Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 229 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-13-2008, 07:51 PM   #76
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Saru View Post
A Kraehe crossplayer?

....I love you. I really do.
^_^ Yes, I'll give it my best shot. Kraehe deserves a lot more love. If I can get another spot in the masquerade competition I will do a neat little stage performance to woo the crowd (like I did with Sailor Mars).
At the mo I'm formulating how to takle making the costume, so these tips and ideas are all handy, thanks.
May - London MCM Expo - Madonna :P
May - London MCM Expo -
Jun - London Film & Comic Con -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Ranma 1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-15-2008, 03:07 AM   #77
Sakura Efreet
Meep...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma 1-2 View Post
I keep reading that it is dangerous if you are not a trained dancer. And especially if you are a guy. What is the danger exactly.. slipping over, sickling and breaking an ankle, compression fracture of a metatarsel? The design of the pointe shoe seems to support the whole foot so that the weight is not all going through the toes, and actaully I feel quite steady on them now. But I am still expecting to be told off. ^^
So yeah, what exactly is the danger?
Oh goodness. Yes, the lovely dangers of pointe! I'm exhausted (I should be in bed! I have work tomorrow and a flight Tuesday morning BUT.... cosplay dot com compels me!), but I will try to remember all the things my teacher has taught me over the years.

Sickling is very, very dangerous. Landing on your feet wrong after being en'lair (oh my, 3 years of French in high school did nothing for me... basically, after leaping, sliding and slipping, or not landing right and hurting your foot). Not being on your platform (the flat part of the toe) completely, causing unneccicary strain on the ankle. Also, foot deformity problems from wearing pointe shoes constantly, but that is something professional ballerinas face. It is dangerous for young children to go en pointe because it hinders the growth of the foot and can deform it as well. Most teachers make students wait until they are 12 or even older to began pointe, and also have years of training under them.

In my own opinion (not professional!), I think that men en pointe is just looked down on in general. You would think they would be stronger, since generally they have thicker, more muscular ankles. Thankfully dance society is trying to see past gender, and there are now ballet companies that have men on en pointe. I know there is one company where they are all men and they all have toe shoes.

Really, if you are not leaping or doing anything that is obviously not the wisest thing to do for someone without training, then you should be okay. Just posing on your toes every once in a while shouldn't hurt (in the long run that is-I am not saying it won't hurt your toes!). Just make sure you are on your platform, not leaning to one side or the other of the shoe, but on the shoes' flattest part. Don't do anything long term though.

You will also need something for your toes to keep them from aching. Prima ballerinas have little to no cushioning, but you will probably want something to save your toes (My teacher says these are for wimps! That just lets you know, they are very comfy!): Click

Also, if you want to wear pointe shoes to a con but don't want to worry about slipping, get pointe shoe covers, and take them off for pictures: Clicky.

Really, though, you should ask a professional dancer or dance teacher for some guidance, even if you are just going on your toes. They can show you how to do it properly, though it wouldn't surprise me if they say "Don't do it!"

I would hope you seek out a professionals help, but I know that isn't always possible, and if you are going to go on your toes, you may as well be safe about it. I hope I helped.

Again, I'm no expert. This is all my own opinion and if anyone gets hurt... don't blame me. I gave fair warnings!

I live in Ohio and I try to catch every con in this state and the surrounding states (when money allows).
I have been cosplaying since the age of 9, and when I'm not cosplaying...
I'm a college student and an Irish dancer. ;]
Sakura Efreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2008, 08:57 AM   #78
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura Efreet View Post
Oh goodness. Yes, the lovely dangers of pointe! I'm exhausted (I should be in bed! I have work tomorrow and a flight Tuesday morning BUT.... cosplay dot com compels me!), but I will try to remember all the things my teacher has taught me over the years.
Thanks for your really great answer Sakura, and for taking the time to spell it all out.
tbh I thought I was just gonna get severely told off.

I personally think girls look much nicer en pointe than men and the only reason I want to do this is because it is a crossplay (so it still looks like a girl doing it - if that makes any sense). I think it will be a nice touch and also my tribute to Kraehe if I can just do her classic pose en pointe. Like you said I won't be doing it for any prolonged periods. If I do a masquerade performance it will not involve jumping and leaping (I can't do that) but more slower moves just to give the look of ballet without it being too difficult for me. for example I have learnt some of the correct arm positions..obviosly my turnout is rubbish ^^) But I could do some turns (not en pointe), and safe dance moves.. and just pose en pointe for a bit.
I wouldn't dare trivialise the amount of training and hard work that a real ballet dancer goes through to perfect their art. Ballet dancers have my deepest respect and admiration. I love what they do, that's why they are my favourite subject to paint and draw.

I am quite light weight build so I think this helps.
It is never my intention to go through pain to perform a cosplay. I read how some girls just used masking tape around their toes and this seems to work for me - just enough to take off the hardness from the inside surface the toe block. It's not like I am en pointe for any length of time. I hope this makes you feel less worried.
May - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Unread 12-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #79
Lady Saru
Marchesa delle Arte

God...I'm seriously considering getting Tutu's special leotard (not with tutu and blue..feathers, just the leotard with white skirt) commissioned. I would probably destroy a leotard if I tried it.

/uselessness
Phantom!Grell Sutcliffe (Design by Dio)
Subaru [Tsubasa: Tokyo Revelations]

Events:
Fanime 2011

Unofficial twin of Sakurai Atsushi~
Lady Saru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2008, 12:41 AM   #80
Sakura Efreet
Meep...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma 1-2 View Post
Thanks for your really great answer Sakura, and for taking the time to spell it all out.
tbh I thought I was just gonna get severely told off.
I'm happy I could help! I wish I could be there to see your "mini" performance! I feel that the Princess Tutu series doesn't get enough love. I think it has something to do with the fact it's about ballet and looks "cutesy"; it is to a degree, but it is so much more than that.

Be sure to post updates and pictures as you progress with your costume!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Saru View Post
God...I'm seriously considering getting Tutu's special leotard (not with tutu and blue..feathers, just the leotard with white skirt) commissioned. I would probably destroy a leotard if I tried it.

/uselessness
I decided to put off making my costume for a few months. I'm going out of town for 3 weeks and I want to be able to focus on my Tutu cosplay. I may just commission it too... Ugh. Dunno! But I won't need it until Anime Punch!.

I live in Ohio and I try to catch every con in this state and the surrounding states (when money allows).
I have been cosplaying since the age of 9, and when I'm not cosplaying...
I'm a college student and an Irish dancer. ;]
Sakura Efreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2008, 12:44 AM   #81
MegumiHime
Fairy Doctor

Is anyone planning to cosplay from Princess Tutu at ACen, Otakon, AUSA this year?
Unread 12-16-2008, 06:18 AM   #82
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
I'm happy I could help! I wish I could be there to see your "mini" performance! I feel that the Princess Tutu series doesn't get enough love. I think it has something to do with the fact it's about ballet and looks "cutesy"; it is to a degree, but it is so much more than that.

Be sure to post updates and pictures as you progress with your costume!
Hopefully Tonyo will be there to video the performance for his Youtube account.
You can get an idea of the type of performance I will put together from the Sailor Mars cosplay I did last October if you want to see it
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qn84-HBBxtE
except obviosly it will be an arrangement which really fits Kraehe. One idea I had was to actually use Gymnopedie for the music track and really go all out for the classical ballet feel. Tutu fans would get it and for them it would be a touching tribute performance. But I think it could be wasted on most people if they havent seen the anime. So I might just go for another contemporary upbeat track.
btw Princess Tutu hasn't reached our shores yet. I tried to buy it but the only DVD's available online are from USA and they are all region 1 so they won't play on our players.
The only way I was able to watch Princess Tutu is on Youtube. But as soon as it comes out over here I will def be buying it. I agree, ..it is cutesy but so much more than that! And if you are into ballet there is even more..I love all those refrences to ballet stories eg the Willis from Giselle, the red shoes..Oh my gosh the visuals when the two ravens fly in through the window and turn into her black ballet shoes..I love it!

Ok so I will post updates as I make progress.
May - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -

Last edited by Ranma 1-2 : 12-16-2008 at 06:31 AM. Reason: sorry my baaaaad spelling ^^
Unread 12-16-2008, 06:16 PM   #83
Lady Saru
Marchesa delle Arte

Quote:

I decided to put off making my costume for a few months. I'm going out of town for 3 weeks and I want to be able to focus on my Tutu cosplay. I may just commission it too... Ugh. Dunno! But I won't need it until Anime Punch!.
I need mine by Fanime (5 months), but I'll be debuting at least 2 other cosplays, so I'm working on them simulataneously. I can finish two with items from thrift stores, but this one is special.

Events:
Fanime 2011

Unread 12-16-2008, 07:17 PM   #84
kira_elric
Enforcing Satisfaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegumiHime View Post
Is anyone planning to cosplay from Princess Tutu at ACen, Otakon, AUSA this year?
If I end up going to Acen, I'll have Mytho with me. ^-^
kira_elric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2008, 07:19 PM   #85
MegumiHime
Fairy Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira_elric View Post
If I end up going to Acen, I'll have Mytho with me. ^-^
Awesome. I'm debating about Fakir or Autor xD;
Unread 12-17-2008, 01:32 PM   #86
Cosplay_Kitten
Pandora Hearts Cupcake

I'm really debating on making Ahiru's school uniform, anyone have any good patterns for that?

EDIT: Scratch that...I think I'm gonna do Tutu's outfit XD

So my question is I have an enchantment wig in blonde from amphigory, how should I dye and cut it to fit tutu's hair?

Last edited by Cosplay_Kitten : 12-17-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Cosplay_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2008, 08:09 PM   #87
Lady Saru
Marchesa delle Arte

Another Tutu!

8D

And a random comment...I figured out how to pin my bangs back so that if I spray them with enough hairspray, it'll look like the curl that sticks up.

Events:
Fanime 2011

Unread 12-19-2008, 11:18 AM   #88
ladymatsuya
Is it naptime yet?

I was thinking about how to get your hair to look like Princess Tutu's, Lady Saru. Perhaps you could get your hair tied up like Anthy Himemiya from Revolutionary Girl Utena. I bet you could flatten them out with some bobby pins and then cover the rolls of hair with the feather headpiece. I'm not sure, I never really tried this. It'd be worth a try, if nothing else. I still think you'll have to cut yourself some bangs for the ultra accuracy, though.
ladymatsuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2008, 06:15 PM   #89
Cosplay_Kitten
Pandora Hearts Cupcake

So what is everyone doing for tutu's outfit? A leotard or like...a strapless dress that looks like a leotard?
Cosplay_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2008, 06:40 PM   #90
Allspice

I danced en pointe for about a year before I had some toe complications, and a busy schedule which ultimately led to me dropping out of dance. It is uncommon for guys to do pointe for many reasons.

Most dance studios have limited numbers of male danseurs, so they choose to use the men for partnering and lifts, and usually don't bother teaching them to dance solo.

Secondly, guys generally have heaver top halfs, due to muscles, broader shoulders, ect. Something about the ratio adds more stress onto the ankles. I don't remember the exact reason why, but my dance teacher told me. (I was 12 at the time, so I didn't listen much)

At my dance studio, if you were a boy in the thinner, shorter range of things, you got the choice of whether or not to enter pointe. I chose to.

If you're a guy, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE buy shoes designed for MEN. They do make them, I PROMISE. But female pointe shoes are designed for different weight distributions. If you use them, you risk seriously injuring yourself.
Allspice is offline   Reply With Quote