning to do tutu's swan lake outfit

@Ranma 1-2 what's the name of the really stiff tulle that only comes in black and white i cant remember the name
MissyJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 03:53 AM   #672
desertsphinx
Sanity is for the weak

Quote:
Originally Posted by caisse View Post
@desertsphinx: Ah, thank you! <3 I would absolutely love those instructions, though I'm actually looking into buying online because I'm not sure if I have enough skill to make a professional-looking tutu.
Trust me, if I have enough skill to make a tutu, you can XD. It was the first thing I ever made, barring my sleeve rolls. I'll private message you the instructions, Ranma made them really simple and easy to understand.

Missy, your outfit it so gorgeous!! I'm a die hard Moulin Rouge fan, so you know I mean it

Unread 08-10-2010, 06:55 AM   #673
Ranma 1-2

Guys I turned my 'making a tutu' instructions into a full tutorial a while back cuz someone (on my other cosplay forum) suggested it.. I also found some more wip pics that I had taken whilst I was mkaing it.

Link to tutorial how I made my Kraehe tutu:
http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/tutorials/tutu

@MissyJennifer - you look professional. ^_^

- The tulle does not have a special name (that I am aware of). It's just that different manufacturers make it stiffer than others. I had read that diamond net (if you look at the mesh pattern of the tulle fabric) is stiffer than the hexagonal type. BUT I can't vouch for that beacsue I found some diamond net tulle which was very floppy.
The best answer for me was going to the fabric market and feeling the net tulle for its stiffnes. I went to three different sellers who had black tulle that was ooookaaaay and the fourth sellers tulle just felt a lot stiffer than the others so that's the one what I bought.
Just a note about the stiff tulle: it seems to be more coarse than the other stuff and if it touches your tights (pantyhose) it easliy catches and ladders! So much so that I attached some lining material on the underneath of my tutu were it was likely to come in contact with my tights. And that worked.
May - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Unread 08-10-2010, 08:13 AM   #674
desertsphinx
Sanity is for the weak

MissyJennifer, are you talking about 80 denier tulle? That's the only tulle I've ever seen talked about and mentioned that it only comes in white or black.

Unread 08-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #675
MissyJennifer

@desertsphinx aww thanks

@Ranma 1-2 thank you. but sadly i have no fabric markets around where i live . The tutu that i'm wearing in picture i posted only has 5 layers of this black diamond tulle and its sooo stiff theres a few layers of different pinks the black is what is keeping it up. and i store it this plastic bag that with the costume but i fold it so its facing down but every time i take it out it goes pancake flat everytime and i want to be able to have that with my new princess tutu tutu and here swan lake tutu.
Oh and believe me i know the lowest layer of tulle thats sewn to the panty is right on top of my thigh and its so ichy.

@desertsphinx im not sure of the name but Ranma 1-2 mentioned it earlier in the thread and i wanted to get it for my swan lake cosplay

I really love my pointe costume and was thinking of wearing it to future con, but if people ask me what i am what do i say lol. My friend also suggested that i just wear the leotard with out the tutu and suggested fishnets, high heels, and my black wig i got for my seth night road cosplay and i could go as a circus ringleader lol what do you guys think?
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2582597/
MissyJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote