Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 47 votes, 4.98 average.
Unread 11-11-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
TwilightAmelia

Fallout 3 Cosplay

I do commissions for my friends in addition to working on my own costumes, and my roommate this year has decided she wants a costume from Fallout 3 (specifically the Vault 101 jumpsuit). her boyfriend thought it would be a cute (hah!) couple cosplay if he had one to match. So now I have two orders for Vault jumpsuits, and no experience to work with.

Has anyone else thought of doing Fallout costumes? Has anyone done a jumpsuit-style costume in the past, and if so, do you have any advice for me?

Unread 11-11-2008, 09:58 PM   #2
F. Silverberg

Sorry, I got nothing to add to this, but Fallout 3 is pretty awesome.
Unread 11-12-2008, 05:58 AM   #3
pablofiasco

ive been considering some fallout3 costumes myself, but havent done any jumpsuits either.
one thing that may help: try to find someone with the collecters ed artbook, its full of various bits of concept art, including the vault suits from various views/peoples
pablofiasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
Bwentali

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/...43753_640w.jpg

here is a page from the artwork book for you to go based off of. TBH I am planning a cosplay in a similar style. what not is shown is on the collar there are the numbers "101" sewed on. Also on the back of the costume there is the large branding "101" taking up the shoulder area.

a picture to illustrate:
http://fallout3.files.wordpress.com/.../fallout04.jpg

there are two elements that I think will be the hardest of the outfit:

the plastic portions of the outfit-the tubing on the right-hand side going to the right shoulder and the belt which is some type of steampunk.

the pipboy 3000-currently in the process of making it, and its no fun. not sure if your commission includes the pipboy but its one of the major parts of the costume.

the easiest way - buy a jumpsuit, sew on some seams to make it look like multiple pieces, sew some foam into the knee joint (for a mock kneepad), add plastic parts, make belt, sew on yellow 101 and trim, and presto!

The Hard Way (with Caps!) - I don't think making a jumpsuit is all that bad, never really made one so I have no insight on the matter.

in any case, it shouldn't be all that bad just a little intensive thats all
Bwentali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

There's a ton of pictures on ign.com, lots of views of the pip boy 3000 My boyfriend wants the armoured vault 101 jumpsuit and I'm going to be a raider.

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/901/901269/imgs_1.html

For the jumpsuit (since there aren't many sewing patterns for them) try getting 2 patterns: long sleeved button down shirt and basic pants. Then just attach them at the waist. That's what I plan to do anyway. There's a lot of stylelines (extra seams) on the jumpsuits, especially with the yellow sections on the front, so some pattern drafting will be involved if you want all those in there.

hope that helps and post pix of the progress and when it's all complete.
Xavietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2008, 05:04 PM   #6
TwilightAmelia

Thanks. n__n I have the collector's artbook and the diagrams of the costumes in it are insanely helpful. Also, one of my friends is taking screenshots for me with his graphics settings on the highest possible. I'll be sure to post progress once I get started on it.

Xavietta, be sure to post pictures of your raider costume.
Unread 11-13-2008, 07:34 AM   #7
Pliskin
Fortune Hunter

I'm actually working on a BoS costume myself, hopefully see it how it comes out, maybe try to get a group together.
Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #8
TwilightAmelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
I'm actually working on a BoS costume myself, hopefully see it how it comes out, maybe try to get a group together.
You're brave, the BoS costumes are massive!

And Bwentali, I've got that exact diagram I'm working with, plus some screenshots that show the 101 logo. The Pip Boy 3000 might be a bit of work, but we're also scouting out places to buy or order them. I'm all right with props, but not fantastic. As for the steampunk-y piping and the belts, my roommate is a steampunk veteran, so hopefully she'll be able to help. These costumes will probably end up being more of a collaboration than a commission. ;D
Unread 11-13-2008, 12:56 PM   #9
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

colllaboration costumes are allways more fun then doing them by yourself xD I have to say this though, the style isn't really steampunk, it's more cyber.. not to say your steampunk veteran can't help

Pliskin: good luck with that be sure to post about your progress too!

I'm still in the planning stages of my costumes (patterns, materials, al that fun stuff I'll post some pix when I'e got something done.
Unread 11-13-2008, 10:07 PM   #10
WoggyWooWoo
Kind of a big deal

Quote:
Depending on the con, you might count me in on this! Well, if I can get the damn thing to run on my computer, grrr....
WoggyWooWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 08:32 AM   #11
TwilightAmelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavietta View Post
colllaboration costumes are allways more fun then doing them by yourself xD I have to say this though, the style isn't really steampunk, it's more cyber.. not to say your steampunk veteran can't help

Pliskin: good luck with that be sure to post about your progress too!

I'm still in the planning stages of my costumes (patterns, materials, al that fun stuff I'll post some pix when I'e got something done.
Cyber, then. Whatever. Its not my specialty, but Rae assures me she'll be able to figure out that weird piping thing. At least the entire costume isn't covered in cyber elements, that could get a bit tricky.

You guys with the BoS costumes absolutely MUST show us what you're working on and how it looks! I only wish I had the skills to try and make one of those. n__n
Unread 11-14-2008, 08:42 AM   #12
Bwentali

to those of you planning a BoS cosplay: I wish you the best of luck. that is WAY too much piecing together of stuff for my needs. if anything the armored vault 101 should be pretty cool and believeable but thats just me.

@ twilight: I can only give insight on the pipboy from what I know from making mine. using the pipboy 3000 alarm clock as reference I was able to determine the pipboy takes up a majority of the left forearm, with spacing to allow movement without pinching. the screen takes up 2/3 of the unit, the last 1/3 for pipboy functions and the small boarder on the right. the model is actually kinda lax in its detail work, there are some minor details that will be difficult to achieve (that wheel next to the screen is a pain to find) but the rest are just changes to the mold.

you have a couple options for the screen, the cheapest being plastic packaging placed in boiling water with black (painted) cardboard and cold cathode lighting.

(Quick walkthrough: cut out plastic packaging in shape of screen, only slightly larger to ensure equal coverage after bend. the bend is there to help simulate the old style CRT monitor that the screen uses. grab an image of the health/status pipboy screen in proper dimentions. lay over cardboard and cut out all green portions with an exacto knife. set bent plastic and cardboard cutout into pipboy model. wire a PC cold cathode tube (from what I read you can use a 4 aa power supply you can buy at radio shack to power the tube. run time is about 6 hours) and set behind pipboy screen and presto!)

Or you can do a digital picture frame, to give it the illusion that its actually working. much more expensive though, and finding a 4:3 screen is a pain in the booty.

I would give you pictures of mine, but I prefer to hold off until I have at least a layer of gesso on it. but if you need some pointers I can give em.
Unread 11-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #13
Pliskin
Fortune Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoggyWooWoo View Post
Depending on the con, you might count me in on this! Well, if I can get the damn thing to run on my computer, grrr....
Heh, well, the BoS armor isn't going to so much be the tough part, as the minigun/gatling laser I have planned to go with it. But you knew that already.
Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #14
Bwentali

Quote:
Heh, well, the BoS armor isn't going to so much be the tough part, as the minigun/gatling laser I have planned to go with it. But you knew that already.
its not too bad actually, the minigun that is. there are a bit of finite details that would be tough to create, but I think some PVC piping and wood boxes could make the general frame of the gun. then tack on details to the frame with cardboard or something. you can even make the ammo backpack open up to hold all your swag.

The toughest part of any minigun: making the barrels spin :P
Unread 11-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #15
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwentali
The toughest part of any minigun: making the barrels spin :P

yes! I love when props move or light up Do you have any pix of your pipboy yet? I haven't even begun to think about making my boyfriends yet, I'm more focused on my raider armour