Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #1531
MDA
Destiny Productions

@Seifer, Final & Terra : An award would have been nice, but we enjoyed ourselves That's the main thing. And the audience loved us >D I can't wait to see videos up of it! I'll have to post a link when the video is up on youtube (there's a video of my entry from last year of the same con - but it's Kingdom Hearts XD)

I will however enter Kuja into Journeyman at Anime North in May. I want to touch up some things and redo my neck armour... I don't like how the ribbon is on it >_< Neck armour is easy to redo I just hope I have enough velvet left over - I used scraps to cover it. And I need to go buy more ribbon :P I have... four inches left of the ribbon that I used on the skirt, jacket, and neck armour.

@tifaia : Thank you very much! We were well loved at Con-G ^^

But I do have a question now. But allow me to explain first - I wanted to prove a point with Kuja (so he was for more than just a Dissidia group, or that he was a dream cosplay come true). I wanted to prove that a girl with a larger chest could cosplay this character. With seeing the photos, do you think I proved my point?

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3165065/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3163023/
Madness of Duke Venomania Kaito Shion (Vocaloid) [70%] | Blake Belladonna (RWBY) [100%] | God Tier Jake English (Homestuck) [100%] | Nightie Grell Sutcliff (Kuroshihtsuji) [100%] | Condesce (Homestuck) [100%]

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART

Last edited by MDA : 03-04-2012 at 11:07 AM.
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #1532
Liliana
Palamecia's Hyper Emperor

@ Seifer, Final, & MDA: Indeed, I know I say this often, but who cares about the 'winning' part. :P Seriously. That's something that I personally don't strive for, and try not to. To me masquerades aren't about 'awards' and such, or being better than 'that' cosplayer, it's really about showing off your cosplays to the audience and giving them a good show. ^^ And having fun of course! Winning is just the extra bonus!~ And that we did both, had a BLAST of fun and we never got so much comments and handshakes from doing a skit before. O__O; That took me by surprise lol.
Liliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #1533
Seifer-sama

@ Tifaia: That's sad that your FF gatherings are getting smaller as each year passes. Is that because of how poorly FF13 did in the USA? I know fads come and they go, but it seemed like FF was still doing pretty good, especially with the Dissidia games bringing attention to older characters. I certainly hope that the FF gathering at Fanime will be just as big as last year or better, I think you would have fun with a gathering that huge.

I love your gathering pictures by the way. The two Kefka's were priceless. I have seen first hand how you can have a good gathering, but a poor leader will cause the group to quickly fizzle out. Leading a gathering is not easy work and you have to be willing to stand up in a crowd and be ready to guide/direct everyone into the right places at the right time. I personally don't think I could do it, so props to you for taking on the largest gathering at A-kon! I would love to go to one of your gatherings.

@ MDA: I am so excited to see your video. I hope someone posts something soon! I wish you luck on your revisions! I am sure you will be able to finish them in no time. As for your questions, I really think anyone can cosplay anyone they want. I don't think people should feel limited because of their gender or they physical shape. So to me, this point never needed to be proved. I do however think you did an awesome job at the cosplay. Since you are asking the question though I wonder if maybe there was a nay-sayer who doubted your ability to cosplay Kuja... so I guess I should turn the question around and ask if you feel you proved your point to said nay-sayer?

@ Liliana: Seriously, right! I have only ever entered the masq twice, but the best times I have had was sitting in the green room chatting with other cosplayers about how they made this and that. Last year at Fanime when we did our skit we kept getting stopped by people thanking us for doing a skit just like the game. I guess people really appreciate it. I am sure it was the same thing with your skit.

Cosplay Update: I don't have any Dissidia work done yet, I have been working on Ranma and Rapunzel all weekend, but Sakura con is coming up quick and I not only have to make some alterations to my Terra boots but I also need to alter my brother's Edgar armor (he keeps growing :P). So I am hoping I can finish up my little projects and then I can get started on FF6 again. I am also REALLY hoping I could have my sword finished by then as well.

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%
Charlotte Elbourne - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 20%
Meier Link - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 10%
A-ko - Project A-ko - 80%
Minwu - Final Fantasy II - 20%

Planned Projects:
Mia Fey - Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Sorceress Edea - Final Fantasy VIII
Beatrix - Final Fantasy IX
Sailor Moon / Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon (Someday!!)
Seifer-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #1534
MDA
Destiny Productions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seifer-sama View Post
@ MDA: I am so excited to see your video. I hope someone posts something soon! I wish you luck on your revisions! I am sure you will be able to finish them in no time. As for your questions, I really think anyone can cosplay anyone they want. I don't think people should feel limited because of their gender or they physical shape. So to me, this point never needed to be proved. I do however think you did an awesome job at the cosplay. Since you are asking the question though I wonder if maybe there was a nay-sayer who doubted your ability to cosplay Kuja... so I guess I should turn the question around and ask if you feel you proved your point to said nay-sayer?

Cosplay Update: I don't have any Dissidia work done yet, I have been working on Ranma and Rapunzel all weekend, but Sakura con is coming up quick and I not only have to make some alterations to my Terra boots but I also need to alter my brother's Edgar armor (he keeps growing :P). So I am hoping I can finish up my little projects and then I can get started on FF6 again. I am also REALLY hoping I could have my sword finished by then as well.
Thanks! And yeah, I actually do feel like I was able to prove my point. I've been hearing a lot of criticism towards crossplayers who have a larger chest, hearing things like "only girls with small chests should cosplay this character!" and similar, and even worse. So I wanted to set out to prove that a large-chested girl COULD cosplay this character, despite the criticism that could come with it.

I also wanted to prove a point to my mom. She had some doubts since I really only started sewing things fully on my own back in October, and Kuja was a big project to tackle with such little experience. But I was able to prove her wrong as well. It's not the amount of experience that you have, it's more having an imagination when it comes to making cosplays like this :P I know I'm going to need that a lot for next year for making Kefka, Ultimecia, and hopefully if I can pull it off (for later this year - October I'm hoping) Cloud Strife's Advent Children design (though that is much simpler than Kefka or Ultimecia).

I wish you luck for finishing Ranma and Rapunzel, and getting those alterations done on Terra's boots and Edgar's armour. After seeing Liliana's Terra boots up close, I now see why they take a lot of work (the designs on the side for the most part).
Madness of Duke Venomania Kaito Shion (Vocaloid) [70%] | Blake Belladonna (RWBY) [100%] | God Tier Jake English (Homestuck) [100%] | Nightie Grell Sutcliff (Kuroshihtsuji) [100%] | Condesce (Homestuck) [100%]

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 03:12 AM   #1535
FinalEVA
BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!

@Seifer - I'll have to try the sword / armor paint technique when I get a chance. I did see a couple photos of your Vaati cosplay when I was commenting on your Terra pic. It looks really nice. Sakura-con is now only a month away and coming up fast. I will probably go sometime before the con sometime in the next month to the venue to scout out some good locations for photo-shoots. We'll have to figure out our cosplay schedules if you want to do the photo-shoot sometime before the con. I'm still not exactly sure what I am wearing when. Tomorrow, I will start my Pen Pen costume as Jo-Ann's seems to be having a massive sale this week with coupons. So I guess my costume line-up this year is Zidane, Sack Boy, Pen Pen, and Duke. Thanks for the compliment about Duke. I decided to go back and work a few details before the con on that costume.

@tifaia - Thanks alot

@Liliana - That's generally how I feel about the masquerades / cosplay shows. I'm more about the audience than the judges. The only award I have won so far was at a contest held at an anime store for halloween for my Sack Boy costume. I got a $50 gift certificate to it. If I do get an award at one of the shows eventually - great. If not - I'll still have fun with this hobby.

@MDA - It's very difficult to look exactly like the character you are cosplaying. You did a great job with the Kuja. There has only been a few instances (count on one hand) where I've seen cosplayers look like the jumped out of the game / anime, etc. For Zidane, I'm a little big in the middle - but he is my favorite cosplay and I have been continually improving that costume for every con.

Pen Pen (Evangelion) - 10%
Duke Pantarei (Tales of Vesperia) - 95% - wig needs restyling.
Cecil Harvey (FF Dissidia) - 10%

Planned:

Emperor Gestahl (Final Fantasy VI)
Rakushun Rat form (Twelve Kingdoms)
Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles)
Link Zora Armor (LoZ: Twilight Princess)

Desired, but not confirmed:

Dart Dragoon Form (LoD)
Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

PM me for free photoshoot in Seattle area.
My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/finalevacosplay/
FinalEVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #1536
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

@everybody: Hiiii~! I've finally got most of Aya's desert dress done. I just need a belt and thigh holster for my gun. And you know what that means!? I'm ready to start Terra again! Soooo...

@Seifer: Oh embroidery mistress, be prepared cause I'm likely to pick your brain throughout this whole process. And here's my first 2 questions. When do I start embroidering, and how many threads did you use at a time?

@Lil AND Seifer: How'd you guys get the skittle beads to stay in your wigs?

@Tifa: I'm looking forward to the photoshoot! ^.^ Hopefully the wig will come out right this time and NOT fall off my head. lol

@everyone else: Everything's looking awesome guys! Keep it up!

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%
(Have the fabric, patterns and ears.)

Opera Celes: 45%
(The base dress is mostly put together. Detailing the bodice and patterning the overlay detail.)
Terra~Esper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #1537
Liliana

@Tifaia & Seifer-sama: And not to mention all the bad reviews about FF XIV.... It's been getting 2 star ratings... D8 Everyone is starting to say that this time Final Fantasy IS final... I really hope that when they make XV, they'll make a better recovery from XIII and XIV.

....Though I have been hearing news that Square wants to completely change the classic battle style For the MAIN series and make it like Dissidia, FF VII DoC, etc battle style... I REALLY HOPE NOT...!!! That'll totally kill the series!! Dx (Sorry if I am being negative, but I really don't want them to take away that good old battle style that's been around for the past 20 years, it just wouldn't be FF anymore... It really wouldn't, I don't know what I'd be playing anymore) Can someone cry with me.... anyone?

@FinalEvangelion and Seifer-Sama: I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way, haha. XD And wow Final, a $50 gift certificate?! I never got such a prize like that before!! That is really cool!

@Terra: lol skittle beads. XD I safety pinned them into my wig actually, when all the beads are on a wire/string.. I took the pin, and made it go through the loop in my beaded wire/string and then poked it inside my wig... So it is detachable.
Oh yeah! And some of them (like the armor pieces that the beads are on) are attached with bobby pins.

Last edited by Liliana : 03-06-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Unread 03-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #1538
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

@Lil: I'll cry with you. Replacing the old battle systems would be suicide, not that they're not already n the process of committing it, but still. And safety pins? Is that how you do all your skittle beads?

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%

(The base dress is mostly put together. Detailing the bodice and patterning the overlay detail.)
Unread 03-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #1539
Liliana

@Terra: Yeah pretty much. But in order to do that, they must all be strung on a wire or thread first. And I use bobby pins too, to attach beads. (like, for emperor)

*CRIES WITH YOU*
Unread 03-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #1540
Seifer-sama

@ MDA: Well I am glad you were able to prove your point. I honestly don't think there should be any limitations for who can cosplay who. I think you did an awesome job on your cosplay and I hope that your mom sees that there was no reason for her to doubt your abilities. I agree with your statement about experience, anyone can learn how to sew, they just have to apply themselves and be willing to work through the process. It obviously gets easier with time, but even people with experience still struggle through some processes. I am really looking forward to your Kefka cosplay, it was a costume I would have loved to make! He is just such a fun villain.

Thank you for your support! For the most part the Terra boots are done, at least the designs on the side, I just have to make a new base, widen out the existing boot cover, and attach everything to the new base. Easy right??? :P

@ FinalEvangelion: Thank you much! I struggled a bit with that costume, but overall, I am really pleased with the end result. I wore him at Sac Anime and I was really surprised how many people recognized who I was... I cannot believe how fast Sakura con is rolling up. I got some really good work done yesterday on some of my Ranma cosplays, so it's looking like I will be able to bring them for sure. I think I am shooting for wearing Terra and Ranma on Friday and Vaati all day Saturday. So hopefully that meshes well with your plans. It sounds like you will be pretty busy this Sakura con! Four cosplays huh? That should be a lot of fun though.

@ Terra~Esper: Hooray for finishing Aya! And yes! I am prepared to answer any questions you have for me! For my embroidery, I only use on thread at a time, my friend that was crazy though. She said she used three at a time, so it must be a preference thing, but I really like the look on single thread. I think it single thread also gives me more control over the look because the threads aren't bunching up over themselves and looking bulky. And Skittle beads? Love it. I pulled a bit of hair into the beads and tied a knot with the hair and forced the bead to slide over the knot... My beads seem to have stayed, but I bet there is a better way to do it. :P

@Liliana: FFXIV already has bad reviews?? I haven't seen anything on it yet, that's what I get for not socializing with video games nerds... :P But yes, I would love to see FF make a recovery... but I really don't know if that will start happening until they start listening to the fans/critics. I remember reading an article about FF13 and the person writing the article called it linear, which is was. The director of FF13 responded with something like "You Americans wouldn't know a good game from a bad"... That may be true and it may not, but I think anyone in that industry should be willing to look at any criticism and be willing to accept that some of it may be true.

I will cry with you if they do change the battle system. I would really love for them to go back to their roots and not drive further away from it. I want to see a FANTASY game again, not a Sci-Fi game...

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%

Planned Projects:
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Unread 03-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #1541
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

@Lil: ;_;

@Seifer: I don't even know where I heard that. I thought it was one of you that had called them that... lol I tried to do my practice embroidery with multiple threads, and it was a bit of a hassle. I'll give singles a shot and see how it goes. Thanks! ^.^ But in the process of sewing my dress, when should I do the embroidery? I was planning to line it and don't want the threads to show through everything.

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%

Unread 03-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #1542
Seifer-sama

@ Terra~Esper: I sewed up the outside of my dress, embroidered it, and then sewed/attached the lining. I think what I was doing for a while was only attaching the pieces of the bodice that I knew I would be embroidering on. Once that embroidery was finished I attached another piece, embroidered on it and so on and so forth. I did it that way because I didn't want to taffeta I used to get to scuffed up and frayed from me working with it. I also don't like working with too much fabric while embroidering. I hate it when my thread constantly gets caught on things. :P Also too! I am not sure if you have experimented yet, but make sure you buy a few colors you like and then test them on your fabric before you commit. I bought a few floss colors I really liked but as soon as I tested them on my fabric I knew they were not going to work.

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%

Planned Projects:
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Unread 03-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #1543
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

@Seifer: Okay. I think I can do that. But is there anything I need to know about dealing with embroidery on a stretchy fabric?

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%

Unread 03-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #1544
Seifer-sama

@ Terra~Esper: Stretchy fabric? Well you should probably get some iron on stabilizer (I use it for all of my embroider). It probably won't stretch in the spot you iron it on and embroider it, but that's probably for the best since embroidery doesn't handle stretch very well. I would do a test or two and see if that will work for you.

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%

Planned Projects:
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Unread 03-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #1545
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

@Seifer: Iron on stabilizer?? What's that????

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%