Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-19-2008, 09:40 PM   #1
NarukuSon
Current Power Level: 234

Real Weighted Clothing

I'm looking for some advice/help in making real weighted clothing... Examples of this would be weighted wristbands, shirt/vest, and boots.

I know how to do it, I just need to know what to use as far as weighted objects go.

You see I have these little 'iron-ish' balls that are used in sacks and placed in shoes in shoe stores to keep them from moving. I have a bunch of these bags and will place them in my goku boots after I sew cloth around them to keep the balls from coming out, then sew it into the sides of the boots all around.

But how about something better that would not only increase weight but be less mass (iron is a good example) but something I could meld or anything, any suggestions would be amazing.

Like I said, the boots are easy part... I plan on doing it also with my wristbands and placing the weighted beads/balls into the slits and sewing over them, but how about the shirt? I will plan on making a replicated clothe piece that goes over the weight from the inside, but what should I use that would not be too dangerous, or sharp?

Any suggestions?

AFO:
Ryu (Street Fighter) - 99% Complete

MBS Team Members (On Cosplay.Com)
ThePirateBunny, AkatsukiKonan, CosplayerGabi, PluieEnfant, Rikku_Monkie, Sunako_Chan, Emily_Adams

- myspace.com/martialartstournament -
NarukuSon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-19-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
PhoenixStarr44
holding all the cards

You might consider using magnets since they would be easy to get hold of ...?

Hmm. I know friends of mine have used things to weigh down their costumes. I'll ask them what they employed. Personally, I'd probably look into getting hold of ball bearings (they go inside wheels to make them spin more easily, so you can find them at shops that sell supplies for, say, roller blades). They're iron/metal and would provide good weight for you.

UPCOMING CONS:
NYCC 2012, AUSA 2012
UPCOMING COSTUMES:
The Signless Sufferer (homestuck), Sn0wman (homestuck)
PhoenixStarr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 10:34 PM   #3
NarukuSon

Cool, thanks alot.

:-)

Is it weird that I don't 'do' cosplay for cosplaying, I do it because it feels naturally apart of my dna? Like ... I believe I am Goku, and act/think/eat like him ever since I was a little boy... My father called me 'Sun Wukong' when I was a boy, and that was before I even watched DragonBall... Sun Wukong is the Chinese version of Son Goku based on Journey to the West. Also known as the 'Monkey King'

AFO:

ThePirateBunny, AkatsukiKonan, CosplayerGabi, PluieEnfant, Rikku_Monkie, Sunako_Chan, Emily_Adams

Unread 11-19-2008, 10:54 PM   #4
PhoenixStarr44
holding all the cards

I think that it's fairly natural to do cosplay to express part of yourself. =D

If you want to really use your costume to help build yourself up, though, you might need to look into something more heavy and less likely to shift, like finding something metal and square at your local hardware store to sew into your armbands/shirt/legbands, etc.

Good luck to you!

UPCOMING CONS:
NYCC 2012, AUSA 2012
UPCOMING COSTUMES:
Unread 11-20-2008, 12:09 AM   #5
NarukuSon

Yeah, exactly like that... But I'm not sure where to look. I may type very well, but in actuality my english is horrible... It's my 4th language and when explaining what I want comes to the in person, I am very bad at it... They will all just look at me funny, or try and understand but not find what I'm looking for. That's why I'm asking here.

AFO:

Unread 11-20-2008, 06:42 AM   #6
PhoenixStarr44
holding all the cards

Honestly, I'd just browse a local Home Depot or Lowe's or other hardware store. You're sure to find tons of rectangular things made out of metal.

You also might try something like these.

UPCOMING CONS:
NYCC 2012, AUSA 2012
UPCOMING COSTUMES:
Unread 11-20-2008, 08:34 AM   #7
NarukuSon

Hm, thanks again. I think those circular things might prove to be too big or funny shaped to make it into the shirt. It'd be good for the wrist bands though.

So you're going to Katsucon? Me too, but I've never been to a Convention before and was wondering how I find people to room with... Could you help me out >.<?

AFO:

Unread 11-20-2008, 08:48 AM   #8
rofltrain
(´∀` )

How about sand? You could sew seal-able pockets into back of the shirt I suppose, or maybe a vest with pockets all over that you could wear under the shirt and fill said pockets. At least that way you are more flexible with the amount of weight you want. I imagine that a vest like that could weigh quite a bit! Just be sure to make some good pockets so they don't break/leak :O

As for the rooming at Katsu, there are always some people looking for a additional roomie. I would suggest taking a look down in the Katsucon threads and seeing if there's someone looking. There are still people willing to trust people they meet on the internet believe it or not!
Unread 11-20-2008, 09:14 AM   #9
NarukuSon

Yeah, I trust people on-line especially if they 1. want to meet right away or 2. get to know me truly.

inbetween those 2 things are people who are full of crap lol.

And as for the sand... It'll slip out and tear no matter what, I need to be able to run, walk, work, and do nearly everything with this. Not a bad idea though, I might still be able to use sand, but unfortunately if it slips out, the shirt'll be ruined, and I'll be very dirty. lol... Plus I think it takes up more mass then I need.

My goal is 15lb boots (each)
5lb wrist bands (each)
and a 50lb weighted shirt

AFO:

Unread 11-20-2008, 10:28 AM   #10
LizardMandy

It's expensive to buy and time-consuming to make, but have you considered sandwiching a layer of chain mail into your shirt?

It'll stay evenly distributed so no bunching, it's chain so it's not going to leak or anything if a seam pops, and chain mail is quite heavy. Depending on the metal, I've seen chain mail shirts weigh anywhere from 12 pounds (aluminum links) to around 25-35 pounds (steel) -- if you get a tighter weave (6-in-1 instead of 4-in-1 for example) that will increase the weight. I think you could find a chain mail shirt that weighs up to 50 pounds easily.
LizardMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2008, 10:37 PM   #11
NarukuSon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardMandy View Post
It's expensive to buy and time-consuming to make, but have you considered sandwiching a layer of chain mail into your shirt?

It'll stay evenly distributed so no bunching, it's chain so it's not going to leak or anything if a seam pops, and chain mail is quite heavy. Depending on the metal, I've seen chain mail shirts weigh anywhere from 12 pounds (aluminum links) to around 25-35 pounds (steel) -- if you get a tighter weave (6-in-1 instead of 4-in-1 for example) that will increase the weight. I think you could find a chain mail shirt that weighs up to 50 pounds easily.
Great idea!

My friend started making chainmail... just for fun. Maybe he could help out a bit.

I'm not worried about time (need to finish though within 3 months), but the money might be another thing. Weight = Money lol...

AFO:

Unread 11-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #12
LizardMandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarukuSon View Post
Great idea!

My friend started making chainmail... just for fun. Maybe he could help out a bit.

I'm not worried about time (need to finish though within 3 months), but the money might be another thing. Weight = Money lol...
This is true.

If you're willing to compromise on weight, ThinkGeek has an affordable chain mail T-shirt that weighs about 12 pounds, aluminum links:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/generic/9080/

There's a liquidation sale on zinc-coated carbon steel-link chain mail shirts here, which weigh about 27 pounds:
http://www.realarmorofgod.com/store/...Shirt-115.html

Another option may be layering the chain mail shirts, if you can't find one that weighs enough. A layer of fabric, then chain mail, then fabric, then chain mail, then fabric again may work if you get 2 shirts at approximately 25 pounds each. It'll be a little bit bulky, but not TOO bad, since chainmail is fairly low-profile armor to begin with, not too much bulk on it.

Good luck!

EDIT: And this should go without saying, but do be careful wearing such heavy clothing please! I think we're all giving you the benefit of the doubt that you're strong enough to wear it, but the 'overbearing mother' in me won't be satisfied unless I come out and say it, heh. Even the strongest person I know will tire out quickly from suddenly having an extra 90 pounds to carry around. Be sure to take extra breaks, and 'work up' to wearing this much weight by wearing it around for small increments of time. Don't over-exert yourself, take breaks, and stretch before and after so you don't end up sore. (Tiger balm is your friend)

I assume you already knew this, but again, just wanted to make absolutely sure, certainly don't want you hurting yourself.

Last edited by LizardMandy : 11-21-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Unread 11-21-2008, 11:13 PM   #13
NarukuSon

Hehe thank you so much!

Mother in you?? How old are you anyways?

And yes you are completely right about the tiring out. But a why I wear weights now as is... Fleximetal is great but is way too bulky... I wear 5lbs on my ankles, 2lbs on my wrists, and a vest for work which is 45... I can go about 5 hours straight twice a day with a 30minute break inbetween... So stepping it up wont be too much of a problem for me

Thank you for the concern, and the tiger balm suggestion...

Quick question - Will it make a lot of sound when I move? Because I don't want that either due to the face I will wear this at work, home, and conventions...

AFO:

Unread 11-21-2008, 11:29 PM   #14
LizardMandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarukuSon View Post
Mother in you?? How old are you anyways?
Older than 10, younger than 85.

Quote:
Quick question - Will it make a lot of sound when I move? Because I don't want that either due to the face I will wear this at work, home, and conventions...
Chainmail on it's own does jingle quite a bit, yes. The cloth around it may muffle the sound, you could possibly put a layer of batting in there to help muffle it further, but I'm afraid it's probably going to jingle a bit as you move.
Unread 11-21-2008, 11:56 PM   #15
NarukuSon

hm... then I might need to find something else... unless of course I can make tighter chainmail? What is 'batting'?

AFO: