Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 125 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-01-2013, 02:28 AM   #1126
WantAGuava
Derp of a Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
Not sure if this has been asked but there's WAY too much to look through..
I have a question about the "Sweet" style. I understand the whole cutesy thing but I haven't seen a "rule" (I guess you can call it that) that says there needs to be prints on the dresses for the Sweet style. Like I've looked on tumblr and google and here (coscom) and DA, and basically EVERYONE has some cute print. If it's less accepted (as in it won't look AS good or as much "Sweet Lolita" as something else) then I can find a patterned fabric..Also, while I'm here I might as well just ask: what fabric should the dress be made out of? By the way, it will be an OP, if that matters for fabric.....

Thank you

EDIT: OH!! Also, is it acceptable to mix a few things in the Sweet style? Like mixing Sweets (cakes and such), Candi (I guess still sweets but w.e.) and hearts? but not overdoing it of course. Like say some Sweets rings, but also a heart ring? Then A heart purse, and I also bought this cute cake necklace. Or should one keep to just one of them?

Hi Sweety okay first of all let me jump you off of some malocclusion your having there. Having a print does not necessarily categorize the dress as 'sweet', a sweet lolita dress doesn't have to have a print either.

The dress can be a simple cute light blur or sorta and would still be a sweet lolita ensemble, why yes the what's on the fabric matters what also important is the skirt shape. Most sweet lolitas often wear 'cupcake' petticoats under the dresses to further categorize their outfit as said sweet style. I apologize if I sound if I'm pestering you but I'm assuming you don't know since you said you only seen pictures. So a simple cute light plain girly shade is perfectly acceptable, this would be categorized as a 'old school' sweet style (old school referring back to when prints weren't as much in style and the dresses were very much less flamboyant as today's) .

And on the topic of fabric keep in mind quality, quality, quality always go for 100% cotton if you can and stay away from sheers if you don't know what you're doing, this goes the same for lace.

And it is perfectly fine to add your own cute decorations! Going overboard is fine with it to! (It would be categorized as OTT! Sweet Lolita, a style very popular these days if you did) the sweet lolitas seem to be adoring the over use of cupcakes and sugary hearts these days, I mean have you seen the arising trend of the My little pony orbit bonnets?

Good luck in your venturing love.
WantAGuava is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-01-2013, 02:30 AM   #1127
WantAGuava
Derp of a Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko-loverx3 View Post
Hi! I just went to a store and got my first lolitaish type shirt but i want to make sure i wont have people telling me its not lolita if i wear it.. I am doing a gothic lolita themed outfit and im going with a black skirt. I was just wanting to make sure it was okay to wear https://mail-attachment.googleuserco...9ml8g&sadssc=1 and https://mail-attachment.googleuserco...v-cRXu9dUTbLjM sorry its so wrinkly i could not find the iron in my grandparents house :/
Your links aren't working, repost with new ones please c:
Unread 01-01-2013, 02:34 AM   #1128
WantAGuava
Derp of a Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aciano View Post
So I decided lately to go for a kodona style but since I'm not too experienced in it, I'm not even sure if it looks great haha. Doesn't help that I'm stuck between red and blue. Also stuck on wigs to get. Eeer. Any help of what to add in or take out, as well as which wig? Thinking of making a top hat for either outfit, whichever I end up choosing. I ended up trying for a sort of White Rabbit theme, thus the pocket watch and idea of a top hat. :X But yeah. Colors are problem haha. OTL

Blue
or
Red

Didn't think it would have been great to start up a new thread just for this XD;;
That's a very beautiful piece you picked <3

And judging by your photos (sorry did a stalker marathons of browsing your pictures) I think you look lovely in blue.
Unread 01-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #1129
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

I sure am glad I found the Lolita thread. I grew up dressing like that pretty much and as of Christmas I got this pink Lolita, my very first one. I don't know if I pull it off that well being a MtF transgender and all but I think its ok. I am going to update it maybe today as I got the rest of the pieces the outfit needed as well as a new Gothic Lolita outfit. I love Gothic too

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:
Traditonal, Mixmatched ,Steamdress, Royal Suite, Silk Maiden

Traditional Disney Alice, Soviet Alice

Lolita:
Sweet Pink, Gothic, Gothic Aristocrat Ballgown, Blue "Alice" Ballgown

Anime:
White Album 2 Ogiso Setsuna school uniform
Alice MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 01:03 AM   #1130
redsheep

I haven't looked into lolita in a long time, and I know styles have changed, but I'm fairly certain the "put somethin' on yer head" rule still applies. Tiny hats and ruffly bows are great and all, but they're just not exactly my style.

What I do have, are cocktail hats (like so).

Would there be a way to style them more lolita and less 40's cocktail party? I tend to like more Classic and modest styles with not too much frills.
redsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #1131
TeaForThought
Fragile: Handle with Care

@Redsheep

I'd assume as long as they go with your coordinate...it shouldn't be a problem. From what all I've seen...just about any sort of head wear is acceptable as long as it makes sense with what you're wearing
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

~Tea is wisdom, just add water~
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #1132
redsheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaForThought View Post
@Redsheep

I'd assume as long as they go with your coordinate...it shouldn't be a problem. From what all I've seen...just about any sort of head wear is acceptable as long as it makes sense with what you're wearing
Thanks.
Unread 03-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #1133
TeaForThought
Fragile: Handle with Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsheep View Post
Thanks.
No problem....personally I think it's a great idea...because let's face it...not everyone looks awesome in head eating bows
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

~Tea is wisdom, just add water~
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:31 AM   #1134
xiaohimecece
The Little Princess

Fursuit in a lolita outfit...still lolita?

Technically it's Wish Me Mell in Toy Paradise.
xiaohimecece is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #1135
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

I normally see bows in Lolita's hair...are flowers okay? Please tell me if this hair style is Lolita-ish.

Thank you!!

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3413942/
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:45 AM   #1136
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Wondering something..so I got into the fashion a little while ago, but didn't really see anything on this (not that I could find anyway)..
So, I know there's are extremely common (as in like my theme for the one I have is colored candy) but what about themes that have to do with a game? My favorite games ever are the Kingdom Hearts games, and I wanted to make a theme around that. And no, I don't mean making a character wearing Lolita style in their colors..I mean making it look nothing like a character, but maybe having a print that's kh related..I have got my ideas fully thought up yet, but I was wondering if those kind of things are still considered Lolita? Thank you for any answers.

Edit:
Oh yea, also I forgot to ask, since crowns are a huge kh thing, and in the extras in one of the import games, Sora, the main character, gets a neat crown, I was wondering if, while doing this theme, It's ok to wear that rather then a bow or anything? Or would that be frowned upon?
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)

Last edited by JasonTerror : 07-31-2013 at 03:20 AM.
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #1137
kuko-chan
Waterbender Extraodinaire

This is more of a question about accessories and jewelry. I make a lot of my own and I started selling them on Etsy, but I want to make sure I'm tagging them correctly (there's nothing worse than sifting through lolita search results and finding a majority of them are NOT lolita).

Here's just a few examples of my work. As a lolita, would you wear them with any of your outfits?

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1622...op_home_active

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1569...h_query=lolita

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/2814...h_query=lolita
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #1138
redsheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuko-chan View Post
This is more of a question about accessories and jewelry. I make a lot of my own and I started selling them on Etsy, but I want to make sure I'm tagging them correctly (there's nothing worse than sifting through lolita search results and finding a majority of them are NOT lolita).

Here's just a few examples of my work. As a lolita, would you wear them with any of your outfits?

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1622...op_home_active

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1569...h_query=lolita

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/2814...h_query=lolita
Yep, all three could work with a classic/old-school sweet coord. The eyelet lace on the cuff is a little clunky, but it could still work.
Unread 09-11-2013, 12:27 AM   #1139
Seamarie
Jill of All Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
Wondering something..so I got into the fashion a little while ago, but didn't really see anything on this (not that I could find anyway)..
So, I know there's are extremely common (as in like my theme for the one I have is colored candy) but what about themes that have to do with a game? My favorite games ever are the Kingdom Hearts games, and I wanted to make a theme around that. And no, I don't mean making a character wearing Lolita style in their colors..I mean making it look nothing like a character, but maybe having a print that's kh related..I have got my ideas fully thought up yet, but I was wondering if those kind of things are still considered Lolita? Thank you for any answers.

Edit:
Oh yea, also I forgot to ask, since crowns are a huge kh thing, and in the extras in one of the import games, Sora, the main character, gets a neat crown, I was wondering if, while doing this theme, It's ok to wear that rather then a bow or anything? Or would that be frowned upon?
Crowns are perfectly loli accessories! Especially mini ones.

Game prints are great. What makes a dress or outfit fit into Lolita fashion is the style. Big skirt and details like bows, ruffles or lace (or all of the aforementioned).
Sailor Moon (anime version) - 5% made front bow
Athena Cykes (Phoenix Wright) - 2% starting glove

Future cosplay wish list:
Totoro (My Neighbour Totoro) claws (shoe covers), Dance Central, Yuzuki (Chobits), Kitty-N (Bust A Groove/Move), Chocobo (Final Fantasy series), Ewok (Star Wars), Rainbow Brite, Neytiri (James Cameron's Avatar), Xena, Card Captor Sakura
Seamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #1140
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamarie View Post
Crowns are perfectly loli accessories! Especially mini ones.

Game prints are great. What makes a dress or outfit fit into Lolita fashion is the style. Big skirt and details like bows, ruffles or lace (or all of the aforementioned).
Thank you for the answer here. I hope to have one made in the next year. I started a thread on the Kingdom hearts forum here so I got some ideas from it. I was thinking of making the same crown he wears when I do a "light" (protagonist side) coord, but maybe a little smaller then his. Then gluing it to a headband.

Oh, one more thing. Since it's a protagonist side coord, would carrying around a prop (like a keyblade since it's the most iconic KH thing ever) be a bad idea? Since it's based on the protagonist side, the keyblade is the most essential thing to have to show you're doing something KH related.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote