Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 01-28-2015, 10:05 AM   #1
HayBails

Lolita on a Budget

I thought that there should be a place for people to post things like good buys or tutorials for those budget lolitas who want to look adorable but are trying to stretch their money (like myself).

Ex: I found this post the other day about how to make a purse out of old stuffed animals and I can't wait to try this.
http://carisseiris.blogspot.com/2012...ed-animal.html
HayBails is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2015, 10:46 AM   #2
kattandtygah
Tag-team of Derp

Milanoo is cheap and the clothes are a better quality than I was expecting. I recommend them for any Lolita fan on a budget. ^_^ I bought a beautiful burgundy dress there for $75. With a cheap blouse I bought off Amazon, a vest I bought on sale at the local renaissance faire, some cheap stockings, and a pair of shoes I got on clearance at Target....It's the cheapest Lolita outfit I've ever put together. Most of my accessories are hand made or hand me downs. Actually...I have a lot of hand me downs. xD I've found plenty of gems in thrift stores too that were easy to modify or were perfect on their own.

Current Project: Rikku and Yuna from Final Fantasy X
Next Convention: Kraken Con
Saturday Cosplay: Rikku and Yuna from Final Fantasy X
Sunday Cosplay: Gijinka Mew and Mewtwo from Pokemon

Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Patreon
kattandtygah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2015, 11:33 AM   #3
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattandtygah View Post
Milanoo is cheap and the clothes are a better quality than I was expecting. I recommend them for any Lolita fan on a budget. ^_^ I bought a beautiful burgundy dress there for $75. With a cheap blouse I bought off Amazon, a vest I bought on sale at the local renaissance faire, some cheap stockings, and a pair of shoes I got on clearance at Target....It's the cheapest Lolita outfit I've ever put together. Most of my accessories are hand made or hand me downs. Actually...I have a lot of hand me downs. xD I've found plenty of gems in thrift stores too that were easy to modify or were perfect on their own.
No, no, NO. Milanoo has been practically blacklisted by lolitas. They have frequently sent out poor quality products that look NOTHING like the picture.

For good quality, affordable lolita, try Fan Plus Friend and Bodyline.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2015, 11:42 AM   #4
kattandtygah
Tag-team of Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThakYuki View Post
No, no, NO. Milanoo has been practically blacklisted by lolitas. They have frequently sent out poor quality products that look NOTHING like the picture.

For good quality, affordable lolita, try Fan Plus Friend and Bodyline.
Oh. 0_o The two dresses I bought from them look identical to the picture and are still in good shape after several years of use. I DO agree that not all Milanoo products are equal, but I haven't had a bad experience with them yet. Thanks for the warning, though. I'll be more skeptical in the future.

Unread 01-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #5
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Oh. 0_o The two dresses I bought from them look identical to the picture and are still in good shape after several years of use. I DO agree that not all Milanoo products are equal, but I haven't had a bad experience with them yet. Thanks for the warning, though. I'll be more skeptical in the future.
Do you own any legit Lolita dresses? Because if you think anything on there is good quality of have to think you don't. A lot of people don't understand how bad of quality they are until they actually own something that actually is.
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts II)
-Cloud (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Chandelure (Pokemon)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)
-Spirit (Soul Eater)
Jei-Cos is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
HayBails

I tend to make my own but i've seen some good stuff from some of the cheaper sources along with bad stuff. But you need to calm down. I'm not sure if I read your post the wrong way but it just came out as if you where calling everyone ita's and thats rude. To be lolita dose not mean you have to own brand anything. This thread is for alternatives for people who want to save a few hundred dollars. It is not for others to put others down. If you want to do that then go to BTB or something.

On a happier note if your ever in need of a blouse try a thrift store. I have found countless amazing blouses at thrift stores for my historical costuming. But some of them tend to translate well into lolita fashion. You could always alter it or add details if necessary.
Unread 01-28-2015, 07:50 PM   #7
kattandtygah
Tag-team of Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jei-Cos View Post
Do you own any legit Lolita dresses? Because if you think anything on there is good quality of have to think you don't. A lot of people don't understand how bad of quality they are until they actually own something that actually is.
Yes, actually. But it's an expensive fashion style and because I enjoy dressing up daily, I experimented with cheaper options for everyday wear. I will say that my first dress from them has an awkward seam at the waist, but because I wear it with a bodice, vest, or other over the dress clothing item it's a non-issue for me. I also bought a lolita skirt from them that I absolutely love. I've surprised people in the past with the cheapness plus quality of the items I've bought from them, so I suppose it's all about picking and choosing which items you get.

For example, I've seen terrible "cosplay" wigs on Milanoo, but the long white one we bought for our gijinka Mewtwo cosplay is thick, highly heat resistant, and easy to style and de-tangle. When you're dealing with cheap sites like Milanoo there is a certain amount of common sense involved when shopping. They're not a brand they're a distributor, so not all of their products will have the same quality.

I may have gotten lucky with their lolita clothing but it certainly isn't because I've never had good quality lolita clothing, so I don't know any better. Typically I tell people that they get what they pay for - the good stuff costs money. But this isn't a thread about the best lolita shops and brands. It's about budgeting. And on a budget, Milanoo hasn't let me down yet. -shrug- I can only report on my own personal experiences. I don't claim to represent the entire lolita subculture.

Unread 01-28-2015, 08:00 PM   #8
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Yes, actually. But it's an expensive fashion style and because I enjoy dressing up daily, I experimented with cheaper options for everyday wear. I will say that my first dress from them has an awkward seam at the waist, but because I wear it with a bodice, vest, or other over the dress clothing item it's a non-issue for me. I also bought a lolita skirt from them that I absolutely love. I've surprised people in the past with the cheapness plus quality of the items I've bought from them, so I suppose it's all about picking and choosing which items you get.

For example, I've seen terrible "cosplay" wigs on Milanoo, but the long white one we bought for our gijinka Mewtwo cosplay is thick, highly heat resistant, and easy to style and de-tangle. When you're dealing with cheap sites like Milanoo there is a certain amount of common sense involved when shopping. They're not a brand they're a distributor, so not all of their products will have the same quality.

I may have gotten lucky with their lolita clothing but it certainly isn't because I've never had good quality lolita clothing, so I don't know any better. Typically I tell people that they get what they pay for - the good stuff costs money. But this isn't a thread about the best lolita shops and brands. It's about budgeting. And on a budget, Milanoo hasn't let me down yet. -shrug- I can only report on my own personal experiences. I don't claim to represent the entire lolita subculture.
Fair enough I guess. But that doesn't make them good. They don't have any legit Lolita items so regardless what you get it isn't actually Lolita. So no matter how the quality is, it's not Lolita. It's Lolita inspired or something. Idk what else to say because honestly you can think however you want about them. But they are blacklisted for a reason. If you don't agree that's up to you. Doesn't make them wrong for blacklisting them. And we weren't talking about wigs. We were talking about Lolita dresses. They sell low end dresses and the the ones thT match up to the legit ones are resellers and they are fake and not suppose to sell them.
-Chandelure (Pokemon)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)
-Spirit (Soul Eater)
Unread 01-28-2015, 08:35 PM   #9
HayBails

In her defense she was using wigs as an example of one of her several purchases from the site. It's like saying I use ebay a lot for smaller cosplay things and it can be a hit or miss. Ex. My sister got gloves there the other day for a formal cosplay and they look awesome but there are tons of other times you go on ebay and totally hit a miss for ex. Lovely Lor's tri color pastel wig was nothing like she thought it would be. But although I have not seen the dresses she's mentioned it's rude to say they aren't lolita. Lolita style isn't about buying from a brand at all. Its more about first the simple silhouette of a lolita (ex. petticoat) and the history inspired clothing style (can change depending on sub style). I'm hoping that makes sense. Normally I've only seen real issues with replica dresses that are low in quality and not resale or original dresses.
Unread 01-28-2015, 09:34 PM   #10
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayBails View Post
Normally I've only seen real issues with replica dresses that are low in quality and not resale or original dresses.
Oh, I'm sorry, I think I was confusing lol I didn't know to word it..This part you said though, this is what milanoo sells. Low quality replicas or fakes. Things that are a big no no in the Lolita community.
-Chandelure (Pokemon)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)
-Spirit (Soul Eater)
Unread 01-28-2015, 10:35 PM   #11
HayBails

Yeah its an understandable mistake. Our friend here just seemed to find a few diamonds in the ruff (or fluff lol puns).
Unread 01-29-2015, 12:02 AM   #12
kattandtygah
Tag-team of Derp

Quote:
In her defense she was using wigs as an example of one of her several purchases from the site. It's like saying I use ebay a lot for smaller cosplay things and it can be a hit or miss. Ex. My sister got gloves there the other day for a formal cosplay and they look awesome but there are tons of other times you go on ebay and totally hit a miss for ex. Lovely Lor's tri color pastel wig was nothing like she thought it would be. But although I have not seen the dresses she's mentioned it's rude to say they aren't lolita. Lolita style isn't about buying from a brand at all. Its more about first the simple silhouette of a lolita (ex. petticoat) and the history inspired clothing style (can change depending on sub style). I'm hoping that makes sense. Normally I've only seen real issues with replica dresses that are low in quality and not resale or original dresses.
Yes, that. Although lolita culture has a high focus on quality, it's not the quality that makes it lolita. It's the style. High quality comes with high cost. Just because someone can't afford high cost doesn't mean they can't wear the fashion. I'm not going to look down on someone for their knock off Coach purse because, ultimately, our purses look the same. We're rocking the same style. My purse will probably last longer because it's higher quality, but not everyone can afford $200 for a purse.

I didn't know Milanoo was blacklisted because (a) I tend to shy away from the social aspect of the lolita culture because...I'm very shy and antisocial by nature but also (b) I've never had any personal issues with the site and I've only ever received compliments on my lolita outfits. So something must be working. =P

And the fact of the matter remains. High quality and high cost typically go hand in hand. This thread is for us to share some budgeting tips that have worked for us. Milanoo worked for me. If it hasn't worked for you, then you should be encouraged to share your story. It's for the readers to decide what they want to do with the information. This shouldn't be an argument, just a sharing of experiences. Though with such a negative stigma attached to this site, I'm sure everyone will be running for the hills about now. xD

Also, for those interested, I can give some personal reviews of my dealings with them.

I bought this dress first. It's the one with the wonky seam on the waist, which you can clearly see in the picture (hence me not being upset about it). The bow pictured in it detaches and I turned it into a hair piece with some embellishments.

The other dress I've been talking about is no longer sold on the site, so I can't link a picture. It was a pink sweet lolita dress that didn't have any flaws that I noticed. It sat well on my body, had a gorgeous shape with a petticoat, and was nicely durable.

This blouse and skirt combo I bought more for the skirt than the blouse, but 2 pieces for that price seemed good for day to day "casual" wear. My only real complaint is that I can be picky with the ribbon used in my lolita clothing, but re-stringing the ribbon is cheap and easy.

If you'd like an example of a low quality Milanoo dress, I also bought this, which is fairly Halloweeny (but you can tell by looking at the picture if you're someone used to lolita clothing). This definitely isn't something I would wear to a lolita event, but the lace on the chest area is lovely and I think it's fine for casual everyday wear. I wouldn't recommend this dress for someone looking for a legit lolita dress, but it suits my own personal aesthetics just fine and it was exactly what was advertised. I'm only linking to it to show that I wasn't tricked into buying a low quality item - the quality of the garment is pretty easy to discern.

Is it my go-to site for all things lolita? Definitely not. But it IS budget friendly and everything I've ordered was exactly the thing that was advertised. With a little creativity and modification, you can totally pull off some decent lolita looks. This is my budget friendly experience, not my how-to-be-the-best-lolita-ever advice. Because, of course, this isn't a contest. Looking down on someone who loves lolita fashion for having a cheap dress is just as bad at looking down on a cosplayer for buying a costume, or getting some details wrong, or having crooked seams, or being too sexy, or any of the other million and five things that cosplayers get judged for. We're all into the same thing. What works for some of us doesn't work for others, and that's okay. It doesn't make my style less lolita, just less expensive.

This judgmental attitude ("you're not a real cosplayer/lolita/whatever") is what turned me off of the subcultures for so long. It took me a while to gather the confidence to face the naysayers with a smile and a shrug. I apologize for the rant, but being told my dresses aren't lolita without them being seen is a pet peeve of mine. It's not about where the dress comes from or how it's made. It's about love of the style. The fact that this turned into an argument at all instead of a simple sharing of experiences boggles my mind. I am always interested in hearing the experiences of others - the larger the information pool, the more informed our decisions.

Last edited by kattandtygah : 01-29-2015 at 12:07 AM.
Unread 01-29-2015, 02:16 AM   #13
Eldi
Jelly Sausage

I've seen a lot of good deals on secondhand (not reproduction) stuff on ebay and storenvy, especially you can often find secondhand bodyline stuff for pretty damn cheap, maybe because people often move on to more expensive brands and are willing to part with them for very little. I think the most budget-friendly way to go might be making your own clothes- if you know how to sew. I'm just starting to get into the fashion and so far almost everything I have is handmade, because I like to sew and it's more accessible to me. There are many lolita styles that are very easy to sew- if you have a few solid blouses and other basic items you can make a like dozen skirts easy as pie and have so many outfits. Some things can be modified, rather than made from scratch as well. If you have a stockpile of nice lace trims, you're golden! And accessories are super fun to make too!

Also, if you're looking for a petticoat, I've seen that this one is often recommended, so I thought I should vouch for it myself here. I just bought one recently, and I like it a lot, it's very full and has that "all filled-in with ruffles" look from underneath, which I love. It can be a bit short when worn at the waist though if you have long legs, is my only complaint.
Spellthief Lux- League of Legends
Alice in Wonderland

Cosplays in Progress:
Mirai Kuriyama- Beyond the Boundary
Rose Quartz- Steven Universe
Cocoa- Is the Order a Rabbit?
Aikawa Shokora- Chocolat no Mahou
Eldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2015, 01:08 PM   #14
HayBails

Dose anyone know of a place where people sell second hand replicas?
Unread 02-20-2015, 03:16 PM   #15
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Dose anyone know of a place where people sell second hand replicas?
Really anywhere people can sell anything second hand..You can find some here in the marketplace, ebay, or anywhere else that people can sell things really..I don't know how well received selling replicas is in the EGL comm sales, but you can try there..It's the Lolita Community Livejournal thing. You can google EGL Comm Sales to to find it. This means they may not allow replicas to be sold, so I have no clue..

Other than that, idk..
-Chandelure (Pokemon)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)
-Spirit (Soul Eater)

Last edited by Jei-Cos : 02-20-2015 at 03:44 PM.