Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #1711
Seifer-sama

@ Tifaia: Just reading your post to FinalEvangelion about loan payments... I totally hear you. I HAVE to have a good job to afford to pay those leeches back. Anyway... I am soooooo excited for Fanime! So excited!! And it's okay if you don't get Rose done this year, maybe if you come again next year you can have her! I know I will still have Chun Li. And wow, I just had my next cosplay plan decided for me... :P Thank goodness my fabric for Charlotte just showed up yesterday. Hee hee! Speaking of Vampire Hunter D, I think my bf wants to also do Leila and Borgoff... but I think will just bring Charlotte and Meier for Fanime since you will be doing Leila. But ha! We will be working on the same costume at the same time.

Yays! CoD progress. That's exciting. I will have to check FB later today and see some of your progress.

@ FinalEvangelion & Tifaia: The sun hates us because it's evil... And I will be rocking the sunscreen too! Last year I got the silliest burn from my Terra cape because I forgot to wear it. :P

@ FinalEvangelion: I have only used Friendly Plastic once and I probably won't ever use it again. I used it on my Zelda pauldrons and it was such a pain to work with. It was like using another layer of wonderflex that did not want to shape properly. I can see how it would be helpful if you don't have any designs on your armor... but still, for how expensive it is, I wouldn't say it's worth all the issues it causes. I will stick to the slowness of gesso drying any day.

Ah okay, I see what you are doing. So what I would do is get a strip of blue fabric (preferably a similar fabric as the yellow), cut out a strip of Heat and Bond the exact shape as the blue, iron them together, iron the blue to the yellow, and applique away! Applique is kind of a pain in the butt to learn how to do at first, but it REALLY makes a difference. I did appliques for my Chun Li dress and it really helps make all those designs pop.

YAYS!!!! I am so glad you agree with the green hair for Terra. I never liked her as a blonde. I thought it was so.... boring. She is an Esper, make her stand out durnit!! My friend actually bought me that Terra at Sakura con and I might actually just paint it green...

I always have to watch the temperature... I should probably wear a hat more often too... But anyway, I wish I was in Seattle, it's already high 80's here.

Japan was actually really fun to backpack around because there were hostels everywhere. A lot of them are on the far outskirts of the city, but they are waaaay cheaper than any hotels. I saw lots of lovely temples while I was there and some gorgeous scenery, so yeah I would totally recommend you walk around if you get the chance when you go! If you do any cosplay there try to get pictures too!

Fanime: The plan thus far is Terra, Chun Li, Vaati, and perhaps Sheik. So a relatively easy con. I wasn't able to finish Yoko in time for the Twelve Kingdoms gathering they have there... but that will give me more time to work really hard on her. And thanks for the compliment on my Chun Li costume! Oddly enough, I am really proud/pleased with it.

Cosplay Update: I chipped some paint on my Terra boots so that's another minor fix but that shouldn't take long. I finished the gesso part of my Chun Li bracelets so those are almost done. I also have to make a Frank West jacket for my bf this weekend, so I'm pretty busy, but I think everything should be finished in time for Fanime. I hope everyone's progress is also going well.

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%
Charlotte Elbourne - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 20%
Meier Link - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 10%
A-ko - Project A-ko - 80%
Minwu - Final Fantasy II - 20%

Planned Projects:
Mia Fey - Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Sorceress Edea - Final Fantasy VIII
Beatrix - Final Fantasy IX
Sailor Moon / Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon (Someday!!)
Seifer-sama is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-21-2012, 03:05 AM   #1712
FinalEVA
BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!

@Seifer - Sounds more like Unfriendly Plastic to me. Didn't you say you used it to mold the designs on the shoulder armor? Sounds like I'll stick to Bondo and Gesso for wonderflex needs.

I like the applique idea. I think it will definitely look more authentic than painting the designs on that inner scarf / cape.

I'm really happy that you and Terra Esper decided to go with green hair instead of blonde. I know she was intended to be blonde and was a last minute decision to make her sprite stand out more to make her hair green, but it's so much more fitting for her. I hope when they do the remake, they don't make her blonde (knowing SE, they might).

I don't think we have reached 80 here yet. We did get to the upper 70s, though. It's been very nice change from Texas, which is already in the 90s by this time of the year.

As you know from FB, I didn't make it in. I decided I may put those plans on hold for a while and stick around here for a while in Seattle and find a career. I have quite a few friends around here, I like the city, and of course I like SakuraCon being right here. I might go a different route and look for a company that may be able to send me to Japan.

That's too bad about Yoko, but of course there are always more cons. As you say, it will give you more time to make sure everything is good. I need to make sure I give myself enough time for Rakushun before next SakuraCon. It's good that you are having a more relaxing Fanime. Good luck on getting things finished by then.

Speaking of that, I've been watching the Acksonl and MLZ and other cosplay videos recently while working on stuff or for cosplay motivation. I did see the Acksonl video that featured your Twilight Princess group quite a bit (had the men in suits with Vanille at the end). You guys looked awesome in that.

Cosplay update: This weekend I was gone, so nothing. This upcoming week, I'm working many less hours so that should give me time to get some done.

Pen Pen (Evangelion) - 10%
Duke Pantarei (Tales of Vesperia) - 95% - wig needs restyling.
Cecil Harvey (FF Dissidia) - 10%

Planned:

Emperor Gestahl (Final Fantasy VI)
Rakushun Rat form (Twelve Kingdoms)
Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles)
Link Zora Armor (LoZ: Twilight Princess)

Desired, but not confirmed:

Dart Dragoon Form (LoD)
Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

PM me for free photoshoot in Seattle area.
My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/finalevacosplay/
FinalEVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #1713
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

Thank you cosplay gods, for not allowing me to get rid of my old Terra boot covers when I wanted to. ^.^

After cannibalizing the stretch fabric I used in the first pair and moving them to the second pair, things are FINALLY looking up! I'm cutting out the new cuff now then will add trim. PROGRESS! I LOVES IT!!! -happydance-

Progress:
Time til Akon: 10 days (This is starting to sound like that phonecall from The ring...)

Things still to do:
Finish boots
Finish gloves
Finish dress and embroidery (So close it hurts!)
Finish ponytail extension for wig

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%
(Have the fabric, patterns and ears.)

Opera Celes: 45%
(The base dress is mostly put together. Detailing the bodice and patterning the overlay detail.)
Terra~Esper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #1714
Seifer-sama

@ FinalEvangelion: Very unfriendly for sure.... I did use it on my Zelda pauldrons, but it was just to cover the wonderflex texture (the designs were already made with foam and forms with wonderflex) but it barely did that...

I think the applique will look very nice with your Cecil cosplay. Let me know if you have any questions or if you get stuck on something. Applique is kind of tricky at first.

Haha! Well we need more green haired Terra's! That's what color it was originally and I am sticking with it. I would love to see FF6 remade, but like you, I am so afraid they would make her blonde... Blarg.

Haha! I would consider living near Seattle just to have that weather for the summer. 70s sound soooooo nice.

I am so sorry to hear you didn't make it into that position. That is a bummer, but maybe it's for the best. You just moved into Seattle, you seem to like it, you have friends there, so maybe staying and finding a career would be the best thing for you. If Japan is ultimately where you want to be though, I am sure you will find a way.

Yes there are always more cons. That's what I keep telling myself. I think I was probably taking a bigger bite than I could chew anyway. I planned to make Chun Li and Yoko in too short of time, so really it's my own fault. But once Fanime is over I can just make her the priority and give that costume the time/attention to detail I wanted to do anyway. I really look forward to seeing you do Rakushun. He looks like a pretty tough project to tackle.

Ha ha! That was the first time I had ever been in a cosplay video... I was so nervous but I thought it all looked pretty cool in the end. And thanks!! I was trying to find the one guy who did a video of my Terra cosplay at Sakura con, but no luck yet.

@ Terra~Esper: I am so happy things are coming together for you! That is so exciting!! I can't wait to see this one finished. Good luck on what you have left. It sounds like you are pretty close to finishing everything!

Cosplay Update: Not much really. I would have loved to get the grommets done for Terra, but I was pretty busy this weekend. I have until Friday though... so that should be enough time I think. :P

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%

Planned Projects:
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Unread 05-23-2012, 02:37 AM   #1715
FinalEVA
BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!

Wrote a whole post... now gone and have to write it again...

@Terra - Sounds like things are coming together. I'll hope for the best.

@Seifer - That's right, you gave me the photo of the Zelda pauldrons. I think that's how I was planning on doing the designs on the cecil armor (surrounding the foam with wonderflex).

If I have any questions, I'll be sure to ask you. I'll still need to get the fabric for the Cecil stuff (I have almost everything for the armor). The fabric portion is not too terrible - just need to make a sleeveless unitard / zentai suit to go under my armor, and get fabric for the main cape, the inner scarf, and the side scarves.

As for the figurine, Spencer told me he would paint it to fix it to the way it should be since he has paints and has done lots of model painting for various table top games like 40k, etc. You probably know from cosplaying her, but her hair is emerald green, right?

I think you would like Seattle. I like the weather here (I'm probably one of the few that say this) and there is definitely lots to do here. If you like Asian food and culture, you would definitely enjoy it. The main drawbacks are the cost of living and traffic.

I've pretty well recovered from the Japan thing by now. I'm happy staying here for now. If I went, I would be risking the Sakura Con plans for next year, which I'm really looking forward to with the FF6 / 12 Kingdoms groups. I wouldn't be able to bring Akiba, either.

I've learned a lot of life stuff gets in the way of cosplay and I usually want to do many more projects than I have realistic time for. As for cons, it looks like the next one I'm going to is AkiCon around Halloween. I'm putting that as my ultimate deadline for finding another job that will let me go to cons. I don't know if you heard of it, but it's a smaller one up here in Seattle (Bellevue, actually). You guys might want to look into it.

So you must be getting ready to leave for Fanime soon? Have lots of fun there and be sure to get some pictures of you guys!

As for that cosplay video, did you do that after the Zelda gathering that year? I found one where I was Sackboy and Spencer was Action Bastard from SC 2012 by Fastmatt. I haven't seen any yet of your Terra, but I will let you know if I do. Spencer was trying to find one of his Vindicare Assassin, but with no luck. Maybe if they mess up on focusing, etc. - they throw it out? I was looking into doing cosplay videos like that, but when I found out how much those Steadicam vests are, I changed my mind - A whole lot more than my camera, lighting, and lenses combined.

Planned:

Dart Dragoon Form (LoD)
Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Last edited by FinalEVA : 05-23-2012 at 02:42 AM.
Unread 05-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #1716
Seifer-sama

@ FinalEvangelion: I hate it when that happens!

Armor: Originally that was how I would make details with wonderflex (the foam underneath) but unless you cut out multiple layers of the foam and build it under the wonderflex, it won't be as noticeable. So far my favorite method it with the foam on the outside of the wonderflex. But again, it really depends on the character and the look you are going for. Subtle really works for some armor.

Cecil: It sounds like you have an idea what you are doing and if you do run into any issues feel free to ask. Are there good fabric shops up there in Seattle?

Terra Figurine: That was nice of Spencer. Maybe he could paint mine too. :P As for the color, I think my wig was labeled as Jade green, which is interesting because it seems like it might have a tiny bit of aqua blue in it... I would have to see the paint colors he has I guess... or you could just do your best to pick the one closest to the sprite.

Seattle: I probably would like the Seattle area. I like rainy weather, but I am not much of a city person. I could probably live outside of the city though. And Asian food and culture is always awesome.

Japan: I am glad to hear your spirits are higher about Japan. Maybe it just is for the better that you will be in Seattle a little longer. I am really looking forward to the FF6 and the 12K group as well!! It's going to be so awesome. Speaking of which, all of Spencer's fabrics have arrived, but I won't be able to work on them until after Fanime.

Aki Con & Fanime: I have never heard of it but if I can I will try to look into it. I will have to see how things look when i get there (financially I mean. :P) Yep, Fanime is just around the corner. I am pretty excited and a bit stressed. I have a lot to do before then, but that seems to be the pattern. :P And I will do my best to get some pictures your way! Thanks!

Cosplay Video: Yeah we had to wait a while while he went to go grab his equipment but I didn't mind the chance to sit down. It actually started raining and I was a bit worried about my Puppet makeup smearing. That's cool that you found one with you and Spencer. I wonder if I have seen that one. I think the guy who did a video of my Terra was the same guy who might have done one for Spencer. So hopefully we will find that one guy. :P And yeah that equipment is sooooooo expensive... but I guess if that's your hobby you will buy it without thinking twice.

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%

Planned Projects:
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Unread 05-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #1717
MDA
Destiny Productions

@Terra : Sounds like things are coming right along for your Terra cosplay! Please make sure to get lots of pictures when you're done

Into the figure topic: I hope they make more figures for Dissidia. I love that they made Zidane (I'll be hunting for him at Anime North this weekend), but I do hope that they make Kefka, Kuja, Emperor, CoD and Ultimecia. Ultimecia has absolutely no figures, and Kuja only has ONE (trance for when IX came out).

I guess I just made it obvious that I love the villains :P Sephiroth is no problem to find - considering he's so freaking popular, all the dealers at my cons get him in stock. I'd rather have his Advent Children version to go with my Vincent - I need Cloud also ><

And Seifer, I say if you want Terra's hair green go for it - you can always get another so you could have her in two versions.

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 04:35 AM   #1718
FinalEVA
BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!

@Seifer -

For the chest piece, you can see where the lighter blue designs on the darker blue - http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...idia_Cecil.png . That's where I was thinking of wrapping the wonderflex around the foam pieces. I really want the more subtle design for that. Other parts like the trim / border around the shoulder pauldrons, I'll probably put the foam around.

Applique / Fabric: Now that I look at that pic, I can see there is a brownish border around the blue parts of the inner scarf (between the blue and yellow). Maybe using brown thread for the zig-zag stitch for that. That brown part wasn't in the figurine or in game render. There is a Hancock right where I live and an Jo-Ann not too far. There is also a costume shop that sells fabrics and things just for costumes, which is neat.

I showed him the figurine today, and saw there were going to be a couple difficult spots - like the beading around the head. Hopefully, we can figure it out. If he can figure it out, I'm sure he would have no problem doing yours as well.

I grew up in a big city, but I lived in smallish town (well, 30,000 people) in Bozeman, MT for a while. I've enjoyed both experiences. It is nice not having to deal with traffic from big cities, though.

That's totally fine to wait after Fanime for shadow. There is still quite a bit of time before it needs to be done. He's going to be at Anime Oasis this weekend as well (I would be there if it weren't for work ).

Here is the website for Akicon - http://www.akicon.org/AkiCon.html. This year will be my first year, but Spencer went last year and enjoyed it. Have fun at Fanime. Hopefully you were able to get done what you needed to do.

As for cosplay videos - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIR3VyYjkaI at 1:35 and the very end after the credits were us. It probably takes some skill to do that - especially focusing since it has to be done manually while moving around. Maybe he was a little newer to this.

@MDA - I have seen Kefka figure of him in his angelic final form before. Don't remember where it was. I have all the Zidane figures, including his bigger in-game one. I would like to Kain and Rydia as well.

Cosplay Update: Made some progress today. http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3211851/ I added a chest panel to the body armor to make the chest look bigger. I will need to use some Bondo to make it looks seamless with the regular armor, but the wonderflex was easy just to mold the chest panel into the armor itself. Unfortunately, I have a few warped areas that need some love.

Planned:

Dart Dragoon Form (LoD)
Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Unread 05-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #1719
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

Progress:
Time til Akon: 7 days (Anyone creeped out yet?)

Things still to do:
Finish gloves
Finish dress and embroidery (So close it hurts!)
Finish ponytail extension for wig

Finished the boots yesterday. I'm not 100% happy with them, mostly because I had to glue the patches on and if you get close you can see the raised edges. But other than that, they look pretty good! Well, and some mistakes I made on the back of one of the cuffs... -.-; Eventually, I will redo them again.

I'm going to try and get the embroidery and the dress done today, once I get back from the dentist. I'm not sure I'll make it though, as my head feels quite like it's going to explode from pain. -.-;;;

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%
(Have the fabric, patterns and ears.)

Opera Celes: 45%
(The base dress is mostly put together. Detailing the bodice and patterning the overlay detail.)
Terra~Esper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #1720
Divine Dragon
HYDRO STORM!

The Kefka figure is part of the Final Fantasy Master Creatures.
- Kuja (Final Fantasy IX): restarting soon
- Locke Cole (Final Fantasy VI - Amano version): 70% completed
- Bartz Klauser (Final Fantasy V/ Dissidia): 100% completed
- Rum Tum Tugger (Cats): 30% completed
- Amon (Legend of Korra): 100% completed
Divine Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #1721
Seifer-sama

@ MDA: That's true. I probably will paint her, I just have to see if I have the right paint. :P

@ FinalEvangelion:

Cecil Armor: Oh yeah that would work perfectly, I think to bring out the subtle designs you would just use the paint. Those designs don't look as raised as a lot of the other designs he has so that makes a lot of sense. I think the foam on the outside should work for everything else. Your progress looks great so far. I can't wait to see this one come together!

Applique / Fabric: Actually using a dark gold/brown would probably look pretty cool for the applique. The boarder is already there, so it would be fitting. I am glad that you have a few fabric places near you. That certainly makes things easier.

Terra Figurine: Oh yeah her crown you would have to be careful not to paint. And if he wants to that would be very kind of him.

Ha! You are the same as me. I am originally from the Bay Area, but for most of my life I have lived in smaller towns. I am just not a crowd/traffic person. I like seeing greenery too... Cities are just gross to me. I would say the only plus is convenience.

Shadow: I am going to try and work on him this next month. I don't really think it will take that long. He actually has the more difficult pieces (the armor and weapons). But I would like to get him those pieces as soon as I can.

Cons: Sorry you aren't able to go to Anime Oasis... That's a bummer. As for Aki-Con we will have to see. I am interested though. And thanks for the website. As for Fanime, I think I have everything finished now... so we will just have to see when I get there if anything IS actually finished. Ha!

Cosplay Video: Oh that's awesome! I did see this one actually! I never knew that was you guys! You look great!! While at Fanime last year I did get the chance to talk to Acksonl a little bit and he said that though he loved his camera, that harness he has to wear cuts into his skin pretty bad. All art comes with a price I guess....

@ Terra~Esper: Yays for progress!!! I think at this point you should just get everything done that you can and save the little fixes for after. I am sure everything will look great once you get it all together though! I can't wait to see your dress! Sorry to hear about your head pain, hopefully the dentist can fix whatever is the problem.

@ Divine Dragon: He's a creature?? That seems silly. Totally off topic, but I see you are making Amon from Korra... just curious but where do you plan on wearing that?

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%

Planned Projects:
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Unread 05-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #1722
Divine Dragon
HYDRO STORM!

Kefka's a Creature because the other toys in that line are Summons and junk.

If I can finish Amon soon enough, I will wear it to Metrocon. If not, then Supercon.
Unread 05-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #1723
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

*falls over*

Ok. Ready for Cali. Texas heat is killing me. That was the fastest I have ever washed my car.

@Terra: Progress!!! We're rooting for you. ^^

@Final: Glad to see that you're working again. Hopefully this round of armor will be smoother then the last. I need to get myself into that field eventually...bah. So scary! lol

@Seifer: If I don't catch you Friday, I'll see you Saturday! It is going to be awesome, super funtime! lol

@Divine: That particular one is weird. It was listed as both a Creature and normal PlayArts figure on the website for a while. But if you look now it's a Creature. So weird.

And nice choice on Amon. You'll do that character proud!
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #1724
Divine Dragon
HYDRO STORM!

Steve Blum is going to be a guest at my friend's convention (Shadocon) in November. And with the election so close to the con date, it'd be a perfect place to wear Amon. Equalist Party 2012!

I'm working on my 3rd mask since my first 2 were failed papercraft experiments. Right now, I'm trying to find high quality pics of Amon's legs so I can figure out what kind of shoes he wears.
Unread 05-28-2012, 04:54 AM   #1725
FinalEVA
BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!

@Seifer and tifaia - How was Fanime this year? Was the weather good? How were the gatherings? Were the protesters there again? (Can't be a true Fanime without them, right?)

@Terra - Good to hear it's coming together before Akon. Hope to see some pics soon.

@Divine - Good luck on the Amon cosplay. Sounds like it will be cool.

@Seifer -

Armor: Thanks alot! I put some Bondo on the seams between the chest piece and the armor itself and also in some of the not so smooth areas. I've learned that Bondo flexes much better than I originally thought without cracking. That's good to know.

Fabric: Thought of another question. What length did you use as a proportion to your height for the Terra cape? I need to figure out how much of the blue fabric I will need. Going to need that plus what I will applique on the inner scarf. I do have plenty of brown thread from my Duke costume, so I will use that for the applique border.

Terra Figurine: This coming week, I'll see if he can paint mine. I'm sure he would have no problem doing yours if he can do mine. All depends on if he is comfortable painting around the crown.

Bay Area: My mom grew up there and my grandmother lived there for a long time, so I visited that area quite a bit. She lived in Burlingame to be exact. It's a pretty nice area, though. There is alot of green in the part of the Seattle area I live, but the traffic isn't so nice. It's pretty congested all times of the work day, unfortunately.

Shadow: I'm sure he would appreciated, but you definitely don't need to feel rushed or anything. He really likes doing the weapons and armor, so that is probably fine. We'll probably have a few days where he will work on that and I will work on Cecil together.

Cons: I sent my camera with him and I guess he got 700 pics so far. I'll be looking at them tomorrow and posting them on Flickr. I was really wanting to be at a con this weekend instead of my job. I guess that's part of life, though.

Cosplay video: I could imagine you would either have to wear thick clothing or heat up and get a few cuts. Do you know if you got featured in any videos this time around? There will probably be a few that I need to watch from the various people at Fanime. I guess Acksonl decided to go there instead of Anime North this year.

Cosplay progress: Working on the Bondo to integrate the chest piece into the body armor. Will be working as much as I can, but I'm also under the gun to find another job / career that will pay more to cover living expenses and student loans. Going to be a lot of pressure to do that in the next few months.

Planned:

Dart Dragoon Form (LoD)
Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)