Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 164 votes, 4.97 average.
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #2251
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
Sweeney: For what it's worth, I had no idea you were female until you posted here. Maybe darken your eyebrows some?
Lol thank you
I used to darken my eyebrows for Sweeney and usually don't do it for Jack since most of the time my bandana covers them, but I probably should start doing that again as I have very sparse eyebrows :P

Kanako Maeda - Your pose and physique look perfect for being a female. Also you seem to have done your makeup very well to appear more feminine, so I'll say you definitely pass!

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #2252
KillerWhaleCake
puripuripuripuripuri

Thanks a lot guys! Yeah I need lots of improvement with my depicting facial hair. I'll definitely look up some tutorials C:. I thought I could get away with not purchasing a binder, but now maybe I'll invest. Or possibly resew a shirt that doesn't sink as low? :O
Day 2: Nishinoya Yuu (Haikyuu!!)
Day 3: Kisarazu Ryou (Prince of Tennis)
KillerWhaleCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #2253
Chibi_Miyuki

Ok, kinda nervous but here goes. I'm doing my first crossplays at Fanime this year, and I was hoping to get some advice.... The two males that I am crossplaying are Kuroko from Kuroko no basket and Haru from Tsuritama. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some pictures of my Kuroko. I don't have any pictures of my Haru yet.
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/454551/
Chibi_Miyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #2254
ImNewHere
The new guy.

So how'd I do on one of my 3 attempts at makeup?

http://www.scottyspot.com/meindress/...oween%2012.jpg

Also, what can I do to improve it? I know I don't pass, but I tried! Sorry about the crappy pic taken with my phone.

I also hit more conventions than most people do, so if you see me say hi. Chances are I'll be selling DVDs in the dealer room.

Last edited by ImNewHere : 05-07-2013 at 03:40 PM.
ImNewHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:14 AM   #2255
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNewHere View Post
So how'd I do on one of my 3 attempts at makeup?

http://www.scottyspot.com/meindress/...oween%2012.jpg

Also, what can I do to improve it? I know I don't pass, but I tried! Sorry about the crappy pic taken with my phone.
Your male crossing as female correct? I mean your profile pic is a guy so..

Anyway if that's it, then yes, you actually do to me..I sayw that pic and was like (is that girl trying to be a guy? Or? lol If you are crossing as female, then yes
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 04:15 AM   #2256
Chryso

@SweeneyTodd. Mind blown. In a good way.
Agree with the darker eyebrows bit though.

@KillerWhaleCake: My first impression is the eyes and mouth are giving it away. Girl faces are all about contrast (highlighted eyes and lips), male faces are less defined this way. What happens if you don't use eye makeup? Can you use foundation on your lips then blot it away to make them less defined? I would draw the eyebrows closer together and thicken their lower edge to appear lower on the face. As others have said, look at some tutorials on facial hair. Hope it helps.

@Kelley looking wonderful

@ Kanako Maeda looking good so far, may I suggest a little more emphasis on the hourglass figure? Sewing the jacket to be little tighter at the waist will help give the illusion of hips.

@Chibimiyuki I think you have done VERY well. Can't make any suggestions based on these photos so good job

@ImNewHere I think you DO pass Just need some more emphasis on the contrast of a female face - eyeliner/eyeshadow, to make your eyes more catlike, slanting them upwards. As long as the bangs are covering the eyebrows you're fine there, bear in mind that if the eyebrows show you'd probably want them to be neater/thinner. Something I've found is wonderful for lips is making them super glossy with lip balm - it's a neat trick to fool the eye.

Can I say I'm just loving everyone's efforts?

Run without rivals
Chryso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #2257
ImNewHere
The new guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
Your male crossing as female correct? I mean your profile pic is a guy so..

Anyway if that's it, then yes, you actually do to me..I sayw that pic and was like (is that girl trying to be a guy? Or? lol If you are crossing as female, then yes
Yep, I am a guy. The profile pic is me sitting down at a convention. I was using a corset and falsies to help with my figure in the pic, and it was probably my best attempt at makeup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chryso
@ImNewHere I think you DO pass Just need some more emphasis on the contrast of a female face - eyeliner/eyeshadow, to make your eyes more catlike, slanting them upwards. As long as the bangs are covering the eyebrows you're fine there, bear in mind that if the eyebrows show you'd probably want them to be neater/thinner. Something I've found is wonderful for lips is making them super glossy with lip balm - it's a neat trick to fool the eye.
Yeah, my eyebrows are a bit on the bushy side. The makeup thing eludes me still, as in I can do foundation (kinda) but the rest, I'm not good at at all. Of course I've only tried it a few times.

I also hit more conventions than most people do, so if you see me say hi. Chances are I'll be selling DVDs in the dealer room.
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #2258
Chibi_Miyuki

@Chryso: Thank you so much! Thankfully, the guys that I am cosplaying are boyish, so they don't seem as difficult to pull off as someone really masculine, like Alex Louis Armstrong from FMA.

And this might be a silly question, but for girls trying to pull off being guys, is it better to wear no makeup or to try and do makeup to make you look like a guy?
Chibi_Miyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #2259
Ilafatyu
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi_Miyuki View Post
And this might be a silly question, but for girls trying to pull off being guys, is it better to wear no makeup or to try and do makeup to make you look like a guy?
It's better to wear makeup. Even if you're not doing contouring, makeup looks better in photographs than an unmakeuped face. Just foundation and powder is fine.
Same for non-crossplaying guys.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 75%
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 0%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #2260
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chryso View Post
@SweeneyTodd. Mind blown. In a good way.
Agree with the darker eyebrows bit though.
Thanks! Definitely gonna darken the eyebrows next time I go out as Jack Sparrow. I got some comments about that on one of the cosplay photos I submitted to a contest lol

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #2261
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Yeah, that's a pretty darn good Jack Sparrow.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 03:35 AM   #2262
Kelley
Devil of Details

@SweeneyTodd, agree about the eyebrows and that you look pretty great already. One thing I'd consider that I don't think has been mentioned is using a pencil or something to blend the harder edges of the fake hair and use some blue/grey powder lightly on the whole beard area to get that faint shadow that occurs when a person has dark hair that's still under the skin. It sounds minor but it's pretty amazing the difference it can make !

@Kanako Maeda, I think I read in another thread that you're trying to do a female to male to female ? Is this the actual costume or will that one be different ?

@Chibi_Miyuki, looks pretty good ! I'd want to see some clearer face shots for that advice in particular. If the character is past puberty I would suggest the "under skin" hair shadow as above. It's something that is very subtle - it's not like a cloud of dirt on your face, it's just enough to change the perception of the skin from warm to cool - it's something that makes a lot of difference that people don't usually notice specifically. As for your question about makeup it really depends on the person. When I use makeup I strive to make it undetectable - I don't think I ever do full foundation and powder (only when I'm trying to look female), not gonna lie. It really depends on you, personally and how far you can push things before you go too far - it's good to just try things out and see what works for you.

@ImNewHere, looks great ! If you're going for a "cute" look, I might suggest a bit of blush on the front part of the cheeks (like an actual blush) - not on the sides, it gives a "pretty" and very feminine look. I might darken the eye and lip makeup, but it might also be the picture - a clear gloss is also good on lips - and you might experiment with using a pencil to go a bit beyond the natural lip - if you're careful with it it can still look natural. My lips looked ridiculously pretty when I did that it was kind of crazy. :P

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #2263
ImNewHere
The new guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley
@ImNewHere, looks great ! If you're going for a "cute" look, I might suggest a bit of blush on the front part of the cheeks (like an actual blush) - not on the sides, it gives a "pretty" and very feminine look. I might darken the eye and lip makeup, but it might also be the picture - a clear gloss is also good on lips - and you might experiment with using a pencil to go a bit beyond the natural lip - if you're careful with it it can still look natural. My lips looked ridiculously pretty when I did that it was kind of crazy. :P
Thanks! I plan on doing another practice on it tomorrow and I will try your suggestions! If I don't get stuck at work I will be at Acen and will also try it there too!

Unread 05-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #2264
Capie

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3363505/
one of my most recent crossplays been crossplaying for 3 years now just wondering if im getting any better with makeup and figure any tips idea :3

older cosplays
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3258843/ nami one piece
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3162494/ haineko bleach
Capie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #2265
Chryso

So I have been told... repeatedly... that I kind of bear a resemblance to Dante Basco...

My god.... I think they were right.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...42942218_n.jpg

Run without rivals
Chryso is offline   Reply With Quote