Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 03-15-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
kittenPOP

Lolita Opinions

So, making my own lolita dress for the first time. It should be fun. This is mainly an opinions thread and all are welcome. This lolita dress is going to be themed to a specific character. I've seen these done before, but have read a lot of negative feedback to such "cosplays".

Opinion time: How do you feel about handmade lolita dresses? How do you feel about cosplay based lolita or character themed lolita outfits?

The feedback isn't really going to affect my decision to make this outfit (it's hopefully going to be done for Anime Midwest this year), but I still am curious to know how the community here feels about such things.
kittenPOP is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-15-2014, 10:11 PM   #2
JasonTerror
Now known as Sailor Jeimi

I think this is a neat discussion as I have to make my own as well as I was making one geared toward a character.

As far as making one, I have no choice. I don't fit brand. The only dresses I can fit are Fanplusfriend because they have a custom sizing option. Other than that, nope..Gotta make them..So I think as long as you know what you're doing, it's a god thing. You can even have a custom print that's one of a kind because YOU designed it. Like mine, I have a Lollipop and gummi bear design that my friend created for me and had custom printed on fabric. No one else will have it, and I got people that liked it a lot and were jelly because they couldn't get it. It was so nice that people were asking what the print name was..lol

On the character one, I'm not a fan of calling it Lolita. I call it "loli-girl" which is what you basically call the frilly wearing girls in anime..lol

However, how are you thinking though? Do you mean a character in a Lolita inspired outfit? Or a theme revolving around the character? Like take my idea. I'm eventually going to do Kingdom Hearts themes outfits, but they aren't centered on the character wearing a dress, it'll be colors and prints and accessories that revolve arounf it as a central theme. Like say I made a Sora one, it's be like Keyblade prints, Maybe a chest bow with the Crown on it that resembles the necklace, something like that..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Sakuracon 2014:
-Stocking Anarchy (Panty & Stocking. Normal Ver.)
-Marluxia (Kingdom Hearts Chain Of Memories)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2014, 02:54 AM   #3
MaiCosplay
Cospyro Li

I'm making a lolita version too. It will be my first time doing so. So really excited. You should seek the lolita thread for discussion.
Unread 03-17-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
konekoanni

Handmade Lolita is perfectly acceptable, as long as you do a quality job.

The thing about themed or character Lolita is getting the aesthetic right while still keeping with the theme you want. First, you need to consider whether or not the character fits the Lolita aesthetic at all. If they wear bright orange, then there's probably no good way to make it work. But if they already wear black or pastels, then it's not too difficult.

Second, is this supposed to be a Lolita outfit based on the character, or the character wearing Lolita? I personally think that the first can be done successfully, but it takes a lot of planning and work. Choosing things like colors and accessories is what will make it look good--for example, there's a great Sailor Moon themed Lolita coordinate that floats around Tumblr a lot that I think is perfect. She wears a navy sailor dress (I think it's Meta) with a red bow and transformation brooch. The dress is still authentically Lolita, but the accessories and color scheme is what makes it for the character.

The character wearing Lolita is a little different, and I personally think only appropriate for conventions. Think about what style the character would wear, and then make a dress that is correct for that style. Then you would basically just wear the dress with the character wig/makeup.

As long as you do your research well and make sure that the silhouette and quality are in keeping with the style, you should be fine.

Kiryuin Satsuki [Kill la Kill] 40% - AX 2014
Super Sailor Uranus [Sailor Moon SuperS] 60% - Anime Conji 2014
Nuriko [Fushigi Yuugi] 15% - AX 2014

The Fashionable Cupcake
konekoanni is offline   Reply With Quote