Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 110 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #376
Suiseiseki0284
Michu

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticfreefall View Post
It's the right style, but, the problem being is that it's just covered in low quality lace. It could be salvageable if you replaced the lace.
Considering I can't do that. I'll have to throw it out.

Woot.. $100 down the drain. Ah well.. XD; wasted more money than that on worse junk.

Huu..for being cheap quality, the stuff is unbelievable soft. Not saying that soft equals quality. Just that I can rub my cheeks on it all day.

I'll toss the blouse and keep the lace.

Unread 09-29-2009, 05:27 PM   #377
Lolita Minako
Cosmic Gemini Cosplayer

Ask around and see if someone can mod it for you or something before you go ridding yourself of it. I think it's pretty as is, but I am no lace-expert.

If you HAVE to get rid of it, sell it on eBay or something. ^^ Get a few bucks back for it, as you already paid $100 for it.
ACP|Cure #155513|CosplayLab|World Cosplay|Twitter|Tumblr

"Comments on style should not be made by those who have none." ~Emma Carew, Jekyll & Hyde: The Musical
Lolita Minako is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 05:47 PM   #378
celticfreefall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiseiseki0284 View Post
Considering I can't do that. I'll have to throw it out.

Woot.. $100 down the drain. Ah well.. XD; wasted more money than that on worse junk.

Huu..for being cheap quality, the stuff is unbelievable soft. Not saying that soft equals quality. Just that I can rub my cheeks on it all day.

I'll toss the blouse and keep the lace.
Softness is just a basic quality test. There also is a general look and pattern that is ... "undesirable" in lace for lolita clothing. It might not bee bad quality in terms of make per se, but for lolita clothing it's just not the right kind. If you can't replace it, you can't. It's not unwearable as much as it is cosplay quality rather than lolita quality. If you took the sleeves off (they look detachable), took a seam ripper to the extra large lace on the collar, and wore it under a jsk, it wouldn't be that noticeable. If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy it from?
celticfreefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 06:19 PM   #379
Suiseiseki0284
Michu

Quote:
Softness is just a basic quality test. There also is a general look and pattern that is ... "undesirable" in lace for lolita clothing. It might not bee bad quality in terms of make per se, but for lolita clothing it's just not the right kind. If you can't replace it, you can't. It's not unwearable as much as it is cosplay quality rather than lolita quality. If you took the sleeves off (they look detachable), took a seam ripper to the extra large lace on the collar, and wore it under a jsk, it wouldn't be that noticeable. If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy it from?
*LOL* I know softness is just a basic test. Which is why I said.. "Not saying that soft equals quality". I wasn't saying "But it feels nice! It must be good quality!"

I can't fix it, because I can't sew.

And honestly, I can't remember where I bought it. ^_^; Then again, I have the working memory of a gold fish with alzheimers.

Yaargh.. @_@; Having such a hard time finding a place that sells lolita clothing. Sure, there are lots of stores.. but they all seem to cater to smaller waistlines, and I'm having issues with picking a store that does custom measurements AND isn't bad quality.

Mh..
Unread 09-29-2009, 06:56 PM   #380
celticfreefall

Quote:
*LOL* I know softness is just a basic test. Which is why I said.. "Not saying that soft equals quality". I wasn't saying "But it feels nice! It must be good quality!"

I can't fix it, because I can't sew.

And honestly, I can't remember where I bought it. ^_^; Then again, I have the working memory of a gold fish with alzheimers.

Yaargh.. @_@; Having such a hard time finding a place that sells lolita clothing. Sure, there are lots of stores.. but they all seem to cater to smaller waistlines, and I'm having issues with picking a store that does custom measurements AND isn't bad quality.

Mh..
Next time, if I might politely suggest, try asking here before spending large amounts of money on an item you're not sure about. $100 is about the price of a brand blouse, which is a pretty steep loss. If you can at all remember at a later date where you purchased, it would be great to get back with us so that we can use your item as an example to other new users of that store. Try looking at Anna House(HK $), they do custom sizing, as does F+F, Candy Violet, Miwitch and numerous other well known and trusted sellers that do custom sizing for much cheaper prices.
Unread 09-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #381
Suiseiseki0284
Michu

Quote:
Next time, if I might politely suggest, try asking here before spending large amounts of money on an item you're not sure about. $100 is about the price of a brand blouse, which is a pretty steep loss. If you can at all remember at a later date where you purchased, it would be great to get back with us so that we can use your item as an example to other new users of that store. Try looking at Anna House(HK $), they do custom sizing, as does F+F, Candy Violet, Miwitch and numerous other well known and trusted sellers that do custom sizing for much cheaper prices.
Hm.. I think the store was.. Star-something. At anyrate, I'm not that upset over the loss of money. Because it really wasn't a loss to me. ( Not to say that I have tons of money, and spend it friviously.. more like, I RARELY buy anything for myself even when I have the funds. ..hm that probably doesn't make sense..)
At anyrate, no use crying over something I bought at the beginning of the year yes?
I really like the clothing at Anna House, but when I looked on their page, I couldn't find anything about custom sizing. Fan Plus Friend was another one I was looking at.. but I've heard some people say it was cheap.
Unread 09-29-2009, 10:30 PM   #382
celticfreefall

Quote:
Hm.. I think the store was.. Star-something. At anyrate, I'm not that upset over the loss of money. Because it really wasn't a loss to me. ( Not to say that I have tons of money, and spend it friviously.. more like, I RARELY buy anything for myself even when I have the funds. ..hm that probably doesn't make sense..)
At anyrate, no use crying over something I bought at the beginning of the year yes?
I really like the clothing at Anna House, but when I looked on their page, I couldn't find anything about custom sizing. Fan Plus Friend was another one I was looking at.. but I've heard some people say it was cheap.
"Bespoke" means custom sizing, it's just a fancy word for offering custom tailoring. If you notice on the Anna House catalogue, it's listed after most items on their page in the item information after Stock Status (stock status: in stock / bespoke). If you e-mail them they'll custom make pretty much anything and everything they stock with your provided measurements, including custom colors. Pretty much everything that isn't brand is going to be comparably lower in quality with very few exceptions. F+F has been known to use less nicer materials than other off brand suppliers, though, yes. But they also show what materials they're using on every outfit so that you can pick and choose knowing what you're going to get. As with anywhere, you need to use judgment while shopping. Brands churn out complete crap too.
Unread 09-29-2009, 11:16 PM   #383
Suiseiseki0284
Michu

Quote:
"Bespoke" means custom sizing, it's just a fancy word for offering custom tailoring. If you notice on the Anna House catalogue, it's listed after most items on their page in the item information after Stock Status (stock status: in stock / bespoke). If you e-mail them they'll custom make pretty much anything and everything they stock with your provided measurements, including custom colors. Pretty much everything that isn't brand is going to be comparably lower in quality with very few exceptions. F+F has been known to use less nicer materials than other off brand suppliers, though, yes. But they also show what materials they're using on every outfit so that you can pick and choose knowing what you're going to get. As with anywhere, you need to use judgment while shopping. Brands churn out complete crap too.
Bespoke means that..? I had no idea..
I feel pretty embarrased now.
Unread 10-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #384
NeaNea

Could I use this skirt from Hot topic to start my lolita wardrobe? http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Apparel/Bottoms/Skirts/Tripp-Black-Ruffle-Skull-Tutu-Skirt-207339.jsp
I know it is not the best, but is it at least a start? Also where is a good place to by a shirt when you're on a tight budget? Also are the punk boots acceptable?

Also do you think Amy in soul calibur 4 has a lolita look? I want to cosplay her some day, or kraehe.
NeaNea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 04:50 PM   #385
Lolita Minako
Cosmic Gemini Cosplayer

That skirt is a bit too short for lolita. The socks are awesome, though!!
ACP|Cure #155513|CosplayLab|World Cosplay|Twitter|Tumblr

"Comments on style should not be made by those who have none." ~Emma Carew, Jekyll & Hyde: The Musical
Lolita Minako is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #386
yaoikk
=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeaNea View Post
Also do you think Amy in soul calibur 4 has a lolita look? I want to cosplay her some day, or kraehe.
Amy's outfit is too revealing to be lolita...someone else might be able to clarify whether or not she'd be erololi (I don't know nearly enough about erololi to say if she were, especially with people's differing opinions on how it looks), but either way it'd be a cosplay instead of a lolita outfit...

And yay I wanna cosplay her too sometime! ^^
yaoikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #387
Kirotighta
Lolita Apologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaoikk View Post
Amy's outfit is too revealing to be lolita...someone else might be able to clarify whether or not she'd be erololi (I don't know nearly enough about erololi to say if she were, especially with people's differing opinions on how it looks), but either way it'd be a cosplay instead of a lolita outfit...

And yay I wanna cosplay her too sometime! ^^
No, not even ero-loli gets that short.
Unread 10-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #388
Meiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeaNea View Post
Could I use this skirt from Hot topic to start my lolita wardrobe? http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Apparel/Bottoms/Skirts/Tripp-Black-Ruffle-Skull-Tutu-Skirt-207339.jsp
I know it is not the best, but is it at least a start? Also where is a good place to by a shirt when you're on a tight budget? Also are the punk boots acceptable?

For some reason your link led me to this: http://www.wondercostumes.com/images...W120654350.jpg instead of this: http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/App...irt-207339.jsp which is odd. Yeah, way too short, looks too much like a petticoat, weird suspender things, definitely not good.

A lot of main stream stores that sell loli-able blouses these days. I wrote up a guide on buying them a while back actually: http://makelovely.wordpress.com/2009/07/05/offbrand1/

Punk boots are acceptable for punk lolita, but I certainly wouldn't start out with that.

Amy is definitely lolita-inspired, but I wouldn't say she's really lolita at all, even ero. Her outfit is just too small.
Unread 10-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #389
miki_sweety

Need Help on my Outfit

Hello, guys...

I recently decided to try this. I have been in love with the sweet lolita style for awhile, and I thought I'd ease me (and my parents) into it by dressing up fully in the style on Halloween, and then making it more and more common and amassing more and more clothes... I hope you guys don't mind this approach? (I know it's suppose to be a lifestyle, but... not yet for me).

Anyway, the outfit I've got so far is thus:

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6...litaoutfit.jpg

The ribbon goes on the neck, by the way. Will the dress work as a babydoll base? Anything tacky, wannabe, anything that doesn't go? The necklace may be too deep a red. How about the shoes? Would the shoes below work better?

http://www.payless.com/images/490x49..._4_490x490.jpg (it's silver...)
http://www.payless.com/images/490x49..._4_490x490.jpg {it's white like the socks, so...)

I might really have to end up buying black maryjanes and spraypainting it red, actually... Also, how do you feel about lace umbrellas with hearts? It doesn't fold on itself and the handle is rather old-fashionly white. But still, lace.

And the dress... It's only a base, but I'll show you the alterations I might do...

It'll all be home done (my friend's good with sewing), even the petticoat.

http://img29.imageshack.us/i/alterations.jpg/

I'm trying to keep the budget for the alterations in the 20s-25 dollars range. As it goes, I'll need a yd of red stretchy cotton, 4 yds of tulle, pack of buttons, lots and lots of lace (do any of you know how much?) Will it be possible with this budget? Does anyone know how much tulle and cotton cost, normally? If it isn't... what should definitely be done, and others omitted? Are these alterations even possible with my dress?

By the way, does anyone have a good tutorial for making a petticoat? What shape should my petticoat be in? Is it faux pas to have the petticoat showing (I think it'd be really cute with the style I'm going for, but...)

Sorry for be longwinded. Thank you!
miki_sweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #390
Aryante
Dark Wings

So, I picked this cute shirt up yesterday at a thrift store.
And i wanna know if it could be considered loli.

But as of this moment my camera has gone missing (Probably with my sib at her college)

So i will describe it to the best of my abilities:
It's a white long sleeved blouse (soon to be short sleeve) with black lace starting just under the bust extending to either side but only on the front. It buttons up and has black lace trim all the way along the hem.

Thanks in advance