Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #1696
SoraXroxasXaxel
静か 領

I'm planning on doing a Firion cosplay. Some time in the future though. He has far too many weapons/trinkets/articles of clothing etc.. I rarely see any Firion cosplays, and when I do see them, they are often people wearing white muscle shirts with blue jeans, a cape, some weird arm bands and the thing he wears on his head, and possibly one sword. Or they're usually missing something I can easily point out that is essential to his look. There has to be someone who will go all out with detail. So I guess I'll do it. Worth a try, right? Then I might do an Onion knight cosplay.
SoraXroxasXaxel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #1697
FinalEVA
BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!

Picture Gallery Up Finally!!! This site slowly is coming back from the dead.

@Seifer - Didn't think of that, but I could put a think layer of Gesso over Bondo if I needed to fill in large dents in the Wonderflex with Bondo so the surface is even. I went back and tested the toe armor on my Duke cosplay and Bondo does flex a little more than I thought it did without cracking. I guess it depends on how thick of a layer you put.

Once I get to the painting stage, I will have to experiment a bit. Do you usually order stuff like paints online or find them at stores? I'll have to see if Micheal's has it.

Thanks for the links and terms. That's exactly what I was looking for! It's the stuff that goes along bed skirts.

My next concern with the inner cape. So I'm going to applique the blue pieces on top of the yellow. What's the best way to deal with the raw edge on applique? Is it best to straight stitch around the border or do a tight zig zag stitch?

I'm glad the pics got there safely. I put plenty of warning for the postal service to not bend them. Glad they followed.

@Seifer and Tifaia - Taking in the advice to build up the armor on top, I thought about it the last couple days on how I can do it without scrapping or damaging what I already have. I'm going to build a separate chest panel. I'll use steel wire to get the basic shape of the panel and then pattern out craft foam and Wonderflex over the wire structure. Then I can mold it to my body armor since wonderflex can easily do that. Hopefully, I was clear enough in my explanation. I'll put a photo up when I finish (hopefully today the 10th).

As for the job, I'm already on the search for a new job. It seems like it's just my manager rather than corporate policy about requesting weekends off. From what I hear, she is almost on her way out by her boss. The next con I want to go to is in July, which is in Vancouver, Canada. My passport renewal arrived in the mail today. Yay!

@Tifaia - that was good you were able to get that solved with your work. Did it have to do with the original hiring contract? BTW, I did see your Nights cosplay on FB. It looks awesome along with the photography.

@Terra - I'm sure you can make it. Just focus on one task at a time and not think about the other tasks. That's what I usually do in that situation. Thinking about all the other stuff you have to do can be very stressful.

@Sora - go for it. I did see a couple Firion cosplays at Fanime last year, although I did not know the character very well.

Pen Pen (Evangelion) - 10%
Duke Pantarei (Tales of Vesperia) - 95% - wig needs restyling.
Cecil Harvey (FF Dissidia) - 10%

Planned:

Emperor Gestahl (Final Fantasy VI)
Rakushun Rat form (Twelve Kingdoms)
Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles)
Link Zora Armor (LoZ: Twilight Princess)

Desired, but not confirmed:

Dart Dragoon Form (LoD)
Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

PM me for free photoshoot in Seattle area.
My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/finalevacosplay/
FinalEVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #1698
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

Projects for today:
Finish making boot covers
Finish building wig base

Projects still to do:
Finish embroidery
Put dress together
Put patches on gloves and boots
Put cape together
Finish wig
Attempt to finish shoulder guards

Time til Akon: 20 days O.O

@everyone: I've gotten the gold part done on my shoes and the wig seems to actually be coming together decently for once. I still have to finish sealing the stub, and make the ponytail extension, But it seems to be cooperating for once. ^^;;;

@Seifer: I still need those cape pictures, hun.

@Tifa: You're dragging me along whether I want to or not, aren't you? -stare- Is it too late to sign up for walk ons?

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%
(Have the fabric, patterns and ears.)

Opera Celes: 45%
(The base dress is mostly put together. Detailing the bodice and patterning the overlay detail.)
Terra~Esper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #1699
Seifer-sama

@ MDA: Bummer the site still isn't up. I guess it's safe to say any site fixes will always take twice as long than expected.

@ Tifaia: Yeah!! Make Terra enter a competition! It will be a good ego boost! Thanks for the PM by the way. I got it some time last night. I was actually pretty shocked to see that part of the site was working again. As for Fanime, I think that's the plan for me this year too. Sakura con was fun but it was busy busy busy and the lead up to was just as busy. I would like for Fanime to be relaxed and laid back if I can.

And that's an awesome old school group you have going!!! That must be super exciting. I would love to do Chrono Cross so day, it's one of my favorite games. I used to bring some of my drawings to work on at my other job and people were always looking over my shoulder and trying to see what I was doing (a lot asked for favors too). But yeah, sometimes if you want to get stuff like that done you just have to squeeze some time in there to work on it. But I am glad that you were able to finish that part of the costume. It was a must for sure!

@ Terra~Esper: Don't worry, you can do it! We believe in you!! I am going to look for that document for you this evening and also post my cape pictures too. I would have yesterday but I got sick. ^^; But don't worry, just do what you can and if you have to debut it only mostly finished, it will be fine too. You will still look beautiful. I am glad to hear you are making progress though!

@ SoraXroxasXaxel: Awesome!! I love Firion and I would love to see someone do all those crazy details. Props to giving attention to the little details. I would also love to see more Onion Knights. He's so darn cute!!

@ FinalEvangelion: Yahoo!! Soon it will be alive again!!

As for the armor, I am glad the Bondo flexes a little at least. I think a little would be all you need, especially since a lot of your armor pieces are held on with straps. If you were making pull over pieces it might be a problem. :P

For the paints, I usually just buy them at Joanns or Wal-Mart. I think most craft stores should have that brand. I have been tempted to try Martha Stewart's brand (the one Michaels carries) but I haven't had the chance yet. There are lots of color options with that brand though.

If you are appliqueing two things together what works really well is to buy Heat N Bond and iron one fabric to the other. This helps the fabric stay in place so you get an more even applique. I am not sure what setting your machine has, but with mine I have to use a zig zag stitch and lower the stitch width. I think some machines already have a satin stitch option, but either will work for applique.

Yes the pictures arrived just fine. I will probably be doing much the same when I mail Sarah's to her. :P

I hope my suggestion helps with your armor. I am not really sure I understood your idea but you seem to have a grasp of what you need to do next so that's all that matters. I'm looking forward to your photos!

Good luck in your job search!!

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%
Charlotte Elbourne - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 20%
Meier Link - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 10%
A-ko - Project A-ko - 80%
Minwu - Final Fantasy II - 20%

Planned Projects:
Mia Fey - Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Sorceress Edea - Final Fantasy VIII
Beatrix - Final Fantasy IX
Sailor Moon / Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon (Someday!!)
Seifer-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #1700
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

@SoraXroxasXaxel: There are very few people that cosplay Firion. Onion Knight, Warrior of Light, and most of the villains. For how much I see "Final Fantasy is over-cosplayed" it's like um...no. No it's not. Here are about 1,000 characters I can name that are rarely if ever done. lol Best of luck to you on your venture! We're always happy to help if you need some suggestions. ^^

@Final: It wasn't in the contract. They have a black-out period from November-February because it's the holidays, when the make most of their money. But everything else was bs. lol

@Terra: Online sign-ups are closed. But they usually leave open about 10 slots at the convention. Last year some people that were in the hallway contest they made room for the main stage because their costumes were so great.

@Seifer: I'm really excited for those costumes because they will all be in groups! Which I've never had a chance to do ever! I don't feel like the solo dork now. xD

(Random: Not FF related, but it's SE. Close enough. Bravely Default. So Pretty! Must Make! http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy...BDFF_Anies.png )
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt

Last edited by tifaia : 05-12-2012 at 11:15 AM.
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #1701
MDA
Destiny Productions

With Kuja repaired now I feel a bit at ease, and now I can't wait to make more versions of him... just, I don't know what one to do next... Indigo Bolero? original game? Trance? I don't know @_@ I can see a lot of patterns being need to be made for Trance. Though I had to basically make my own for regular Dissidia version.

Now to get to work on other things... like Cloud, CoD, and Rydia... and Velvet, and gah @_@

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #1702
Seifer-sama

@ Tifaia: I can understand why. I bet that will be a blast!! Old School is so fun, especially when you are able to get a pretty good group together. And wow that dress IS pretty. Uhg but I can't take on any more projects at the moment! I need to finish up what I have planned first. :P

@ MDA: OOh Trance would be very interesting. But yeah you seem a bit busy with other projects at the moment, so I guess you have some time to decide.

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%

Planned Projects:
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Unread 05-16-2012, 01:29 AM   #1703
FinalEVA
BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!

I'm alive. I had so much going on the last several days with a combination of being sick, working, applying for other jobs, etc. Just was too tired to respond to this thread when I had time.

@Terra - Good luck on getting all that done. I'm sure you will. If not, it will probably be okay as others have said.

@Seifer - I'll probably just end up using the small tubes for bondo patching rather than the stuff that comes in the big container that you have to mix with accelerator like you do with resin. I don't really need a whole lot for smoothing a few warped regions.

I'll look at those stores when I do end up getting the paints for this armor. I didn't know Martha Stewart had a brand. I learn something new every day, lol.

I was planning on using the heat and bond. That stuff seems to work pretty well for general appliqueing needs. I was most concerned about the edges around the applique more than anything. I think the tight Zigzag stitch was the direction I was going. I don't think my Kenmore does the satin stitch.

I was hoping to get more done with the armor, but things came up like illness. You were sick as well? I guess something is going around.

Do have an update about the job search at the end of the post (unfortunately may affect Sakura-con next year).

@tifaia - Glad that worked out with your job. Things may be getting ugly with my job tomorrow. I'll describe below.

@MDA - Sounds like you have quite a few projects. Trance Kuja sounds cool. Good luck with them though.

@ anyone - Not so cosplay related (update on job): I applied to another company to teach English in Japan (AEON). I'm really happy to say that I found out today (15th) that I am invited to an interview in Portland this weekend. However, things may get a bit ugly at my job tomorrow (the 16th). I was told on very short notice that I was going to Portland this weekend for an interview, so I will be having to tell my boss that. There is a very good chance that I will have to leave the current job to do that. Of course, the possibility of going to Japan for a career is much more important for me.

So that could affect Sakura-con, though. I want to do my best to fly in during that time though, since that would be my first choice when to go to America. I'd probably rather do my cosplay / con stuff here in America rather than over there. From what I hear, cons are more about corporate venues and the cosplay is less about social interaction and meeting people and more about just getting pictures taken in a certain location. That was kind of the impression I got when I went to Tokyo Game Show in 2008.

Veered on a tangent, but I talked about Dissidia related stuff as well.

Planned:

Dart Dragoon Form (LoD)
Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Unread 05-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #1704
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

@everyone: Time until Akon: 15 days.

Things still to finish:
Hem cape
Finish Embroidery
Finish Boots
Finish Wig
Finish Gloves

I have decided to scrap the shoulder pads with this outfit, simply because of how the cape came out. It's waaaay too lumpy for them, and I can't make them work properly. On another note: I spent hours yesterday sculpting a new pendant for the costume. It came out WAAAY better than I was expecting. The cape is ALMOST done, just have to hem it. Now that it's together, I'm not 100% happy with the fabric choice for the outside of it, but I DO NOT have the time or money to redo it, so it'll do for now.

@Final: I hope everything goes well. ^.^

Anyways... Back to work I guess.

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%

(The base dress is mostly put together. Detailing the bodice and patterning the overlay detail.)
Unread 05-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #1705
Seifer-sama

@ FinalEvangelion: Hey welcome back to the land of the living! Sorry to hear about you being busy/sick, that’s not fun.

I think small patches should work just fine. It usually seems like Wonderflex warps in a few random spots and only a few are that noticeable. At least in my experience anyway. One thing I have noticed though is if you are Frankenstein-ing scrap pieces to make armor, you have those warped shapes more frequently. As for paint, yeah Martha has her own brand… Ha ha! It’s not really that I care that it’s her paint, but she does have a wide variety of colors. If they work well enough it might be worth it so I don’t have to mix for the right shade.

Heat and Bond is awesome. I would just say that you should make sure when you iron it, that you don’t get it on your ironing board and then accidentally iron it to the right side of your fabric. Yeah… I have done that a few times. If I am understanding correctly, you are concerned about the edges of the appliqué, not the fabric? Appliqué is usually done along the raw edge of the fabric to the point where it covers the edge. If that makes sense… ^^;

I am sure you will get more armor work done when you are feeling better and when the issues with your job settle down. As for me… I have this illness called vampirism… (okay not really but close enough) If I am out in the sun for too long I get really sick/headaches/body aches, that sort of thing. Summer is coming up too quick and I am having a tough time adjusting.

Sorry to hear about the job drama but if Japan is really what you want to do, then I guess an inflexible Retail job is not worth the stress. It’s hard to walk away from a job when you need it though. But I will keep my fingers crossed that you hear good news from your interview today!!

I heard the same thing about cosplay in Japan from another friend who went there for a few years. It sounds like there are a lot of rules about it and usually cons are not very cosplay-friendly. A pitty really. But I am glad to hear that you might come back for Sakura con. Any chance you might make Fanime as well?

@ Terra~Esper: Hey you are moving along at a good pace!! I am sure you will make it. I am so excited to see photos when it's all finished. As for the pauldrons, could those maybe be added at a later time? How is the wig coming along? Last I heard you needed to add wefts.

Cosplay Update: Meh not really. I am having a tough time staying motivated at the moment. This month has been rather annoying... But I am almost done with Chun Li, which is exciting because I would love to move onto other projects. I still need to do the grommets for Terra's dress, but I think that's the only fix for her, which is awesome. Fanime is rolling up pretty quick, so I don't have a lot of time. Honestly (even though I am still not finished), I wish it were here already. I need a vacation desperately.

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%

Planned Projects:
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Unread 05-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #1706
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

@Seifer: The wig is coming along. The base is done, I just have to finish the extension and attach it. I dunno about the pauldrons. When David gets home, I'll take pictures of the cape and show you.

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%

Unread 05-17-2012, 12:23 AM   #1707
FinalEVA
BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!

@Terra - Thanks.

@Seifer - I love the term "Frankensteining" - that made me laugh a bit. I've noticed it's when you go back and fix mistakes in the wonderflexing process that the warping happens. Then trying to go back and fix the warping can sometimes make it worse. It happened with the body armor when I had to fix the shape a little bit and heat the wonderflex to cut into the craft foam underneath. As for paints, it would be nice if I could find the right color off the bat. The grey will be the hardest since it's so light with the purple / blue tinge in it. Probably will have to mix for that.

I did use interfacing in the Duke coat to stiffen it a bit at the bottom so it can flair out a bit more than just hang down. I suppose heat and bond is similar, but both sides? Yep, my concern was the applique. So putting the narrow / short zigzag stitch on the border of the applique to the fabric, right? That's what I was planning on doing.

Wow, I think you are the first person I met that feels the same way about summers that I do. Yours is mostly day length? For me, I think it's mostly heat. While everyone else seems to get in a really good mood when summer comes, I go the opposite. When winter comes, my spirits lift up. Maybe the reverse of SADS or something? That's one of the reasons why I got out of Texas as soon as I could. I actually enjoyed the harsh winters and all the snow in Montana when I lived there, though. People thought I was pretty crazy, I suppose.

Job drama ended up being alot less than I thought. I was really thinking I was going to have to resign to go to this interview (which I would have if it came down to it). But, my boss was surprisingly understanding. I did tell her at the interview that the job was temp until I found a career. My interview for the Japan job will actually be on Saturday in Portland. Thanks for the wishes of luck, though! I really enjoyed my time in Japan last time I lived there, so I really look forward to it again if I can go again. If I remember correctly, did you tell me you visited there before?

Although I never cosplayed in Japan, my friend (the guy at Fanime that took our pics when we were Cecil and Terra) did and they have tons of weird rules. You have to show up in normal clothes so you have to pay to use a changing booth when you get there. No prop weapons of any kind, which is one of my fav. aspects of the hobby. He told me that when he was trying to chat with other cosplayers in the area, the security guy told him that he was interfering with the picture taking process. Photographers have to line up to each cosplayer to get pictures while the cosplayers are spaced out along the wall.

I'll probably make costumes there, but wait until I get back to the US to wear them

As for SC and Fanime, if I'm working in Japan - I'll try to go to one or the other, which may be difficult - but I'll see. If I work here, then it will be more of a possibility. Either way, we'll see what happens.

Planned:

Dart Dragoon Form (LoD)
Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Last edited by FinalEVA : 05-17-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Unread 05-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #1708
Seifer-sama

@ Terra~Esper: Well I am glad to hear it's coming along nicely. It was just a suggestion if you still wanted to have the pauldrons. I would love to see your cape though!

@ FinalEvangelion: Frankenstein-ing is a pretty accurate term for it too! But hey always happy to make people laugh. :P You are right though, Wonderflex does seem to get fussier when you go back to try and fix something. I guess the best method around that is to let the wonderflex sit the way it wants and then work with it afterwards. As for paints, I have noticed that if you are looking for a specific color, you will never find it. Especially grey blue shades. I think though that it might be fairly easy to mix, at least I hope so.

Yes, Heat and Bond is similar to stabilizer/interfacing, but thinner. It's basically a sheet of glue you iron to your fabrics. As for applique, you got it. Just narrow zigzag stitch all the way around the raw edge of the fabric. Were you going to applique the one fabric to the other?

Ha ha, yeah I think you are one of the few that I know of too. Not only is it the sun for me, but the heat gets to me too. I don't sweat like a normal person, so my core temperature just keeps going up and has a tough time cooling down. Like I said, the illness of vampirism. :P I would rather be cold than over heated any day, so I would totally have to agree with you. I don't blame you for leaving Texas, I probably would have died there in the summer. I am sure Seattle is a welcomed change. :P

I am so glad to hear the job drama wasn't as bad as you though. That's wonderful when that happens. Oh so the interview hasn't happened? Okay well good luck this Saturday then!! And yes, you did remember correctly. I actually spent two weeks in Japan backpacking all over the main island. It was a blast. It's such a lovely country too.

Ah okay so yeah your friend sounds like he had a similar experience as my friend. She did mention that there were a lot of rules and it does sound very unfriendly to cosplayers. So I can understand wanting to cosplay here instead. :P And here's hoping we at least see you at one of those two cons. Although for weather reason, I would probably pick Sakura con if I were you.

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%

Planned Projects:
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Unread 05-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #1709
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

@Terra: Keep at it! We know you'll get it done in time. ^^

@Final: I'm glad that your boss was understanding. Best of luck to you with the interview! I've thought about doing one of those programs since half of my studies have been in Japanese film. But ugh...finances. Even with a job or the JET program totally would not cover my loan bills. lol

@Seifer: One week to go! I wish I wasn't so consumed with Lady Lilith to get Rose done, but oh well. She'll be something to work on down the line. Having said that and if Fanime is as awesome as everyone says it is, I'm coming back next year and we're doing Vampire Hunter D. It's been decided! >.>

@Final & Seifer: We all have reverse SADS. I dislike the summer. Mostly because the sun hates me. I'm going to be swimming in sunscreen when I head out to Cali next week. lol

Dissidia News: If any of you have seen my progress on my Facebook page, I've been spandex happy. When I remake CoD I'm going to do what I did with my recent version and this dress I have been working on. spandex cutouts on nude has been way better then I originally anticipated. I don't know why I was so concerned about it the first time. *shrugs* Hope to have photos asap after Fanime!
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 02:58 AM   #1710
FinalEVA
BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!

@Seifer - that sounds about right with wonderflex. Trying to correct things to fast instead of letting it do it's thing probably makes the warping worse. Out of curiosity, have you had much experience using friendly plastic as a coating layer? I hear people do that as well.

As for the applique, my project is putting the blue designs on the yellow inner cape going by the figurine that I own as a reference, with the blue designs being the applique. I think it would look nicer than painting them on there, personally -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/finalev...7626431848774/

I decided to go by the figurine as my primary reference for colors and what not. On a side note, I am tempted to paint Terra's hair green on that figurine ever since I got it last year. I always thought blonde hair was kind of dull and the green hair looks much better with the red dress.

As for the sweating thing, that sounds pretty bad. You must have to really take careful watch of the temperature. Seattle is a very nice change from Texas. I love how much more bearable it is right now (already in the 90s down there in TX).

Thanks for the good luck. I was surprised that the drama wasn't so bad. I think they are looking for someone to eventually replace me now, though. It's understandable because I think they know that I'm not going to be around too much longer with that job. That must have been a fun trip. I've done some backpacking here in the US, but I do want to do some more outdoorsy stuff next time I go there. I'll try to go to SC as my first choice for being within proximity to my friends.

I'm thinking maybe events for cosplay outside of cons may be better over there, but we'll see. Maybe picnics and what not - if they do that.

So Fanime is coming up soon, which costumes did you decide to bring there? I remember seeing your Chun Li on FB, which looked great. Taking Terra over there as well?

@tifaia -Thanks. I definitely have my fair share of student loans that need to be paid off as well. I have my bill to vary with income level though, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

I've been there with the sun before. I remember getting a 2nd degree burn on a cloudy day in San Antonio at one time on my shoulders after swimming when I was a kid. I couldn't move my arms for a while. Glad to hear the spandex is working out, though.

Planned:

Dart Dragoon Form (LoD)
Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)