Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #481
Liliana
Palamecia's Hyper Emperor

Wow! I missed a lot here while I was away from this thread! O___o *throws luggage everywhere* Well I'm back.. =P

Soooooooo.... to those that remember the sort-of-near-death with my emperor cosplay, a bit of light is shining now. But I'm still unsure. UNSURE. REALLY UNSURE. ... >__< I upgraded my horns, the very same horns I had before but smoothed them out and repainted them a different color.. It's like a darker gold than the yellow gold I had before, I don't know about it. The reason why I went to a darker gold was because I thought that the color they were before blended too much into my wig - ESPECIALLY the little horns at the top of my head. And I did a lot of work on my previous armor too but... I'm just worried if they will hold up in the end after all this. (no happy icon yet Seifer chan, teehee *nudge nudge* XDDDD

@Terra: CONGRATS ON GETTING A HOUSE!!! That's such wonderful news! I literally applauded for you when I read that, you two must be so excited!!

@FinalEvangelion: WHAT? Japan?! @o@

Last edited by Liliana : 03-09-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Liliana is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #482
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

@Final: Congrats on the move, but why so far!? We'll never see you again!!! -cry-

@Lil: Quit doubting yourself. Your skills are way too awesome to worry about stuff like that. Send pictures. I'm sure they look great.

@Seifer: Thanks. ^^

@Final: I'm sorry about all the bad stuff happening lately. I'm sure it'll turn around soon. But your kitchen? Seriously? Mine's way to small lately for stuff like that. I had to use my balcony for everything outside and no power tools at all. ^^;;;

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%
(Have the fabric, patterns and ears.)

Opera Celes: 45%
(The base dress is mostly put together. Detailing the bodice and patterning the overlay detail.)
Terra~Esper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #483
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

@Lil: You're too hard on yourself. You do fantastic work. So post up more pictures asap!

@Final: Montana or Japan. Seems like two extremes. lol At least we have conventions over the summer to hang out and take some epic photos before you move away. XD Whatever you pick, hopefully it all works out for you. ^^ And a kitchen to craft? Lucky. I have about a 9x4 foot of space of floor for sewing, cutting, painting, dyeing...well anything crafty related. Which is probably why it takes me twice as long to finish something. Have to wait on paint to dry before I can move on to the next task. lol

@Terra: Good luck with moving! I've moved...basically my whole life. lol But I know the excitement of going from an apartment to a home. Loads of luck coming your way. ^^ And bribe friends with booze to help you move. That doesn't hurt either. After they move the boxes. Not before/during. >.>

Dah! 012 coming out soon. >_< Anyone else pick up their PSP again to play Dissida recently? I feel so rusty with the combat. XD
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #484
Seifer-sama

@ Final Evangelion: Wow... oh the choices. Montana... Japan... Montana... Japan... I went to Japan once and thought it was really pretty... but I stick out like a sore thumb there. So for someone as shy as me, I would probably never live in Japan.

@ Liliana: Do you have a new and old picture of the horns so I can see the difference? In my opinion it might not be such a bad idea to have them stand out from the wig, I mean after all, you put so much effort into them. Perhaps one day soon, in the near future we will see a happy icon huh?

@ Tifaia: Wow you living situation sounds much like mine. I had the toughest time trying to find a space large enough to cut the pieces for my Edgar cape. I chose the floor which was a bad idea because my kitty decided that the fabric was her new toy. EEK!

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%
Charlotte Elbourne - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 20%
Meier Link - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 10%
A-ko - Project A-ko - 80%
Minwu - Final Fantasy II - 20%

Planned Projects:
Mia Fey - Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Sorceress Edea - Final Fantasy VIII
Beatrix - Final Fantasy IX
Sailor Moon / Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon (Someday!!)
Seifer-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #485
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

@Seifer: I know what you mean. I've put a ban on my dogs from entering the room. It was a nightmare trying to get CoD's cape cut out and sewn on the floor. XD Not to mention the loads of wires blocking the path. >.> I need to find a bigger area to work. lol
Unread 03-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #486
FinalEVA
BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!

I should probably explain the Japan / Montana thing a little better, lol. I am applying for the JET program (the same thing Kiratsukai is doing). If I do make it in, then I will be going September 2012 over there. I did my undergrad in Montana and studied abroad in Japan for six months. I really enjoyed my time there, so I have been wanting to go back for a while. Best six months of my life. I will be going to Montana from Jan. 2012 to Sep. 2012 because I know a place I can work while waiting and also because a lot of my friends from college are there as well.

I may be around to visit some Texas cons. My parents still live here in San Antonio.

I wish I had opted for a unit here with a balcony for all my prop work. It would have been much more convenient. I could move, but I'm not sure I want to go through all of that for less than a year. Right now, I'm using my dining room area for my sewing and my kitchen is just for wood work or to let stuff dry. It would be nice to have an extra room for all of that stuff.

Speaking of pets and dogs, it looks like I may be getting a new puppy in the next couple of months (a Japanese Spitz)! Here is what they look like...

(This isn't my dog, just a picture of the breed)

Since this is a cosplay thread (before I go off topic too much), I must say I have fallen in love using Epoxy fiberglass resin. It's the stuff that used on boats and also on bar counter tops, and it's much less toxic than polyester resin (the stuff you get from auto stores that require masks and stuff). I used it on my Cecil pauldrons and seeing some really nice results. It also works directly on foam where as polyester resin eats through it.

Pen Pen (Evangelion) - 10%
Duke Pantarei (Tales of Vesperia) - 95% - wig needs restyling.
Cecil Harvey (FF Dissidia) - 10%

Planned:

Emperor Gestahl (Final Fantasy VI)
Rakushun Rat form (Twelve Kingdoms)
Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles)
Link Zora Armor (LoZ: Twilight Princess)

Desired, but not confirmed:

Dart Dragoon Form (LoD)
Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

PM me for free photoshoot in Seattle area.
My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/finalevacosplay/
FinalEVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 07:08 PM   #487
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

@Seifer: Sorry to keep bugging you hun, but how did you layer your ponytail??? It's still the best example I've seen, and I'm actually rdy to style this crazy thing!!!

@Final: Sounds... fun? I guess. Japan should be at least! Bring us presents!!! ^^ That's a pretty doggie too. ^^

@Tifa: I feel your pain on the capes. Those are the bane of my existence right now. There's just NOT enough space. Hopefully it'll be easier once I move. ^^;;;

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%

(The base dress is mostly put together. Detailing the bodice and patterning the overlay detail.)
Unread 03-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #488
Seifer-sama

@ Tifaia: I can see how dogs would be a real problem. I don't have enough room in my house for my two cats, so dogs are out of the question. Plus I live next to a logging mill and the truckers drive crazy fast on this road, so all around not a pet friendly place. I would really love a room just dedicated to my sewing and craft supplies. It would be so useful and I wouldn't have to drag every material from the back of the house to the front to work on it, just to put it all back in the back of the house once finished. New house please!!!

@ Final Evangelion: Okay now the Montana and Japan thing makes way more sense. Thanks for the explanation. I had a friend who taught English in Japan for a year and a half. She really loved it. Is that what you would be doing in Japan? I remember hearing from her once that Japan doesn't really like foreigners living over there unless they have a purpose, ie, teaching English. But that may have just been her opinion. Cute dog by the way. If you do end up getting one send a picture! I love fluffy animals.

I have yet to try fiberglass resin. I hear a lot of armor building cosplayers say they really like it. How do you work with it anyway? I know next to nothing about resin except for making gems out of the resin molds. :P

@ Terra~Esper: No trouble at all, ask away. As far as layering the ponytail... I just sort of winged it. I would take a section of hair and curl it and then trim it to the length I wanted and then just did the same all around the wig. I tried to keep the shorter pieces next to the tie and near the top and then have the hair get progressively longer near the back. Erm... I hope that made sense.

Terra costume update: Well not really, not much finished, but I have started embroidering the bottom halves of both gloves. This shouldn't take too long because most of the embroider is on the top. Uhg but then it's time for the dreadful boots and the horrifying cape. :P

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%

Planned Projects:
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Unread 03-12-2011, 09:51 PM   #489
FinalEVA
BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seifer-sama View Post

@ Final Evangelion: Okay now the Montana and Japan thing makes way more sense. Thanks for the explanation. I had a friend who taught English in Japan for a year and a half. She really loved it. Is that what you would be doing in Japan? I remember hearing from her once that Japan doesn't really like foreigners living over there unless they have a purpose, ie, teaching English. But that may have just been her opinion. Cute dog by the way. If you do end up getting one send a picture! I love fluffy animals.
Yep. That's what I'm planning on doing in Japan. On the foreigner thing, I know some people have had some bad experiences about it. Personally, I never had any negative experiences while I was living there. I think also the area I lived - Kyushuu (the southwest island of Japan) - was much more accepting of foreigners that other parts. People were always very friendly to me. The only awkward experience I had as a foreigner was when one of my friends took me to the anime club on campus and many didn't know how to react. I guess they thought they needed to know English better.

On the topic of fiberglass, it isn't so bad as many people think. You have to get the resin (comes in thin or thick viscosity) and hardener. You mix the hardener at the ratio that is labeled on the hardener. For instance, it will say 4:1 - meaning if you would mix 4 oz. of resin to 1 oz of hardener. The hardeners come in varying selection based on what you want the cure time / dry time to be.

After mixing the hardener and resin really well in a container, I use a paint brush (that I plan to dispose of once done since it will be ruined) to apply the resin on the surface of what ever I'm working on. You can use fiberglass cloth, but for me it seems to do well without it on my applications. After that, I let it sit overnight and let it dry. The next day, it forms a nice transparent plasticy shell. It makes a nice more metallic looking surface and also helps ensure that props can survive the harsh travel and con environment.

The place where I get my resin is on this website - http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

It looks like the embroidering is going pretty well on your Terra? I wonder if I should attempt that when I start work on my Emperor Gestahl cosplay after Fanime / Akon. That would probably take a little too long, though.

Pen Pen (Evangelion) - 10%
Duke Pantarei (Tales of Vesperia) - 95% - wig needs restyling.
Cecil Harvey (FF Dissidia) - 10%

Planned:

Emperor Gestahl (Final Fantasy VI)
Rakushun Rat form (Twelve Kingdoms)
Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles)
Link Zora Armor (LoZ: Twilight Princess)

Desired, but not confirmed:

Dart Dragoon Form (LoD)
Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

PM me for free photoshoot in Seattle area.
My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/finalevacosplay/
FinalEVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #490
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

@Final: Embroidery is a fantastic effect and I love it to bits. But god is it unappreciated. lol Embroidery needs more love! That stuff is hard work! >_< And good tips on the fiberglass. ^^ I'll have to keep that in mind down the road.

@Terra: You'll have to come to A-Kon for good now. >.> BTW, holding a Dissida shoot for Saturday morning at 10:30 am. Hopefully you can make it. ^^ But after that, CoD is going back into hiding. Too much skin exposure for one weekend. lol
Unread 03-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #491
Seifer-sama

@ Final Evangleion: I am glad you didn't have any bad experiences while you were in Japan. I only went for two weeks, so I don't think that was long enough to really get a feel for how I was being treated. Everyone was nice to me that I could tell, but I was just so jazzed about being in Japan that they could have treated me poorly and I wouldn't have cared. I know they really seemed to appreciate that I took some time to at least learn a little Japanese.

Fiberglass sounds pretty neat so far! Perhaps I will have to try it. would you say it's cheaper than wonderflex? I usually get some pretty good results with wonderflex but it is expensive and can sometimes be time consuming.

Thank you for the compliment about my embroidery!

@ Final Evangelion & Tifaia: I agree, embroidery is wonderful, but it is unappreciated. It takes a lot of time and depending on the technique, a lot of skill as well. I am still only working with a variant of the satin stitch...

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%

Planned Projects:
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Unread 03-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #492
~~xXEl3KtRaXx~~
Innocent ignorance

Ffff spent the weekend painting on the resin to the clay sculpt... This morning I started taking out the clay so I can add a few layers on the inside and start sprinkling and working in the fiberglass... I can smell resin everywhere now
~~xXEl3KtRaXx~~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #493
Liliana

Ok guys you asked, horn/wig picture: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2872297/
What it looked before: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2573256/
Even really before: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2445679/

I really like how my horns are MUCH better shaped and smoothed, but I'm not 100% sure on the new darker gold colour. In some darker lighting, it almost looks more bronze or brown rather than gold... I hope it looks ok?

@El3KtRa: I saw a pic of your Terra boot, I never thought of using clay for making toes! It looks good.

@FinalEvangelion: Cute doggie!!! :O

Last edited by Liliana : 03-13-2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: typos - I Kant spall anething
Unread 03-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #494
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

@Lil: My official opinion: DON'T CHANGE A THING!!!! It looks incredible, and the contrast with the darker color is a GOOD THING! So stop worrying so much, alright? You'll give yourself migraines with so much stress. Trust me. I speak from experience. They're incredible.

@El3ktra: I never thought about using clay either. I just made boot covers. They look pretty good though. Keep up the good work.

@Tifa: I will do my best to be on time. It depends on what time we leave here. (It's a 3 hour trip for me) But I WILL be there. If I end up running a little late, please don't lynch me!!!!

@Final: Thanks for the explanation on the resin stuff. I'll have to make Lina and Edgar's pauldrons eventually, and I was wondering how to get it to look good... ^^

Sadly, I don't have much progress to report on my wig. I got the bottom layer trimmed, but it ended up being a bit shorter than I wanted, thanks to a mishap with the curling iron. -headdesk- I really haven't gotten up the energy to work on it since. I'm trying though...

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%

Unread 03-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #495
Liliana

@Terra: I am my worst critic no doubt. >///< But thanks, maybe I'm just not used to seeing my horns this new colour, cause it IS very different from before... But I am mighty happy how smooth it is now, that I can't complain about.
Oh no! The wig?! It shouldn't be too much shorter is it? When you used the curling iron, did it get too hot and made the fiber frizzy/melty? Sometimes if that happens, you can still fix it - if you have a straightening iron you can sometimes straighten out the mess using it on a low heat again.