Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #1081
Wenora
The Musical Mage

@ Liliana
Exdeath's helmet reminds me of this kind of helmet http://www.swordsandarmor.com/images...ght_Helmet.JPG
Just not pinching the bottom part of the neck too keep the fluted look of the helm and extending out the 'collar' part. What material are you using (other than the foam)?

I salute you for tackling this costume.

Last edited by Wenora : 08-24-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Wenora is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #1082
Liliana
Palamecia's Hyper Emperor

@Wenora: Hehe, that helmet is a bit similar to Exdeaths~ ^^ Thanks for the pic! Oh, and I'm using cardboard as the base, as it is sturdy.
Liliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #1083
Wenora
The Musical Mage

@Liliana
Awesome! It's cool that you're using cardboard as I don't do well using those.
Glad to have found a high quality picture that it's easy to see where they have each part attached.
Good luck with the costume, and I'll be looking forward to seeing it and bugging you for a pic. :P
Wenora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #1084
Liliana

@Wenora: Yes! Thanks! That just leaves me with the shoulders to worry about. Haha!

I've quickly made a rough body for exdeath instead of the shoulders this morning. I'm thinking I'll build everything on to that. I stuck the helmet on top of it, but now the body part looks crazy small. -__-; And too flat... Exdeath's torso is more round... *thinking how to fix this problem* :S
Unread 08-24-2011, 04:10 PM   #1085
Seifer-sama

@ Terra~Esper: Okay so since I know heat isn't an issue, I think it must be a catalyst issue. Now if you are using a similar resin to my own, you are supposed to throw in a certain number of drops of catalyst depending on how deep your mold is right? So what I usually do is take one of my molds, say the big gems I used for Lina's pauldrons, I place a measuring tape right along the side (from the bottom to the top lip of the resin mold) and that should give you a measurement of how deep your resin mold is. I think that specific one is 2 inches. So then you would look at your resin containier and mix in however many catalyst drops are required for 2 inches. Also too, make sure you have your dye in first before the catalyst. Then once the catalyst goes in, stir for 60 seconds and you should be good!

I hope that will help you with your issues. Good luck on the secret cosplay, I am excited to see what it is!!

@ Lilliana: Financial issues always love to spoil a good time don't they? You can't go on shopping sprees to cheer yourself up when you have financial issues. :P In any case, I told myself that as soon as I get my paycheck this week I am going to buy the fabric I need for Edea and start working on her early to cheer me up.

What a cosplay list you have! I look forward to seeing them all! Oh and for Exdeath's helmet, I was going to suggest you follow along that design around the neck and separate the helmet from the armor there. That's kinda of what I did for my Zant armor and I thought it might work for you, but I think after seeing the suggestion Wenora gave about the knight's helm, that might be a better way to go.

@ Tifaia: I know someone who really struggled with resin and so she switched over to using the gel candle making stuff. It looks exactly like resin, but it's not toxic, and she said it was easier to use.

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%
Charlotte Elbourne - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 20%
Meier Link - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 10%
A-ko - Project A-ko - 80%
Minwu - Final Fantasy II - 20%

Planned Projects:
Mia Fey - Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Sorceress Edea - Final Fantasy VIII
Beatrix - Final Fantasy IX
Sailor Moon / Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon (Someday!!)
Seifer-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #1086
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

@Lil: The wig looks pretty accurate, but that's a lot of hair to try and manage! Do be careful and good luck with Exdeath. I'm like NO help there.

@Seifer: Hold on, slow down. Catalyst?? WTH? I have resin, I have hardener, and it's supposed to be in a 1 to 1 ratio. -headdesk- I think I'm just having mix problems, but that doesn't solve my irritation. Haven't made it to the craft store yet to get new molds either... -sigh-

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%
(Have the fabric, patterns and ears.)

Opera Celes: 45%
(The base dress is mostly put together. Detailing the bodice and patterning the overlay detail.)
Terra~Esper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #1087
Liliana

@Seifer: They sure do indeed... Well that'll give you something to look forward to when you get your paycheck at least... ^^; And then it's Edea cosplay time!~ Yay!
Haha thank you, i'm trying my best with this Exdeath cosplay. It's really putting my cosplay skills to the test that I've learnt in these two years. X__X; I really hope I can make it! Actually, FINISH it! xD

@Terra: Thank youss! ^^ And I'll be careful indeed!

Small Exdeath update: I've made the base of the shoulders now. So now I have to attach both the shoulders and helmet to the torso part. WISH ME LUCK. X_X This ain't easy as it sounds. And, I'm running super low on quack tape. ....duck tape. ...duct tape...? 8P PFFFFFFT~
Unread 08-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #1088
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

@Seifer: Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to keep that in mind next time I need it. ^^

@Terra: /comfort You'll get it. I know you will. If cosplay were easy, none of us would be doing it. >.>

@Liliana: Not only do you have a large list but you are a fast worker, lady. I wouldn't be surprised to see Exdeath done in a week. lol
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #1089
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

@Lil: Holy cow, you work fast!!! O.O

@Tifa: Thanks. I'm hoping my next batch will come out correctly (as soon as I get my molds...) because I don't have much left! ^^;;;

Countdown to AFEST: 8 days. AHHHHHH!

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%

(The base dress is mostly put together. Detailing the bodice and patterning the overlay detail.)
Unread 08-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #1090
Liliana

@Terra & Tifaia: Haha thanks... xD Though I don't think i can speed through exdeath like some of my other costumes I've made in a few days, I think he's gonna take at least 3 months... Oo If not more...

I'll get a picture of my Exdeath progress ASAP once I've got the base of the top part made. I kinda fell behind in the making of him last night due to a pretty scary storm in our area (no I'm not making an excuse. <_<) So I spend a lot of time last night hiding in the basement in fear rather than happily making a cool cosplay. LOL. xD (We had tornado alerts in our area, which is really rare up here where I live) OH MAN IT WAS SCARY! but everything is fine, the tornado didn't touch down... Thank goodness. (unless it touched down in another town that I'm not aware of *didn't check the news yet this morning*) xD
Unread 08-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #1091
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

@Lil: Oh sweetie! -huggles- I keep forgetting that northerners aren't used to big storms like that like I am. Being in Texas, you have that kind of stuff all the time. I'm glad you're okay though! I gotta ask though: Did you make your Empy gloves?

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%

Unread 08-25-2011, 01:31 PM   #1092
Seifer-sama

@ Terra~Esper: I assumed since you were using resin for gems we were using the same stuff. http://whatishcc.com/tutorials/polyesterresin.php This is the resin I am using. By the way, the catalyst is the hardener. Resin would stay liquid if you didn't add in the catalyst. :P I guess if the stuff you are using continues to give you issues, you could try these ones too. Anyway, good luck, but I am sure you will get it right!

@ Liliana: Yeah Edea should be... fun? I think... not sure at this point. :P Anyway, I am pleased to hear you are moving so fast on this new cosplay! And I like quack tape, it's appropriate. Ha ha!

@ Tifaia: I will probably have to ask her exactly what it was, but yes, if you ever need to know, just ask and I will find out!

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%
Charlotte Elbourne - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 20%
Meier Link - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 10%
A-ko - Project A-ko - 80%
Minwu - Final Fantasy II - 20%

Planned Projects:
Mia Fey - Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Sorceress Edea - Final Fantasy VIII
Beatrix - Final Fantasy IX
Sailor Moon / Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon (Someday!!)
Seifer-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #1093
Lady Muramasa
The Angry Cosplayer

Yeah, earthquakes, tornadoes, fire.....and now lightning are not my favorite displays from nature lol. Well glad everything is okay. I remember book marking a page from Thailand that has picture of how they did Exdeath, Garland, and Gabranth from craft foam. I have so many bookmarks though.......it's going to take some anti flame trolling lol.
Lady Muramasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #1094
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

@Terra: XD Other then tornadoes, never had to worry about storms when I lived in Illinois. But since living in Texas, I've become use to everything. Storm siren goes off? Ok. *goes back to sewing* Tornado warning? *shove the dogs into the bathroom and keeps playing her DS* Earthquake? *stands in the doorway and plays PSP* It's like w/e. We know. We get it. Just do your business nature and we'll move on. lol

@Lady: Ohh. If you do find it please post it because now I'm curious.
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #1095
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

@tifa: I know right? Only thing that ever worries me is whether or not we remembered to unplug the computers. ^.^;;;;

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%