Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 159 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-20-2008, 05:20 AM   #91
Ranma 1-2

Thanks for the advice Allspice. (respect to you btw for being a real dancer)
I am very slim. I am often at the but end of friends jokes about it. Funny that.. yet when I crossplay I get great compliments.. So the point is, I think I must be toward the safer end of guys en pointe.
I have to admit I never heard of special pointe shoes made for men.. Womens normal shoe sizes fit me cos I'm small. I know that the shank helps supports the body weight and that new pointe shoes are broken in to custom fit the dancer.
I won't kid you, it takes an enormous amount of muscle strength for me to just stand en pointe gracefully. I wouldn't try to dance en pointe. Would you say I am at risk of injury even just standing en pointe for a few seconds to pose?
May - London MCM Expo - Madonna :P
May - London MCM Expo -
Jun - London Film & Comic Con -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Ranma 1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-20-2008, 11:11 PM   #92
LaPetiteSalope
I approve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma 1-2 View Post
I wouldn't dare trivialise the amount of training and hard work that a real ballet dancer goes through to perfect their art. Ballet dancers have my deepest respect and admiration. I love what they do, that's why they are my favourite subject to paint and draw.

I am quite light weight build so I think this helps.
It is never my intention to go through pain to perform a cosplay. I read how some girls just used masking tape around their toes and this seems to work for me - just enough to take off the hardness from the inside surface the toe block. It's not like I am en pointe for any length of time. I hope this makes you feel less worried.
Masking...tape? O_O?

lol. I think you mean athlete's tape/toe tape.
I've been dancing for eight years (I stopped when I was 12-13 and I'm starting to get back into it again XP). Like everyone else says, it's the best idea not to go on pointe if you didn't have training because you have a higher chance of sickling or rolling your ankle- but as long as your ankles are strong enough and you arn't doing crazy moves like grand jete or pirouettes you'll be fine.

For cushioning feet, I used these pouches called "ouch pads" (they come in wool or gel-depending on what you prefer...but I thought the wool sucked for comfort in my opinion). Some of my friends used lambs wool too. I remember my toes bled after my first week of pointe....yeah...fun stuff. Things like blisters, boils, cuts of the feet are common. Please remember to cut your toenails too ><.

For shoe brands...I never seen a men's pointe shoe before so I wouldn't know. But because you are new to this I'd recommend buying a pointe shoe with a larger box (Bloch's "Aspiration" shoe) because it is easier to balance in (cheap too). I loved using Grishko shoes--but all of my Grishko shoes were old and dead by the time I finished my princess tutu cosplay. T_T

wow. Long post. Hope it helps ^^
LaPetiteSalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2008, 09:14 AM   #93
Ranma 1-2

I got the impression it was just masking tape..these ballerina's were all discussing on a forum if gel toe pads were a good or bad thing and the Russian girls were saying they could not afford such things and used tape to stop blisters on thier toes whilst the veterans insisted they had absolutely no protection but preferred to 'feel the floor' through the toe block etc etc
Ok you can laugh. ^_^ I didn't have sports tape so I tried it with masking tape. I found it felt more comfortable than with nothing, the inside of the toe block is really hard and tights are not that thick, so yeah. ^_^
But I'm only posing for a few seconds en pointe - no dancing en pointe. I think I should be ok..
May - London MCM Expo - Madonna :P
May - London MCM Expo -
Jun - London Film & Comic Con -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Ranma 1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 01:18 PM   #94
Allspice

You should be fine if you're just posing for a couple seconds.

Also, this is from personal experience, cause I've done a ballet cosplay before that required dancing shoes (not pointe shoes, just flats) but walking around a convention all day with no foot support WILL hurt your feet. Just giving you a heads up.

As for tape, I always use Mepore tape from the pharmacy. Its got a little more give to it. You can actually buy tape designed for toes, but I think it's stupid, and a waste of money. Athletic tape will work fine, but isn't meant for hours of use. And actually, the tape you can buy is VERY similar to masking tape, so I don't blame you for getting the two confused. Professional dancers don't use athletic tape, only because it rips off the skin with it, although, the advantage is it doesn't sweat off. Mepore tape is the same as masking tape, but it's designed for skin, and it provides more support (IMO) than athletic tape.

Also, gel pads are fine, but you don't have to spend that much money on a pair you're barely gonna use. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask here or drop me a PM. =)
Allspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 02:25 PM   #95
ladymatsuya
Is it naptime yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosplay_Kitten View Post
So what is everyone doing for tutu's outfit? A leotard or like...a strapless dress that looks like a leotard?
We're using a leotard, but we're doing the Swan Lake variant. It depends what kind of look you want the costume to have. For the in show version, I personally prefer a boned bodice to a leotard UNLESS you can find a leotard that sits the same way as her dress with invisible straps or something. I don't like invisible straps personally, so that's why I'd go with the bodice. Up to you though, I know my friend really prefers the look of the leotard.
ladymatsuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 02:52 PM   #96
Sakura Efreet
Meep...!

I am really wanting to cosplay Tutu for Ohayocon now, and I'm going to try to get it done in time. I want to do the swan lake version.

I read somewhere about a girl with a costume that had feathers bought cheap angel wings and took the feathers off them, since feathers are generally really expensive.

Anyone else have any tips about feathers? Or with taking the feathers off the wings? I don't have much money at all right now so I don't want to screw this up xP.

I live in Ohio and I try to catch every con in this state and the surrounding states (when money allows).
I have been cosplaying since the age of 9, and when I'm not cosplaying...
I'm a college student and an Irish dancer. ;]
Sakura Efreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 05:15 PM   #97
Allspice

my biggest tip is buying in bulk is cheaper, if you find craft stores near you that sell LOTS of feathers, it's really not bad. Generally though, places only sell 5-10 feathers per package, and that gets expensive.
Allspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 05:23 PM   #98
MegumiHime
Fairy Doctor

Online is probably your best bet for bulk feathers. Not sure on the websites or such, but just try a simple google search. Generally online bulk orders are alot cheaper and will save money there.

But in the meantime, I'm still debating who to cosplay, but I'm thinking I'm really set on Fakir. And I'll probably do more then just his school uniform.
Unread 12-23-2008, 12:02 PM   #99
Sakura Efreet
Meep...!

Okay! Now, I have found several places that sell bulk feathers. But, what kind do I buy? There are so many different kinds to choose from. x.x;

Fakir is awesome. Good luck with your cosplay!

I live in Ohio and I try to catch every con in this state and the surrounding states (when money allows).
Unread 12-23-2008, 12:42 PM   #100
ladymatsuya
Is it naptime yet?

I have some fluffy feather boas for the bodice and headpiece, and we're going to try duck feathers for the skirt. Only slightly appropriate for Tutu. XD I'll let you know how they turn out when we get them in the mail.
ladymatsuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2008, 04:31 PM   #101
Lady Saru
Marchesa delle Arte

Duck feathers? *mock gasp* So cruel!

I think if I use enough hairspray, I can get my hair to stick up like Tutu's. The biggest problem is having it hold up....
Phantom!Grell Sutcliffe (Design by Dio)
Subaru [Tsubasa: Tokyo Revelations]

Events:
Fanime 2011

Unofficial twin of Sakurai Atsushi~
Lady Saru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #102
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

use spiking glue and hair spray, rather than just hairspray. That will give you hold to the MAX.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2008, 05:00 PM   #103
LordMoufMouf
From another era....

Hi everyone! I'm finally starting on my Swan Lake variant for the next con season! I'm so excited for this one!!

I wanted to share these with other members:
Satin Daisy Slippers

These slippers are satin, not canvas or leather, so after you dye them they resemble actual pointe shoes!
~~
I'm also using actual duck and goose feathers too! I used to work with fowl a lot, so I have boxes full of naturally shed feathers.

http://stagsleap.deviantart.com
"Polite Frivolity" - Art, Life, Horses, and Ballet Blog

AOD~SF Cherry Blossom Festival~Gaskell Ball~Fanime~Clockwork Alchemy~Nova Albion~Handcar Regatta~Vintage Invasion

Princess Tutu~Sebastian Michaelis~Steampunk~NeoVictorian~Historical

LordMoufMouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2008, 12:28 PM   #104
Sakura Efreet
Meep...!

I could never wear satin ballet slippers. They killed my super wide feet! It was always upsetting for me, too , because I think they are soooo pretty! Thanks for adding that for everyone else, though!

I'm so excited about cosplaying Tutu. I am not going to color my pointe shoes though, because they are almost brand new. I can't find my old ones...

Unread 12-24-2008, 10:33 PM   #105
ThreadofFate
Princess of Spazz

I found a great guide to making Tutu's necklace out of polymer clay, but I have no talent. xP

Maybe with practice, I can get it. ^^
ThreadofFate is offline   Reply With Quote