Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 228 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-05-2010, 05:14 AM   #781
Ranma 1-2

@ LordMoufMouf - Your blog writeup says Everything people need to know about Kraehe's tutu. Brilliant. ^_^

@ desertsphinx - The book is called "Beginning Ballet" by Joan Lawson 2nd edition
ISBN 0-87830-056-2
It has patterns for various ballet costumes in the back section. They need to be scanned or photo-enlarged obv ..but the grid lines are also there so that helps.
The tutu pattern breaks down into these sections - tutu panty joins onto tutu basque, top skirt joins at this seamline. The top of this ensemble goes up just past waist. Then the tutu bodice is made seperately, it overlaps the basque with a pretty v dip at the front, and it is tacked onto the basque lightly with the ballerina wearing the costume to get the best fit and allow maximum movement for dancing.
May - London MCM Expo - Madonna :P
May - London MCM Expo -
Jun - London Film & Comic Con -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Ranma 1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #782
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma 1-2 View Post
@ desertsphinx - The book is called "Beginning Ballet" by Joan Lawson 2nd edition
ISBN 0-87830-056-2
It has patterns for various ballet costumes in the back section. They need to be scanned or photo-enlarged obv ..but the grid lines are also there so that helps.
The tutu pattern breaks down into these sections - tutu panty joins onto tutu basque, top skirt joins at this seamline. The top of this ensemble goes up just past waist. Then the tutu bodice is made seperately, it overlaps the basque with a pretty v dip at the front, and it is tacked onto the basque lightly with the ballerina wearing the costume to get the best fit and allow maximum movement for dancing.
Thank you! I really want to look at that now. Is it JUST about the costumes that ballerinas wear, or does it have anything about the actual dance? I'm just kind of thinking of getting that book to reinforce and help me understand what I've already read--I have Claudia Folts's book.

Visit my Facebook page!
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 05:50 PM   #783
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuraxTsubasa View Post
Thank you! I really want to look at that now. Is it JUST about the costumes that ballerinas wear, or does it have anything about the actual dance? I'm just kind of thinking of getting that book to reinforce and help me understand what I've already read--I have Claudia Folts's book.
It covers lots of things. The patterns are just the end section.
This is a rundown of the contents:
Introduction
Basic costume - Ballet shoes(darning sewing ribbon ties etc), Hair dressing, Dress for classroom and stage (requirements)
Making patterns - Where to measure your body points, cutting patterns etc
Knitwear - Making leg warmers
Class - The barre, The five basic feet positions, Basic deportment, Plies in all positions, Tendus, developpes, etc
Centre Practice The seven movements of dance, Five basic arm positons, Eight directions of the body, Pirouettes, First arabesque, Attitudes
Adage - Exercises
Allegro and steps of elevation - changement and glissades, pas de bourree, Echappes sautes changes, jetes etc
Sur les Pointes - first exercises
Stage Costume - Patterns and construction notes, classical tutu, les Sylphides and shorter Swan Lake dresses.
Classical Male dress - Tunic patterns and notes
The basic leotard and additions - patterns and notes
National costume - national skirts, pleated, circular skirt with frill, National blouses patterns and notes.
Demi-carractere Female dress - Jacket with tight fitting sleeves, corset or corselet, overskirt, bolero, patterns and notes.
Demi-carractere Male dress - Shirts and breeches, short tunic with full sleeves, diagrams notes.
Draperies - diagrams notes
Curtsey and bow- diagrams notes

There are no actual photographs, instead there are lots of drawings of the dancers and diagrams.
May - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Unread 10-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #784
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Quote:
It covers lots of things. The patterns are just the end section.
This is a rundown of the contents:
Introduction
Basic costume - Ballet shoes(darning sewing ribbon ties etc), Hair dressing, Dress for classroom and stage (requirements)
Making patterns - Where to measure your body points, cutting patterns etc
Knitwear - Making leg warmers
Class - The barre, The five basic feet positions, Basic deportment, Plies in all positions, Tendus, developpes, etc
Centre Practice The seven movements of dance, Five basic arm positons, Eight directions of the body, Pirouettes, First arabesque, Attitudes
Adage - Exercises
Allegro and steps of elevation - changement and glissades, pas de bourree, Echappes sautes changes, jetes etc
Sur les Pointes - first exercises
Stage Costume - Patterns and construction notes, classical tutu, les Sylphides and shorter Swan Lake dresses.
Classical Male dress - Tunic patterns and notes
The basic leotard and additions - patterns and notes
National costume - national skirts, pleated, circular skirt with frill, National blouses patterns and notes.
Demi-carractere Female dress - Jacket with tight fitting sleeves, corset or corselet, overskirt, bolero, patterns and notes.
Demi-carractere Male dress - Shirts and breeches, short tunic with full sleeves, diagrams notes.
Draperies - diagrams notes
Curtsey and bow- diagrams notes

There are no actual photographs, instead there are lots of drawings of the dancers and diagrams.
Wow, I like this book. I really want it now...it'd probably really help me (I get my positions for arabesque mixed up. :/) in both dance and costuming
Edit: And I found it used for only a few dollars! I'm glad I have ONE reason to be happy this week.

Visit my Facebook page!

Last edited by SakuraxTsubasa : 10-05-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Unread 10-06-2010, 04:54 AM   #785
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuraxTsubasa View Post
Wow, I like this book. I really want it now...it'd probably really help me (I get my positions for arabesque mixed up. :/) in both dance and costuming
Edit: And I found it used for only a few dollars! I'm glad I have ONE reason to be happy this week.
Result! I'm glad you found it. Like I said no photo's but the drawings are very descriptive and it seems to be quite thorough. I got it because it shows basic positions and had the patterns, and having no lessons I wanted to learn a bit of the technical side.
May - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Unread 10-06-2010, 06:04 AM   #786
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Hey, really random question here, but can you hurt yourself if you wear pointe shoes for a Princess Tutu cosplay and you've never had any instruction on how to wear them before? Or can you pretty much figure out on your own how to safely stand in them for pictures?
------------------
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #787
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulousity View Post
Hey, really random question here, but can you hurt yourself if you wear pointe shoes for a Princess Tutu cosplay and you've never had any instruction on how to wear them before? Or can you pretty much figure out on your own how to safely stand in them for pictures?
Ask a real ballerina that question. Second thoughts.. DON'T ask a real ballerina that question..

Short answer Do Not wear pointe shoes AT ALL if you are not a trained dancer and know what you are doing.
This is for your own safety. Why?? ..
1) It takes years of practicing and exercises to build up legs and feet to be able to do this. (It's takes a lot more strength than people think to stand en pointe.)
2) Without proper training you can stand incorrectly (sickle) and your whole foot can twist over - pulled tendons even broken ankle can result. Very painfull..Long time to recover.
3) Before you even stand in pointe shoes you need to have the right pair for your feet- we all have different shaped feet and you need a proper fitting to get a pair which suit the shape of your feet. Only trained people can fit you properly.
4) Pointe shoes need to be 'broken in' ..if you don't know what you are doing then it won't look right.
5) Without ballet tuition you won't stand correctly eg incorrect posture, lack of turnout etc and it won't look pretty.
6) Lastly..You will succeed in offending many real dancers who have worked hard to earn their pointe shoes - they will feel you are belittling both Ballet and thier dedication to their art. Seriously.

Bottom line - No it's a bad idea.
May - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Unread 10-06-2010, 11:09 AM   #788
desertsphinx
Sanity is for the weak

Ranma 1-2, I do believe you've successful turned what would have been a PAGES long argument into just one post. I'm sure you're supposed to win an internet, or pocky, or other material goods of your choice...cuddly toy? :P

On that note: PLEASE NO ONE ELSE POST ANYTHING MORE ON THIS. Ranma has done a excellent job of summing up the valid points on why non-professionals should never wear pointe shoes. Too many times has this thread turned into a debate about pointe-shoes. Yes, you may feel the need to argue your side, but a) you can't change their mind if it's made up and b)it gets OLD.

On a more positive note; I have time this evening to make some progress on my bodice, WHOOT! How's everyone else doing?

Last edited by desertsphinx : 10-06-2010 at 12:47 PM.
desertsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2010, 04:10 PM   #789
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Quote:
Result! I'm glad you found it. Like I said no photo's but the drawings are very descriptive and it seems to be quite thorough. I got it because it shows basic positions and had the patterns, and having no lessons I wanted to learn a bit of the technical side.
It's okay that there are no pictures--I've been taking ballet for around ten years now, but it never hurts to know more!

And desertsphinx--can I just add one more little thing for Fabulousity?
Fabulousity: They hurt. I put mine on for the first time since right before summer yesterday. They hurt. Nevermind serious injuries, it'll just plain be uncomfortable to stand, even on flat.
Kay, I'm done.

Visit my Facebook page!
Unread 10-07-2010, 12:36 AM   #790
LordMoufMouf
From another era....

The Pointe of it All...
PT Cosplay and Pointe - The Storm Continues

http://stagsleap.deviantart.com
"Polite Frivolity" - Art, Life, Horses, and Ballet Blog

AOD~SF Cherry Blossom Festival~Gaskell Ball~Fanime~Clockwork Alchemy~Nova Albion~Handcar Regatta~Vintage Invasion

Princess Tutu~Sebastian Michaelis~Steampunk~NeoVictorian~Historical

LordMoufMouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #791
desertsphinx
Sanity is for the weak

Good news my Tiny Dancers!! I have my Kraehe bodice and topplate. Or I will once I've sewned the bits of it that are currently held together with pins...BUT STILL.

And now I know how to make this darn things(ish) I can make Tutu's a whole lot easier. I wasted a day and a half of work on separate breast sections, only to find out they didn't work. Urgh.

I just wanted to share, because I have spent too long panicking I wasn't going to be ready. But now I have at least one cosplay.

Still not bought Tutu's wig...Aaah!
Unread 10-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #792
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsphinx View Post
Good news my Tiny Dancers!! I have my Kraehe bodice and topplate. Or I will once I've sewned the bits of it that are currently held together with pins...BUT STILL.

And now I know how to make this darn things(ish) I can make Tutu's a whole lot easier. I wasted a day and a half of work on separate breast sections, only to find out they didn't work. Urgh.

I just wanted to share, because I have spent too long panicking I wasn't going to be ready. But now I have at least one cosplay.

Still not bought Tutu's wig...Aaah!
Oh my gosh!! Cool! Pictures, pleaase!!!

Visit my Facebook page!
Unread 10-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #793
desertsphinx
Sanity is for the weak

Too quiet on this thread my lovelies!!

I promise, I WILL take pictures of Kraehe just as soon as I can. I started on Tutu today. Never done lining before...it is EVIL *twitch*

Off topic, but I'm saying it here, because i can't at school for fear of my life. I got the part of Rizzo in the school musical, and I am very excited. Of course, I offered my Tutu wig(when I get it) for Frenchy XD (See, see how I made that kinda of on topic there!?)

I promise I'm not badgering you Ranma, but are you doing Rue? I just want to decide which outfit to wear on Saturday, so I can test whether I can fit the other into a suitcase without it wrinkling.
Unread 10-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #794
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsphinx View Post
Too quiet on this thread my lovelies!!

I promise, I WILL take pictures of Kraehe just as soon as I can. I started on Tutu today. Never done lining before...it is EVIL *twitch*

Off topic, but I'm saying it here, because i can't at school for fear of my life. I got the part of Rizzo in the school musical, and I am very excited. Of course, I offered my Tutu wig(when I get it) for Frenchy XD (See, see how I made that kinda of on topic there!?)

I promise I'm not badgering you Ranma, but are you doing Rue? I just want to decide which outfit to wear on Saturday, so I can test whether I can fit the other into a suitcase without it wrinkling.
(I know, it was bothering me)
Ahah well good luck with that lining! How's it going so far then? And you can always stuff both in the suitcase and bring an iron or something.

Visit my Facebook page!
Unread 10-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #795
desertsphinx
Sanity is for the weak

Well, I've started with the topplate, so I'm hemming in a freaking circle, with lining *facepalm*. It's frustrating XD, I'm slowly getting the hang of it though.