Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photographer's Marketplace

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-17-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
ShadowDrac
Sky Pirate

Questions about the Sigma brand

So... I'm taking a creative photography class in collage, and it requires a 35MM camera. I've always loved photography and, now that I can, I decided that I would like to delve further into the art.

The problem? The camera.

I have a canon rebel and all I can say is that I... dislike it. For various reasons. Lack of quality photos being the main.

What I'm looking at now is a SIGMA SA-7n 35MM. It's used, but apparently has taken only around 100 pictures, and comes with two lenses, a 28-80MM and a 70-300 MM (both bring me immeasurable joy, haha XD).

So I was wondering... has anyone had experience with a Sigma SA-7n? Or any Sigma, in general? What's the photo quality like? How complicated are they (smash them to bits in frustration vs regular sigh grumble vs wow that was easy)?

Also, I apologize if this is in the wrong area. I looked around for a better place and didn't see one.
ShadowDrac is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
Max_Archer
cosplayshots.com

The Rebel is a MUCH, MUCH better camera than the Sigma will be. With 35mm, the only thing that affects the quality of the photos is the film itself, the lens, and the skill of the photographer, the camera body doesn't mean much.

Keep the Canon, and if you're looking to spend money, get some lenses for it. With the Canon stuff, you'll be able to upgrade to a better body or a digital, and keep all your lenses, with the Sigma, you'll be stuck.

Last edited by Max_Archer : 12-17-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Max_Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

I don't own the Sigma camera but I do own two Sigma lenses. I did a quick internet search and found most people really like it and feel it gives you the most "bang-for-the-buck." The one item that people didn't like was you're stuck with Sigma lenses. Now, there is nothing wrong with Sigma lenses (like I said I have two) except you may find your calling and with just the Sigma line available a bit limited.

Here is one site:
http://tinyurl.com/ycvjpn3

BTW, just curious but have you tried Craigslist? Many, many bargains for film cameras since digital is becoming the standard.
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
mrgetalife
Foxkeh Says Hi!

If your film camera works now. Keep it until your class is done. I just ran into a girl a week ago asking me about how to fix a Vivitar camera because the unit she borrowed from the school broke. I told her just to bring it back before trying to fix it. They are learning tools. Almost nobody uses 35mm film anymore. And if they do its on a much higher end body with a particular reason.

So unless that camera and lens kit is so dirt cheap like $50 bucks. I wouldn't touch it.
Learn what you can from the classes you are taking. As long as you learn the techniques they are trying to show you. Even if your current camera just doesn't get it right. Its fine as long as you understand the concepts they are forcing you to use.
mrgetalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
ShadowDrac
Sky Pirate

Surfsama- Thanks for letting me know, as well as for posting the link, I really appreciate it. And I didn't think about Craigslist. The camera I'm looking at is on Ebay. I'll try Craigslist next depending on how things go. (Side note: though digitals are convenient, I will always choose a film camera over one XD.)

mrgetalife- The unit I'm looking at IS dirt cheap. Right now itís going for about $20. The lenses are both worth more than that I'm sure, despite the Sigma brand. I'll take your advice and keep my Canon onboard, though, just in case I need it.

Thanks everyone, for helping me out. I really appreciated your time.
ShadowDrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 02:57 AM   #6
Tenchi Fan
The PENTAX guy

For camera class you might be able to find a cheap Pentax k1000 and afterwards if you want to get a dslr camera the lenses will fit on all Pentax dslrs.

A lot of photography students pre-dslr( digital) actually required the use of the Asahi Pentax k1000. 3 million sold in its lifetime so you can definitely find one under $100-$50. Lots of them in the use market.
Unread 12-20-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
TykeJack
envisageu.deviantart.com

If you want to learn about lenses I suggest you refer to this site;

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/

I find these reviews to be the most involved, thorough, and well researched. I also suggest that you use an online dictionary to look up terms that you may or may not be familiar with. The ONLY thing I don't like about his reviews is that he makes every lens sound like a great lens. So if you want to make the best decision, you need to read his reviews about all different version of brands and lenses and you'll discover that he has subtle differences between lenses that are technically garbage, and those that are supreme.
TykeJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 03:30 AM   #8
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

Vos adepto quis vos persolvo pro.

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote