Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 01-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
Necroexodia

Hyperdimension Neptunia Crossplay

Hey everyone,

Note: First of all, I'd like to apologise in advance if this is in the wrong section >w> Wasn't entirely sure if it's supposed to be posted here or in a different section. Please feel free to move it if necessary. Also, forgive me if any of this has been mentioned in another thread which I would've missed.

Now without further ado, onto the actual point of this thread. I'm looking to make a Neptune (Hyperdimension Neptunia) costume to crossplay at an upcoming convention (Kitacon if waiting list goes down in April, otherwise Hyper Japan in July or AmeCon in July (home city!). This would be the first time cosplaying in general; and the first time ever attending a convention. This is also my very first time ever making any form of clothing, and have no previous sewing skills (outside of a heart-shaped cushion). It will be all done by hand-sewing as I do not have a sewing machine (however I will have access to one towards the end of March and the Summer if needed as my sister has one). I'm currently making the jacket out of polar fleece, and seems to be going fine at the moment. I'll need to make a couple changes (like the length), but that shouldn't be too bad.

The reason that I have chosen Neptune is, simply put, she's my favourite fictional character currently, and I have a similar carefree personality to her. The costume will be her normal state; not her HDD, and will be using the Re;Birth1 & 2 clothing (see pic below).

http://img14.deviantart.net/fab2/i/2...is-d8go3oi.png

However, that's all that I have. There are a few things I could use some tips on:
1. Any further tips on technicalities regarding the jacket, such as the bottom of her jacket / sleeves and whether or not elastic should be used. As well as the creation of details on her zipper as well as the usb-looking things (see circled in image below; I don't know what they're called). Also any tips to get the thread through the hood as it goes would would help. As for the rest of her jacket, I've just used fleece and currently only have an basic draft of the main body & one sleeve done. Any other tips regarding the jacket would also help, a picture of what I've done so far can be seen at the bottom of the post.
http://i.imgur.com/BgDvCTP.jpg
2. Any information or guidance on how to create her stockings, shoes, choker, & hair clips would be appreciated (remember, I have no experience so as much detail as possible would be great if possible).
3. Any secret techniques to make one appear as more feminine, especially where her skin shows (hands, thighs, neck, face). I assume that make-up would be a large necessity, and of course shaving/waxing to prevent any body hair from showing.
4. Voice. I can do the falsetto voice, but it doesn't sound very... authentic.

Thanks to anyone that can help in advance; really appreciate it. <3

Here's what I've got so far:
http://i.imgur.com/aW5AoUX.jpg

I've made it waay too big, so I'll need to cut some off and modify some of the purple strips to be longer (would cutting & sewing them in be best or would wonderweb do the trick?). The sleeves also turned out much baggier than expected, so any fixes that doesn't involve resewing the entire thing could be nice if that's even possible?

Thanks again to anyone that can help. Sorry it was a long post.

PS: I know I probably got colors slightly off; I'm colorblind so..
Necroexodia is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-14-2016, 12:36 AM   #2
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

*Cracks fingers* Alright here we go again (Just typed a huge help post out for another person like just a minute ago lol But this is Neptunia, i HAVE to..Being my favorite game franchise). Also just so you know for future reference about her "version" It's not specific to just those 2 games. She canonically owns both in every dimension.

Alright so the elastic or no thing..No. None. The reason her cuffs and the bottom thing look like they are smaller is because they are just that. Smaller. She has one of those "cartoon physics" things going on. Her sleeves and bottom area SHOULD be riddled with folds and wrinkles. But it's Idea Factory..Not making sense? That's kinda their thing..I would use a non stretchy fabric for those parts, and make them smaller than the circumference of the sleeve and bottom.
The weird "N" zipper pull I would make out of craft foam and wood and one small chain link (plastic). You can buy circle pieces of wood in the craft section of Joanns, as well as a sheet of craft foam. Then use the 2 big wood circles in the pack, and trace 2 onto the foam. This will sandwich between the wood ones. Then one small plastic chain link. You can buy a small amount of plastic chain at lowes for a good buck. If you get the kind you see that stores use at halloween time to hang their spooky merchandise on rather than the normal strips, yea that size) then it's just the right size to fit in between the wood pieces along with the foam. If you cut away a little at the foam you can fit the chain link inside right in between the wood. Use wood glue to hold everything together, then use something more like loctite glue to hold the chain link in place. Then use a smaller circle of wood from the pack. this will be the layer that you see is a smaller circle. If you want the smaller area to stick out as it's own layer, just glue it straight on. if not, trace it in the area you want, and use something like a screwdriver to dig into the wood to make it look indented. Then use the foam to make the N shape. You can use one of the EVEN SMALLER circles and trace it on the foam and draw out the N in that and cut it out. Seal it all with white glue and paint it.

For the thread through the hood (which I believe you meant draw strings for the hood) you would do it the way any other hoodie is done. Feed it through. I would put a safety pin on one side (so you have something to easily grip in your fingers) and feed it through the same way you would anything else.
As for the USB port end pieces. You could make them out of cardboard..plastic if you know what you're doing. Basically 2 boxes, one inside the other. Then paint them..I think the circles on them are also raised. You can buy circle gems when you go to get the rest of your supplies at the fabric/craft stores. Then just glue them on and paint them white.

Her stockings are White and light blue. I would try sockdreams.com to start, but maybe ebay searching for those exact collors? then you can buy lace (they actually sell some at joanns that's very similar to hers) and sew it to the top. But make sure you know how much lace you need becasue if you sew on even barely too much, they will not fit right and look really weird.

The choker..This is one of the parts that's stopping my Nepgear cosplay..I'm just as stumped as you are..

Look up any show cover tutorial. There are hundreds. You basically will have to use whatever method you find easiest, and apply this design to it..I am pretty sure there are no Neptune shoe tutorials.

The only problem i find in ANY material I use for the D-Pad hair clip, it making the center circle indent, and the line indents on the 4 arms. Can't think of anything..I tried with cardboard for Nepgear, but it was ugly..I was thinking next trying the foam mats. I think if you use something the right shapes (a dome for the center and likes for the arms) and heating them up and "melting" the indents into it, but I haven't tried.

As for makeup, this forum is filled with many many different pieces of help for this question. I would take the time to look around this forum and just read what's been already said. there's far too much to type (i|it'd likely make this TWICE as long if I added all that stuff).

And last, the voice..Don't worry. No one will care. And if they do, they can get over it.No no, don't make it smaller. Her hoddie IS big..that's the whole point. It looks fine.

-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-IF (Hyperdimension neptunia Re;Birth:1)
-Cloud (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Gohan (DBZ SSJ1 Cell Saga beat Up)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2016, 07:22 AM   #3
Necroexodia

Awesome, it's always nice to meet another Neptunia fan ^^

Hmm, what non-stretchy fabric would you suggest? I've used Polar Fleece for the rest of the jacket, so that wouldn't work if I'm going for something non-stretchy. Something like Polycotton maybe?
Sounds like a lot of work, but I'll give it a try. Will have to see if I can find the craft foam, wood, and plastic chain link thing somewhere though (don't believe we have a Joanns in the UK, but there's a nice fabric store that might have them, will have to check that out).

Yeah, draw strings, forgot the name. Will have to look up a video tutorial I suppose just to get a visual idea for generic hoodie hoods. What type of paint would you suggest? Would acryllic work, or would I want something else that's more suitable?

Thanks for the link, will definitely look it out. As for the lace, would I make the amount needed equivalent to the circumference to the top of the stocking, or would I make it a bit more, given stockings tend to stretch (not sure if lace does?)?

Will ask around a bit regarding it then.

Alright, will look them up, thanks. I know I've seen a similar shape of her shoes before somewhere, which would just be a matter of painting them... but I can't remember for the life of me where I seen them. :/

Sounds pretty tricky actually, but sounds like a good idea that could help. o: Will definitely look about giving it a shot anyway, once I finish the jacket ^^

I actually saw one of the threads right AFTER I posted this. x) Was unable to edit though as it took several days to show :s Thanks though, will look around for some more too. ^^

Ahah, alrighty then. Good to know.

Thanks for the reply and all your help, buddy. ^^
Necroexodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2016, 10:56 PM   #4
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

For the non stretch, I'm talking about the cuffs and the bottom of the hoodie. The blue band parts. The rest of the hoodie is fine in fleece. I would say any bottom weight should be fine. Twill would work I guess. Her's doesn't stretch so it doesn't need to be the same as a regular hoodie.

The thing is, since none of us will know your area except someone that just happens to live there, we won't be much help there. So just look around and see if you can find anything.

Yea just look up how to feed a drawstring through something. PJ pants, sweat pants, and anything else with a drawstring or elastic band are the same thing. Depends on what you make them out of. If you use foam sheets, get them in the right colors to save money..If you have to paint, just use the same stuff you used on the zipper pull.

Get the measurement of your leg. Not the sock. If you get the fully stretched sock hole, it will be way too big, if you get only enough to match the sock just laying there not stretched, it will be too small of an amount. it has to match your leg where the sock sits. Then stretch the sock as you sew it on so that the sock will be the same size you need it. And no lace generally doesn't stretch as it's usually straight up cotton.

If you get any leads let me know.

Alright well I hope this helps more. Good luck.

-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-IF (Hyperdimension neptunia Re;Birth:1)
-Cloud (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Gohan (DBZ SSJ1 Cell Saga beat Up)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote