Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-10-2010, 11:06 PM   #841
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raNar View Post
Bodices can be made out of several different fabrics, but it depends on if you're going for an accurate ballet constructed bodice, a leotard like bodice, or just a costume/evening dress bodice.

I used a bridal satin, but I've seen normal satin, casa, velvet, taffeta, etc for non-stretch bodices. I've seen ponte, knit, spandex, etc for stretchy-leotards type bodice.

Good luck with your costume! I love seeing all the new work people are doing.
:P I know me too! XD

I'm going for as accurate as possible. I have a bodice pattern picked out already and everything...I have a plaaaaaan. xD
And my pattern won't work with a leotard-type bodice (and those are generally used for tutus that are most likely going to be used several times by dancers with different body types etc., for example Nutcracker stuff since it's Christmastime.)
But I'll definitely take a look at some of that. Thank you!

Visit my Facebook page!
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2010, 11:45 PM   #842
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Hi, random question. I'm told that bengaline is good for the bodice (as well as moire and faille), except I've never actually SEEN any of them before. Can anyone help me?

Visit my Facebook page!
Unread 12-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #843
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

Bengaline is what I'm using for my Kraehe. If you want more info on the fabrics, this is pretty helpful.

http://www.tutu.com/fab_beng.html#bengcomp

If you don't mind the other two fabrics being a bit more ornate because of the patterning of the grossgrain, that would be another good option. I was originally going to go with tafetta, which I've also seen work pretty well for tutu, and velvet can be a good option as well.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one just starting to work on her PT costume! I purchased the sequins I'm using for Odile Kraehe last night and have a pair of demi-pointe shoes picked out, I just need to pay for them. I should be starting on the costume early next month.

2014 Conventions :
Katsucon (Washington, DC) - Megacon (FL) - Colossalcon (OH) - Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA)

Upcoming costumes : Yuffie from Kingdom Hearts, Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #844
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hime no Toki View Post
Bengaline is what I'm using for my Kraehe. If you want more info on the fabrics, this is pretty helpful.

http://www.tutu.com/fab_beng.html#bengcomp

If you don't mind the other two fabrics being a bit more ornate because of the patterning of the grossgrain, that would be another good option. I was originally going to go with tafetta, which I've also seen work pretty well for tutu, and velvet can be a good option as well.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one just starting to work on her PT costume! I purchased the sequins I'm using for Odile Kraehe last night and have a pair of demi-pointe shoes picked out, I just need to pay for them. I should be starting on the costume early next month.
Thanks! But I've actually been lurking around tutu.com and can't figure out what the scale is on the pictures Ms. Folts has up.

Aaaaaaahhhh I probably can't start until after this school year, but I'm getting all my patterns and stuff right now...

Visit my Facebook page!
Unread 12-16-2010, 08:42 AM   #845
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

You might be able to put in a request for fabric swatches too - and they can also order fabrics special order for you if you have a certain fabric in mind that isn't listed on their site. I haven't ordered anything yet off their site, but I do know what I am getting, and I'm planning to put my order in for it next month since MegaCon is end of March and that's when I need it done for. I got two long months ahead of me.

2014 Conventions :
Katsucon (Washington, DC) - Megacon (FL) - Colossalcon (OH) - Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA)

Upcoming costumes : Yuffie from Kingdom Hearts, Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, and more!

Unread 01-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #846
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

(Oops, I never saw that.) Eh, it's cheap, if I get it, chances are either I'll like it or I'll find a use for it.
And and and show us how it's coming out! If you've started :P

So while I'm waiting for my patterns to come in and such, I have a question that I've been thinking about for a while:
As Princess Tutu fans, what would you rather see in a skit? A skit showing off pure skill that tells the story? A skit that makes fun of the dancing? (Not in a mean way, like I've seen one that had DDR and Anime Boston 2010 had one that had like....Dancing Queen and the Chicken Dance and that stuff.) Or what do you WANT to see in a Princess Tutu skit that you haven't seen?

Visit my Facebook page!
Unread 01-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #847
DarkChaos
SCAD Sequential Student

Personally, I'd love to see someone who can do a real ballet piece with traditional music like in the anime, but I have never seen anything like that in a skit, so I think it would be neat

Ohnah the Shadow (original character) (60% complete) (Progress currently on hold)

Up-Coming Con(s):

AWA: Might be attending.
DarkChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 07:49 PM   #848
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkChaos View Post
Personally, I'd love to see someone who can do a real ballet piece with traditional music like in the anime, but I have never seen anything like that in a skit, so I think it would be neat
I was thinking that too! Because really, all I've ever seen is skits sort of making fun (not in a bad way) of the fact that it's all like dance.

Visit my Facebook page!
Unread 01-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #849
LordMoufMouf
From another era....

Oh boy, I could go on and on about skits. -_-;

Don't cheapen it. Don't cuss, don't say "let's f*ck!" just because that would be funny because the characters wouldn't actually say that.
Most Masquerade skits are downright awful - they cater to the lowest common denominator and rarely show any theatrical skill. They are poorly rehearsed with awful theatrical technique. They are undisciplined and pure torture to watch.

Yeah, sure there are exceptions, but in my opinion most skits are pretty awful.

Here are some of the best PT skits I have found:

Otakon 2007
AnimeNEXT 2010 (However, she needs to get a male partner who will actually support her and learn how to put his shoulders back...)
Ohayocon 2010 While not the best technique, this cosplayer chose to dance in slippers (yay!), and her love for dance and performance is evident. I really like this skit.

Otakon 2009 - Okay, this is a skit that I personally believed was ruined by a decision to cater to the masses. It started out beautifully, but ended in a flaming mess of fail.

http://stagsleap.deviantart.com
"Polite Frivolity" - Art, Life, Horses, and Ballet Blog

AOD~SF Cherry Blossom Festival~Gaskell Ball~Fanime~Clockwork Alchemy~Nova Albion~Handcar Regatta~Vintage Invasion

Princess Tutu~Sebastian Michaelis~Steampunk~NeoVictorian~Historical

LordMoufMouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #850
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMoufMouf View Post
Oh boy, I could go on and on about skits. -_-;

Don't cheapen it. Don't cuss, don't say "let's f*ck!" just because that would be funny because the characters wouldn't actually say that.
Most Masquerade skits are downright awful - they cater to the lowest common denominator and rarely show any theatrical skill. They are poorly rehearsed with awful theatrical technique. They are undisciplined and pure torture to watch.

Yeah, sure there are exceptions, but in my opinion most skits are pretty awful.

Here are some of the best PT skits I have found:

Otakon 2007
AnimeNEXT 2010 (However, she needs to get a male partner who will actually support her and learn how to put his shoulders back...)
Ohayocon 2010 While not the best technique, this cosplayer chose to dance in slippers (yay!), and her love for dance and performance is evident. I really like this skit.

Otakon 2009 - Okay, this is a skit that I personally believed was ruined by a decision to cater to the masses. It started out beautifully, but ended in a flaming mess of fail.
First of all, let me just say thank you so much for sharing those with me. I had never even seen the first two, which is surprising because I've spent a long time going through Princess Tutu skits on YouTube.

I think I've made my decision, lol, and I think I'll keep my ideas of doing ballet and I'm going to TRY and tell the story through that and probably have a voiceover of Drosselmeyer or something.

Now, because I don't really want to go back to writing my paper, I kind of want to share my opinion about those skits even though it's essentially the same as yours:
In the first one, the only thing I don't like is the role that I guess that was Fakir was playing--he acted more like Drosselmeyer would have.
In the second, I completely agree: she is a really good dancer, but her partner clearly knows nothing about ballet. He wasn't really supporting her at all, and that's why she kept losing her balance, but she didn't really show it (which was good).
For the third, I also completely agree. Out of all of the skits that had some sort of ballet in it where the girl wasn't en pointe, she was definitely the best, because she actually showed some knowledge in ballet, which I loved.
And for the last one..........I have nothing more to say. I absolutely loved the ballet in the beginning, and other than that, yeah, what you said.

I think I'll keep my skit in line with classical ballet and not throw in uncharacteristic other music stuff. (I've been trying to plan a PT skit for around a year and a half now.)

Visit my Facebook page!
Unread 01-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #851
LordMoufMouf
From another era....

Glad you liked my input. ^^
I think people truly enjoy GOOD skits. Sure, yaoi, dirty jokes, pairings, and shagging will all get laughs, but the skits that stick with people are going to make you wonder, make you watch, and maybe even make you think.
Another way of planning a skit would be to ask yourself: "Would this skit make someone go out and watch the anime?"

http://stagsleap.deviantart.com
"Polite Frivolity" - Art, Life, Horses, and Ballet Blog

AOD~SF Cherry Blossom Festival~Gaskell Ball~Fanime~Clockwork Alchemy~Nova Albion~Handcar Regatta~Vintage Invasion

Princess Tutu~Sebastian Michaelis~Steampunk~NeoVictorian~Historical

LordMoufMouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #852
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMoufMouf View Post
Glad you liked my input. ^^
I think people truly enjoy GOOD skits. Sure, yaoi, dirty jokes, pairings, and shagging will all get laughs, but the skits that stick with people are going to make you wonder, make you watch, and maybe even make you think.
Another way of planning a skit would be to ask yourself: "Would this skit make someone go out and watch the anime?"
Of course! And thank you for posting that (and this) in the first place!
Also thank you for confirming what I've been thinking myself.
That's kind of why I want to do something like the Umineko skit at Anime Boston 2010, which won first in performance, I believe. (By the way, that's the only reason I went and watched the anime afterwards.)

Visit my Facebook page!
Unread 01-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #853
hectorwatts03

@the AnimeNEXT 2k10 skit: From my recollection, I believe I saw the two cosplayers around the area at the time before the masquerade shooting photos. Initial observations on the two let me to believe that they were just doing this for fun. I decided not to inquire about it further as they appeared to be in a rushed state trying to take as many photos as possible before their skit. After seeing these clips of the masquerade, I had a different yet benevolent opinion on the matter, and agree with you LordMoufMouf. It's not often I do take a look, as I usually stay away from anything Masquerade related for personal reasons.
hectorwatts03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #854
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

So um...I just got really excited.
It turns out that Team USA at the World Cosplay Summit 2010 was the story of Rue and Mytho. And it wasn't bad. And Rue had the dress that I said I wanted to make some time ago......
And it made me reaaaally really happy. It wasn't really amazing, in my opinion, but I still really liked it. The only thing that bothered me was Rue's voice, but oh well. It was just a little too high, but I don't caaare, it was Princess Tutu at WCS.

Visit my Facebook page!
Unread 01-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #855
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

I ordered the tutu kit (finally)! I have two months to make this...oh boy, I sure hope that's enough time. A frill tutu can take anywhere from 20-120 hours depending on how many layers and your experience with them, so I'm kinda nervous. That's not even counting the work going into the bodice, bead and applique work, making the crown and feathers, etc. I'll have to be very diligent if I want to get this done for Megacon but I'm really determined! I'll be posting progress too to share with everyone here.

As for skits, yeah, for Tutu I tend to enjoy more serious skits. I love seeing trained dancers cosplaying Tutu and Kraehe and performing in a skit, but sadly I am not a trained dancer so I'm opting to simply do a walk-on with music (Gymnopodie No. 1, Kraehe's them in the OST) instead of a skit. I do have an idea for a skit that would be absolutely stunning, but I'd have to find dedicated cosplayers and dancers for it and it would be a ton of choreography, too. I don't see it panning out, in reality...but it will always remain a dream of mine.

2014 Conventions :