Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > MegaCon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-20-2008, 12:52 AM   #1
EXsoldierSNAKE

How is MegaCon's Weapon policy?

How strict are they really? I have an airsoft gun prop with an orange tip, but do I need to glue it up so nothing can move on it? I really like this gun and I don't want to ruin it with glue. Do they have a crew that checks over and inspects everyone's weapons props before they come into the con? Also is it possible to leave from your hotel room and go to the convention hall with a weapon prop in hand? the rules on the site are kind of murky.

thanks

Unread 11-20-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
Cemulida1

From what i understood on their policy is you have to keep your prop weapon more or less concealed until you get to the both for prop weapon checks. which this seems kinda pointless as half the prop weapons are huge and people are gonna notice anyways. mostly as i believe it is for anything that might seem as a real threat to anyone not familiar with cosplaying. a lot of people will prolly just walk straight to the con with their weapons about them as they do. i never knew they did checks before i just use to see people working for the con to ask people to have their weapons peacebound or to ask them to go put their props away.

anyways you dressing as snake or any resident evil characters walking from your hotel with like a fake AK out is not the best of ideas even with a orange tip. So i would suggest keeping your guns in a duffel bag or holstered at the least.
Cemulida1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
Lunar Dragon
I wish I was stuff.

That is a good question to ask! I'm cosplaying Zero Suit Samus on Sunday... I wonder if I'm going to need to conceal my gun? I mean it looks pretty cartoon-y in the pictures I've seen. I have made it yet and I might be making it out of a toy squirt gun, or something from Toys R' Us. Heck I have no idea how to conceal that thing on me while wearing a body suit and I don't know if my purse will be big enough to hid it. This, is going to be a tough one.

... stupid question, but I wonder if this counts for the Force FX ($100+) lightsabers? ....probably not.

Florida Super Con 2009
Sat- not sure yet
Saturday night- shh, its a secret! ^_^
Sun- Crisis Core Aeris

Metro Con 2009
Friday- Crisis Core Aeris
Saturday- Sakura (Tsubasa chapter 100 sakura dress)
Sunday- Gijinka Umbreon

Team Awesome = Love and a assimilating cosplay blob!

Lunar Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2008, 06:19 PM   #4
Pantsu_chan
So dericious!

I had no problems with my Halconnen last year....although things that look more like real weapons might be an issue. I don't even remember them having a weapons check last year (?).

Bunny, one of us can always hide your gun in our costume for you on the walk over. ^_^
Oren Pierre Alfonso (Kamen Rider Gaim)
Marie Antoinette (2001 Takarazuka Rose of Versailles)

Team Awesome <333!!
Pantsu_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
Lunar Dragon
I wish I was stuff.

Sweet! Thank's Pantsu-chan.

Florida Super Con 2009
Sat- not sure yet
Saturday night- shh, its a secret! ^_^
Sun- Crisis Core Aeris

Metro Con 2009
Friday- Crisis Core Aeris
Saturday- Sakura (Tsubasa chapter 100 sakura dress)
Sunday- Gijinka Umbreon

Team Awesome = Love and a assimilating cosplay blob!

Lunar Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
EXsoldierSNAKE

The weapon in question is an electric airsoft M4 rifle. It has the orange tip, but its a pretty well made gun with some metal parts, making it kinda heavy, almost realistically heavy. Plus I don't want to glue it up because I paid quite a bit for it, and also because I'm using it in fan films I produce. I thought I could probably keep it in a large cheap bag and then once I'm in the convention hall I can just fold the bag up and put it in the buttpack I have. But if there is a weapons check in will they pick it up and play with it to see if it can still operate, or will they just look for the orange tip and wave me through?

Lunar Dragon- Thats awesome you're bringing Samus! We should get some Snake VS Samus pics taken lol. I'm bringing the Plisskin disguise he wears in MGS2. I dunno if thats in Smash Brothers Brawl or not.
Unread 11-21-2008, 11:13 PM   #7
PluieEnfant
Returning

There's always a weapons/prop check area at every convention (at least all the ones I've been to). I brought a small airsoft gun once that was black with an orange tip and they didn't glue it or anything. I don't think they're allowed to tamper with your things like that. They might put a sticker or plastic band (or easily removable tape) on it and if the prop isn't accepted, they'll simply ask for you to put it in your car or something. They need to mark it temporarily so that all of security will know that it's been checked in. Make sure it's empty (mine didn't have its magazine in and I'm not sure if you can have one in at all, you might have to check with them on it) and remember to keep it in its bag the minute you leave the convention area. The area is very touristy and so carrying a weapon in the open from hotel to convention may scare some people. Add to that the fact that Snake simply looks legit. It will cause problems.

2011 Conventions:+metrocon+ax+

Currently Working On:
Taki Reizen (Hyakujitsu no Bara)
Gauche Suede (Tegami Bachi)

Last edited by PluieEnfant : 11-21-2008 at 11:16 PM.
PluieEnfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2008, 10:07 AM   #8
Ukara07
The Violent Healer

Hey, this is a good thread. I was wondering about swords. I'm cosplaying a Bleach character and it might be a little difficult to hide a 42" zanpaktou. As long as it's not metal, I can bring it, right?

Cons Attended:

AnimeNEXT 2009- Palmon Gijinka (Digimon)
AnimeNEXT 2009- Lolita Sasori (Naruto)

MetroCon 2009- Lisa Yadomaru (Bleach)
Metrocon 2009- Lolita CC (Code Geass)

NYAF 2009- Hinata (Naruto)
NYAF 2009- Rukia (Bleach)
Ukara07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2008, 10:09 AM   #9
PluieEnfant
Returning

As long as it can't cut through anyone, yes. I wouldn't make it out of metal, because it would be a little heavy anyway. There was a Marluxia in this years Megacon who had a rather large weapon, and he was allowed to carry it around.

2011 Conventions:+metrocon+ax+

Currently Working On:
Taki Reizen (Hyakujitsu no Bara)
Gauche Suede (Tegami Bachi)
PluieEnfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2008, 01:27 PM   #10
Cry4Eternity
Let This Remind You

This is at the megacon website

Do not bring real swords, guns or any other type of an authentic weapon!!! Only props allowed!!!

Rules, Regulations & Common Sense

Always keep in mind that since the 911 incident and many other terrorist events since 911 most people are very sensitive to the display of anything that remotely looks like a threat. **Use common sense and remember what seems harmless to you may appear like a threat to someone else.

All weapons must be carried into the hall in a bag of some sort. **Remember that other convention center attendees may not be aware of the costume contests and may be frightened by something even remotely looking like a weapon. Keep your prop/weapon covered when walking through parking lots, when riding on buses, and when walking through the main part of the convention hall.

We ask that all people carrying props stay in the main hall area of D or in the specified costume contest rooms. If you need to leave these areas for any reason, you must place your prop back in the bag you carried it in.

There will be absolutely no play-acting with props allowed outside of the rooms designated for contests. (Please remember each contest will have their own set of rules for their event so please check the rules for contest you are involved in.) **Even though you know you are play acting not all attendees in the hall will know this. Use common sense and don’t frighten other attendees.

When you are leaving the hall at the end of the day you must return your prop into the bag you carried it in. All props must be carried out the same way they were carried in. **I know that once the convention is over you may think, “What does it matter if I carry my prop out in the open. The show is over what can they do?” Unfortunately what you are doing is ruining any chances of us being allowed to continue to have props in future shows. Please do not ruin this opportunity for future years.

I have personally told the personnel at the convention center what a great group of responsible attendees we have at MegaCon. Please do not let future attendees or me down by not adhering to these rules. They are simple and make it safe for everyone.

Have a great and safe time at MegaCon 2009!
Exp Con--October 17-19

NEW Planned Costumes
Altair -Assassins Creed
Prince Nuada-Hellboy 2
Cry4Eternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2008, 10:52 PM   #11
EXsoldierSNAKE

But it doesn't say " You must have gun props glued up and completely non functional". I've heard some horror stories from people who went to Otakon I think. One guy said they freaked out because the magazine clip fell out of his rifle. He had it glued in and it just fell out. I was worried that the security at mega might be that bad, thats why I asked.
Unread 11-25-2008, 01:25 PM   #12
Cry4Eternity
Let This Remind You

well i have seen realistic guns with orange tips but there is going to be so many people there i don't no how they can check everyone carrying a prop but im shure they want say anything as long as it has a orange tip
Exp Con--October 17-19

NEW Planned Costumes
Altair -Assassins Creed
Prince Nuada-Hellboy 2
Cry4Eternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #13
moonfall

I didn't see anything about whips. I guess my Franziska von Karma cosplay is ok?
Raine Sage (Tales of Symphonia)
Grell Sutcliff (Kuroshitsuji, butler outfit)
Rose Bride Utena (Revolutionary Girl Utena, need new wig)
Twilight Sparkle's Gala Dress (My Little Pony: FiM)
moonfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #14
tsuoi_kaze
PERSONA! *bang*

I have a cheesy toy gun that I'll be using for the Persona 3 group, and I was actually wondering if it would be necessary to have it checked. I mean, it's not even airsoft, it's a plastic children's toy that makes a snapping sound when you pull the trigger...

We did plan to paint the tips orange for the convention.
tsuoi_kaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2009, 10:48 PM   #15
EXsoldierSNAKE

I'm just going to invest in some orange tape to put on the front of my plastic pistol I'm bringing