Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 07-21-2003, 11:50 AM   #1
JoeBoeing
Man Kitty

How is the Bernina 1008 model sewing machine?

Greetings all,

I want to replace my broken sewing machine (Simplicity S110 - never (literally) got a good sticth out of it... would've returned it but 1st used it after warrenty expired).

I was leaning towards the Viking Freesia 425 ($800.00 - refurb)but I found the Bernina 1008 for 200 bucks less ($600.00).

The Bernina is a moslty metal machine while the Viking is mostly plastic. but I love how easy the Viking is to use (made my white mage on it - sewing class at JoAnns).

The Viking is digital and I'm worried that will break down the line and I have heard that is very expensive to fix. The Bernina is all mechanical.

Which should I get?

NOTE: I'm in debt for a month and a half and need to save up for AM... so it'll be a while before I get it.

FRom,
Joe
JoeBoeing is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2003, 12:11 PM   #2
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

I think you should try out both machines and see which one you like better. Bernina and Viking both make fine machines.. but think about what exactly you will really be using it for. In 15 years of sewing, I can probably count the number of times I have used stitches other than straight and zigzag on one hand, so unless you anticipate really using a lot of the fancy embroidery stitches and whatnot, a snazzy digital machine with tons of stitches may be a waste of money.

Incidentally, I've been using the same cheap Viking portable I got as a high school graduation present for over 10 years with no trouble at all.
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2003, 04:53 PM   #3
SynVanSiWes
Et Kan Nu.

I've got a 1008, I haven't had any problems but I only got it a couple months ago. I've found it easy to use, and I've been able to figure out things from the manual just fine.

I trust Bernina though. My mother used to work in a quilting store and does a lot of sewing. This is what she got me when I asked for a machine for my birthday. From what I've heard, Pfaff and Bernina are the top brands.

I wish I could add more, but I'm still relatively new to sewing.
SynVanSiWes is offline   Reply With Quote