Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #931
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

Tifa: I know what you mean. My husband and I live in a rent house and our lease is to my home church. I'm just lucky that my Daddy is in charge of repairs for us and the church, and is friends with the AC repair man they use. ^.^

I can't wait to see your Lilith! It's going to be gorgeous I bet. ^.~

@Lil: RIT has a big line of dyes and they carry a color remover to strip fabrics. I don't know how well it works, but I have some on hand in case I ever need it. The dyes suggest using it if the base fabric is too bright or dark for the dye to work. And from my own experiments, gradients aren't hard, they just require a steady hand and a bit of patience.

As for the hot glue, BE CAREFUL. That stuff will melt your wig really quick if it gets on the fiber. It's a good plan, but take your time and section off the fibers out of your way so you don't have any accidents.

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%
(Have the fabric, patterns and ears.)

Opera Celes: 45%
(The base dress is mostly put together. Detailing the bodice and patterning the overlay detail.)
Terra~Esper is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #932
Seifer-sama

@ Terra~Esper: Well i am so glad that everything worked out for you, the dyeing and the armor I sent you. I hope you guys can come up with a better setup. I probably should have put more thought into it than I did, but I guess it doesn't really matter now. If you guys come up with a great idea let me know, it might be good to know for possible future projects.

@ Thanks for the extra information on RIT dyes, I haven't ha the time to try them out yet, so all of my information about it has been others' opinions. I can see how it could work very well in a pinch.

Wow, Lady Lilith is cool looking!! What is she from? It does look like you will be doing a very similar dye job to the Edea costume I want to do. I am hoping within the next few months here I will be able to order some PolyDye so I can see how well it works. I will certainly let you know what I think if you need a second opinion on it.

@ Liliana: So it sounds like sewing the horns helped... but maybe not enough huh? I have used hot glue on wigs before, I actually used it on my huge Rapunzel wig. You will have to be careful, hot glue is not very friendly with wigs. It didn't melt the fibers, but it sticks to everything an has the potential to mess everything up.

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%
Charlotte Elbourne - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 20%
Meier Link - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 10%
A-ko - Project A-ko - 80%
Minwu - Final Fantasy II - 20%

Planned Projects:
Mia Fey - Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Sorceress Edea - Final Fantasy VIII
Beatrix - Final Fantasy IX
Sailor Moon / Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon (Someday!!)
Seifer-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #933
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

@Seifer: Will do! We've gotta get parts and figure out the set up, but as soon as we have something that works, I'll send you a mat list and set-up drawings.

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%

(The base dress is mostly put together. Detailing the bodice and patterning the overlay detail.)
Unread 07-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #934
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

@Liliana: Have you added a band inside the wig (fabric, craft foam, plastic, whatnot) to attach the horns that you've sewn on? I'm wondering if they're causing issues because the weight isn't being properly distributed. Instead the wig mesh is bearing the weight.

What I've done recently is glued felt to the bottom of the horn. Then I took another piece of felt and sewed it inside the wig. After which I attached the horn by sewing the 2 pieces of felt (the one inside the wig and the one on the horn) together, letting the hair fall around the horn. Basically something like this:

Fabric || Wig Mesh || Fabric || Horn

The sturdier the fabric the better. I can post a picture as soon as I get my normal computer back from the depths of hell if you need an example. XD Not sure if this is what you were trying to achieve, but just a thought!

@Seifer: That is Lady Lilith from FF11, who I love to bits. Bad guys are always so awesome in the FF universe. lol She's connected to Lilisette, who I've cosplayed before. I have this awesome idea in my head for a photo so I want to make it happen. >.> But yeah, if you beat me to the PolyDye let me know how it turned out. I'm confident that it'll work, but hearing other opinions always helps. ^^

I'm abusing my phone today for forum surfing. It's taking forever for things to dry...funny considering it's been 100 degrees plus all day. >.> But my new harness system is almost complete. Om and Nom are in the process of getting their makeovers.
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #935
Seifer-sama

@ Terra~Esper: I am sure you will figure it out! I wish you luck in any case. Please send pictures too when you get everything together.

@ Tifaia: I haven't played on FF11, but wow she is a cool looking character. I can't wait to see you do this costume. I will certainly let you know how the dye goes. I too am pretty sure it will work just fine. That's what it's supposed to do after all.

@ Anyone: Okay so I think I found the fabric I will be using for Edea. I did some searching through my bins and found a lovely ivory Dutchess satin, so I think that will be what I make my dress out of. It helps my pocketbook, since I won't have to buy anything for the dress. I will still have to buy the dye and test the fabric to make sure it dyes well enough, but at least I have a plan.

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%

Planned Projects:
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Unread 07-22-2011, 10:33 PM   #936
FinalEVA
BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!

Checking into this thread. Been a long time since I posted. School has been really hectic lately, so I've been having very little time. I'll be glad when I graduate in December.

@Seifer - Rapunzel sounds like a cool idea. I actually just watched that movie recently. So how long is your wig going to actually be? I suppose going full actual length may not be too practical.

@Terra - I'm glad the AC got fixed quickly. Texas and no AC is not a fun experience. I've been in that boat before too. Miserable experience. Hopefully I will get to see your Lina costume sometime too. Slayers is one of my favs.

@Tifaia - Lady Lilith looks awesome. I guess it's going to have some wings too. Do most people use harnesses when doing heavier wings like that? At some point, I want to do Dart from Legend of Dragoon in his Dragoon form.

@Liliana - Awesome Terra costume by the way. Good luck with Emperor upgrades. I'll be doing some Cecil upgrades (more like redo) when I have more time (and money). I'm doing his after years version, though. This time, I'm going to try to attach the armor with straps and see if that works better.

@Everyone - So I've been working on my Zidane costume when I have time. Had a little frustration with my vest trying to make everything line up perfectly (used the seam ripper a bit). Maybe some of you have some ideas. I do have one thing I've been trying to make Zidane's belt look more accurate at the edge. Here is the illustration - http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy..._character.jpg

I've been contemplating how I could get the belt to look more like that with the slightly different color and raised edge.

Pen Pen (Evangelion) - 10%
Duke Pantarei (Tales of Vesperia) - 95% - wig needs restyling.
Cecil Harvey (FF Dissidia) - 10%

Planned:

Emperor Gestahl (Final Fantasy VI)
Rakushun Rat form (Twelve Kingdoms)
Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles)
Link Zora Armor (LoZ: Twilight Princess)

Desired, but not confirmed:

Dart Dragoon Form (LoD)
Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

PM me for free photoshoot in Seattle area.
My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/finalevacosplay/
FinalEVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 10:49 PM   #937
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

@Seifer: -grin- Between my husband and my daddy, I'll get it together in no time. Just gotta get parts. Maybe we'll do that tomorrow....

Oooooooohhhhhh! Satin! Can't wait to see!!!

@Final: Lina's actually coming together really nicely. I should be done sometime really soon, maybe another week? I've never done vests, but what is your belt made of?

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%

Last edited by Terra~Esper : 07-22-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Unread 07-23-2011, 01:13 AM   #938
Divine Dragon
HYDRO STORM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalEvangelion View Post
@Tifaia - Lady Lilith looks awesome. I guess it's going to have some wings too. Do most people use harnesses when doing heavier wings like that? At some point, I want to do Dart from Legend of Dragoon in his Dragoon form.
You're not the only one. That's been my dream costume since the game came out, before I even knew what cosplay was. I kind of want to make his human form first, for practice.
- Kuja (Final Fantasy IX): restarting soon
- Locke Cole (Final Fantasy VI - Amano version): 70% completed
- Bartz Klauser (Final Fantasy V/ Dissidia): 100% completed
- Rum Tum Tugger (Cats): 30% completed
- Amon (Legend of Korra): 100% completed
Divine Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2011, 02:11 PM   #939
Lady Muramasa
The Angry Cosplayer

@Liliana
When I was at Anime Expo, I saw this chick who had horns attached to her wig. I got close to see how she did it, and it looked like the horns were glued onto craft foam, and the craft foam was either glued to something else under the wig or maybe another piece of craft foam was under the wig??? I'm still working on attaching my horns for Emperor as well, but I'm finishing another costume.

Lol, so I ran out of interfacing ran back up to Joann's to get more didn't pay attention and bought a whole roll of HeatnBond. =( Go Me! Lol, I'm sure I can use it for something, maybe for a cape to hold the different fabrics together.
Lady Muramasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 04:33 AM   #940
FinalEVA
BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!

@Terra - It's made out of vinyl fake leather material (I think) with flannel backing. I hope that helps?

Planned:

Dart Dragoon Form (LoD)
Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Unread 07-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #941
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

@Final: Well, if you're still looking for a way to do edging, I've got one of two ways for you.

#1: Raised fabric paint. It's a pain to keep your hand steady, and it'll take a while, but if you do it well, it'll look pretty good.

#2: Bias tape. ^.^ I swear by the stuff. If you want to make it raised, you can put something in it as you sew to make it poof a little bit.

I tend to favor bias tape for big projects like that, because I can't keep my hand steady for long periods of time. It hope this helps a little.

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%

Unread 07-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #942
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

@Final: Yeah, I'd definitely have to do a harness for those. I can't imagine attaching them to my arms without causing numerous headaches. I tend to speak with my hands/arms as is. Oh lord...that would be funny. Talking to someone while the wings moved, and they smack into other people. XD

For the belt, I'd go with Terra's suggestion and use bias tape or fabric paint. If you use Tulip Puffy Paint, it'll work on that particular material. It puffs up as it drys to give a "raised" look.

@Lady: Whoops. XD Well I don't blame you for the mistake. Some of the interfacing I've seen looks and feels exactly like HeatnBond. But at least you've got plenty for future projects. /comfort

@All: Upgrade complete. Might add another coat of black paint to the mouths, but they're done. http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3001369/ Harness system is working. Now to sit and wait on fabric for the next project. Good god I'm so bored......................lol
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #943
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

@Tifa: Om and Nom look awesome! Keep up the good work!!

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%

Unread 07-25-2011, 01:19 AM   #944
FinalEVA
BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!

@Terra and Tifaia - Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will probably go for the paint idea even if it is more difficult. I'm not sure how the bias tape would look since bias tape is usually cloth.

@tifaia - nice upgrades to Nom and Om.

Planned:

Dart Dragoon Form (LoD)
Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Unread 07-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #945
Seifer-sama

@ FinalEvangelion: I actually have some shots of my wig if you are interested.

Full shot: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...a/IMG_1091.jpg (My kitty decided she wanted to be in the photo too.)
Side shot: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...a/IMG_1097.jpg

The wig is about as tall as I am, 5'6". I am also working on getting all the flowers for it... but it's been quite a challenge. I guess all the craft stores are already getting rid of all their summer things an moving right into Fall. I could have sworn it was still summer. :P As for the help with your vest... I know everyone else as already had suggestions, but what you might be able to do too is find a thicker material in that color and fold it to give it a clean edge and top stitch it onto the vest. It's how I did the trim for my Sheik an Terra. It's a real pain though because the fabric (even when pinned) sometimes slips. Also too, you could always look for those leather strips/lacing, I guess they are used for thick beads, but I have seen a bunch of colors at Joanns (and on eBay. Ex: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MEWAX:IT). This sort of trim could probably just be glued around the vest and belts. As for Legend of Dragoon, I have ALWAYS wanted to do Rose in her Dragoon form. Maybe you, Divine Dragon, and I can start a group. :P

@ Terra~Esper: I think satin might look very nice. I will have to test it first though, because it is ivory and not white... but I am not too worried, especially since the main color of the dress is black. I will have to be careful though and make sure I have enough elbow bending room, otherwise I will have the same issue I had with my old Zelda gloves (no blood circulation = bad!)

@ Lady Muramasa: Maybe you should start a big applique project so you can use up that Heat N Bond. I almost always have it on hand and then very quickly go through it. :P

@ Tifaia: Om and Nom look great. I can't help but say it, they just look so cute! What is up next for you?

@ Everyone: Nothing new to report here. I have just been working on Rapunzel and trying to get started on Vaati and Byrne. I think after that I should be able to start Edea and Seifer.

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%

Planned Projects:
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV