Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Left 4 Dead

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 161 votes, 4.97 average.
Unread 11-18-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
Bwentali

Left 4 Dead Cosplay

before I begin, a disclaimer. I know for a fact that making a cosplay for left 4 dead should be in every instance easy. However I decided to make this post to help out with some of the detail work of the costumes.

One of the cosplays I have in mind is francis from left 4 dead.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...ancis-1680.jpg

as you can see, he is your standard biker guy with a simple outfit to emulate. However one of the hardest details to recreate are his full arm tattoos. This has been something I have been milling over for a while now and I only have a few solutions for it.

Henna/body paint: Would have to have someone do the artwork, which would be expensive and only last for a con before wearing out.

stockings and paint: would need to sew, would not look realistic, stigma against wearing a stocking designed for a womans legs for arm tattoos.

costume tattoo sleeve:
http://www.costumecraze.com/image.ph...9561-large.jpg

can't find one blank, would not be the correct design, (yes I know its similar to the stocking deal but they are custom designed for arm useage) current sleeves don't go up to the shoulder.

so I ask the brilliant people of the cosplay forums, what would you do?
Bwentali is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-19-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
Tenel Ka
would you kindly...?

Yay Left 4 Dead cosplay! Where are you planning on wearing the costume?

(I was debating on a Zoey costume, but this would be so much more fun with a group!)

I guess it depends on how accurate you want the tattoos to be. I think you could get away with the right kind of already-done tattoo sleeve if you don't need it to be perfectly accurate. I would hope no one would give you crap for not having the tattoos exactly the same as his in the game.

If you wanted it completely accurate then body paint would probably be the way to go -- but like you said, it would only last for the day and you'd have to sit and get someone to do it. D:

Dragon*Con '12: Tenel Ka (Young Jedi Knights) || Kinzie Kensington (Saints Row: The Third) || Jaryn - The Glitterati (Dance Central 2) Barbie (Toy Story 3) || Princess Bubblegum (Adventure Time)
Tenel Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2008, 08:49 PM   #3
Bwentali

unfortunatly I am still in the minor leagues of the convention scene. I have done one cosplay of Heavy Weapons Guy from Team Fortress 2, at a event called connecticon. I am considering going to anime boston as francis, then at connecticon I will go as the protagonist from fallout 3.

as for the tattoos, I am still scratchin my head on it. I sent the creator of the tattoo sleves an email on gettin a blank shirt to help out, no answer as of yet. lookin for flesh-colored mesh shirts. going to start lookin for flesh-toned body suits soon. clothing will be easier than custom work, cause I can custom tailor it.
Unread 12-04-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
ArcaneKani

Yeah, I definitely plan on cosplaying Louis if I can get a group going (This is definitely the type of cosplay where you kinda' need a group).
Unread 12-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
Bwentali

@arcaneKani: Yea, to get the full effect you really need the group (and some zombies). It won't stop me from going though, I will just say I am gung-ho or the rest of the crew died or something.
Unread 12-04-2008, 11:05 AM   #6
ArcaneKani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwentali View Post
@arcaneKani: Yea, to get the full effect you really need the group (and some zombies). It won't stop me from going though, I will just say I am gung-ho or the rest of the crew died or something.
*lol* There ya' go. I'm sure Francis would stand out on his own anyway. I wish you the best of luck!
Unread 12-04-2008, 11:40 AM   #7
Toluca
Eee.... D:

I might be considering a Witch cosplay once I actually get the game and can see them more clearly. The demo is sort of hit or miss with whether she shows up or not. xD

Dodrio - Pokemon
Toon Link -The Wind Waker
Toluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
Missha
Super Turbo Nerdy.

Ohhh, yay! A left 4 dead thread!
I'll considering doing a Zoey cosplay myself =]
Missha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2008, 05:15 PM   #9
ChibiKimi
Shrine Maiden

Im going to be doing Left 4 Dead for RIT's Tora-Con in April with a group of people, and the guy who is doing Francis was going to just buy the costume sleeve.
I don't think you will be shunned forever if it's not accurate - i'd like to see anybody try to pull all those tattoos off.

btw - are you guys doing the old character designs
http://techreport.com/r.x/2008q2/l4d.jpg
or the new ones?
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...characters.jpg
ChibiKimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2008, 06:31 PM   #10
Tenel Ka
would you kindly...?

Yesssss, a witch costume would be awesome. A friend of mine and I were discussing doing L4D costumes at Dragon*Con next year. I was thinking of doing a Hunter costume or a Witch (wondering about the body paint and the fingers) if there's survivors. Of course, we'd need all the survivors first cause then the whole thing would be more recognizable. LOL~

Anyone going to Dragon*Con in 2009? XD

Dragon*Con '12: Tenel Ka (Young Jedi Knights) || Kinzie Kensington (Saints Row: The Third) || Jaryn - The Glitterati (Dance Central 2) Barbie (Toy Story 3) || Princess Bubblegum (Adventure Time)
Tenel Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2008, 11:32 PM   #11
NymphOfTwilight
Decoding My Thoughts.

Yay! I hoping to see this thread soon! I might be doing a Zoey or a Witch cosplay in the meer future. I just started this game along with Dead Space, and both are pretty much amazing!

"There must be a bond, between chosen and summoner, for that is what the Final Summoning embodies:the bond between husband and wife, mother and child, or between friends.If that bond is strong enough, its light will conquer Sin."-Yunalesca

ACEN 2010
Lightning from Final Fantasy XIII
Miku Hatsune from Vocaloid
Lucy/Nyuu from Elfen Lied
NymphOfTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #12
ArcaneKani

I suppose it boils down to how accurate you're wanting this costume to be. I'd opt for the tattoo sleeves so long as you can get them to cover your entire arm. But if you're a stickler for detail, henna might not be a bad option, though from the looks of his arms that might end up costing you a great deal of time/money to get it as accurate as possible.

On a side note, what would you guys say about canonical weapons? Louis is seen with the Uzi in the silhouetted photo of the 4 survivors, but I hate the Uzi and typically go for the assault rifle.
Unread 12-08-2008, 12:16 PM   #13
Bwentali

I thank you for all the good ideas, and I have narrowed it down to a couple options.

Personally I am thinking a flesh colored unitard...yea, thats the best I could come up with. it would stretch and cover all parts of the body. all I would have to do is stretch the fabric with some cardboard and pre-paint all the tattoos on the unitard. then all I would have to do is put on the uni then the clothes then presto! instant tatts

as for the guns, I am thinkin any gun from the game would be good. if you want to do an assault rifle then why not? the uzi is only good for the horde anywho, always need a guy to take care of long distance targets.

@chibikimi: I actually prefer the old models myself, they look more rugged and beaten down. However I think I will go based off the new models just for the integrety of the cosplay. That and I can't pull off the grunge look of the old francis.
Unread 12-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #14
rassool bros.

Just FYI:

most pics online are shots of the beta versions of the characters. the game play stuff is way different. there's obviously a difference in everyones hair and face but their are subtle differences to the costumes as well. anyway if any of you are in the LA area, PM me cus i'd love to do a photoshoot of the L4D heroes with a few zombies and a witch or a hunter
Unread 12-10-2008, 12:24 AM   #15
Zombie Jill

Coming from the 'Land of Valve', a friend and I had half a mind to crash their building dressed up in special infected costumes this Halloween but didn't feel like driving down. XD so I just wandered around school in a psuedo-hunter costume, and actually got recognized once. :'D It pays to hang around the game design class rooms.

At any rate, I'd love to see some groups of L4D! Get the survivors, some zombies, and some guns, and it'd make for a really great shoot. If I can get more people from 'round here, I'd totally love to do one, too. :'D It just wouldn't be as fun to not have all three... XD Unless you wandered around saying one died. *laughs* But then that's just mean.

Last edited by Zombie Jill : 12-10-2008 at 12:28 AM.
Zombie Jill is offline   Reply With Quote