Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 02-17-2016, 04:11 PM   #1
ilafatyu
That guy

Crossplay in a bodysuit

I'm planning a Cat Noir cosplay for this fall (because I foresee many roadblocks). I've got some basics figured out, but I'm running into a few problems.

1) Body shape. I'm pretty short, skinny, with wide hips and tiny waist/shoulders. I'm planning to build a padded undersuit to even out my figure, but I'm afraid it would look weird, since my arms will still be the same distance from my spine even if I pad my lats and arm/shoulder muscles. Anyone done something similar? Also, on a scale of sweatshirt to oven, how toasty should I expect this to be?

2) Lack of pattern. Yaya Han has put out a few bodysuit patterns, including one for men, but the men's pattern is way bigger than me and the women's pattern is really, really feminine if you get what I'm saying. The padded suit won't fix that I'm half a foot shorter than the smallest pattern size of the mens. Is there another one out there for boys that I haven't found yet? Or should I just buy a premade suit online and alter what I can?

I don't know if I should put this in construction instead. Hm.

facebook page // nh cosplay events
Next event: Free Comic Book Day

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Actively constructing : Cloud, Zexion, Lie Ren
Back burner : Absol gijinka, Soren, Vaati
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-18-2016, 08:12 PM   #2
belligerent
Viking Metal

You might check the RPF forum (therpf.com) if you haven't already to see if there are any bodysuit patterns that will work. They have subforums for stuff like superhero comics and there has to be someone who can give you good direction there. I know they do spiderman suits there all the time, for example. Surely someone has done one for a younger/smaller dude that you could get to fit you.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, England, Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo, Prussia, Shintaro Midorima, Aragorn
Dudes I will be eventually: Guts, Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2016, 11:05 PM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I almost never post here, but I can help with finding a bodysuit pattern!
http://www.specialtysportswearpatter...resstards.html
And they have a HUGE range of sizes, since they size-to-order from toddler to adult (here's their sizing chart. You'll DEFINITELY find one to fit you. http://www.specialtysportswearpatter...nd-sizing.html ). And excellent instructions. I don't see any unitards for men in a brief look, but the woman/girl's ones aren't too crazy feminine so could certainly be altered a bit to work (you would just have to straighten the side seams to take away extra curves, and maybe blend the waist seam that the women's ones come with- intended for attaching a skirt for dresstards to- into the leggings for a seamless suit. I used a barely-altered one here for my Kusanagi cosplay and it worked very well, except for an oddly-baggy crotch area (I recommend a mockup to figure out if you want to fix it or not and by how much). http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3536716/ (suit alone laid out)
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3557014/ (The most show of it I could find. It was intended as a suit for under several items)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 02-18-2016 at 11:09 PM.
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote