Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Suggestions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-20-2008, 10:19 PM   #1
Kitkaze
Pirate Captain

Cold Cosplayers - Winter Cosplay

So I go to a convention in January every year. And we'll I've made a mistake or two in my cosplay choices (footwear consisting of only slippers and socks are NOT a good idea in 12 inches of snow!!)

What characters that have warmer outfits? (eg cold temperature/snow worthy) I can't think of any at the moment and would love to hear what everyone can come up with.

Last edited by Kitkaze : 12-20-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Kitkaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-21-2008, 07:44 AM   #2
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

I'd look for art book scans of series you already like.^_^ A lot of those will have "alternate" outfits for the characters including themed outfits such as cold weather, halloween, etc.
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2008, 08:21 AM   #3
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Avatar the Last Airbender water tribe has great winter outfits.

Organization XIII coats are notoriously hot (as in "I'm going to die of heat stroke" not "OMG I'm so gorgeous the fan girls will love me!")
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
silver_wolf

- Tsubasa Chronicle: Fai's default outfit
- D. Gray Man: any of the characters, with the exception of Lenalee, has a warm outfit

silver_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #5
Zodiac Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Avatar the Last Airbender water tribe has great winter outfits.

Organization XIII coats are notoriously hot (as in "I'm going to die of heat stroke" not "OMG I'm so gorgeous the fan girls will love me!")
They're both kinds of hot. ^_-

Plus, Organization Robes let you wear anything underneath you want, plus they often include boots AND gloves... so they make a PERFECT cold-weather costume. You can very easily have some sweatpants and long underwear on, and be nice and toasty.
Zodiac Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #6
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

http://www.wiiloaded.com/Final-Fanta...1-wii#pid41571

Final Fantasy III's DS remake has all sorts of great little costumes that would be perfect for winter conventions. The Devout, Geomancer, Viking and various mage classes would be great. I've seen the Devout class made out of fleece before and it looked super-cozy!

More here (with larger images): http://www.creativeuncut.com/art_final-fantasy-3_a.html
Angathol is evolving!
Congratulations! Your Angathol evolved into Independent Badass!
Future Costumes: Deedlit : Record of Lodoss War | Saber : Fate/Stay Night | Aya Shameimaru : Touhou Project | Nozomu Itoshiki : Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

Last edited by Angathol : 12-21-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Angathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2008, 05:09 PM   #7
Kitkaze
Pirate Captain

These are great! I especially love the Avatar and FF3 ideas! Keep them coming!
Kitkaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2008, 10:54 PM   #8
Benihime78
The Fun-Sized One

In my experience, I have found Bleach shinigami robes to be on the warm side. I also believe there's a "winter" version of the military dress from Fullmetal Alchemist. Not to mention Ed's outfit looks like it could keep someone warm with all the coats and boots.

Next Con: ?????

My deviantArt
(feel free to add- I love seeing other people's work).
Disney Cosplay Tumblr-Follow and post!

Benihime78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
Haku23

Naruto characters :'D Particularly Shino Aburame http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/na...-Shippuden.jpg Akatsuki members(from Naruto too) also wear cloaks and long pants(you could wear a long sweater underneath!) though they do have the stupid ass ninja sandals. you could always mod them to have a toe though. Also Neji Hyuuga though his shirt is open in shippuden and he wears short sleeves and pants in the first part D:

Irvine from final fantasy 8 wears a long coat and pants and boots.

Mello from Death Note! The leather probably wouldn't be the warmest but he does wear a coat XD http://www.renders-graphiques.fr/ima...er_mello_1.png though really any Death Note character excluding Misa would probably be okay since they mostly all wear long sleeves and pants-I don't think anyone would object to you wearing a coat either @_@
Unread 12-22-2008, 08:02 PM   #10
Etsu
Jen-of-All-Trades

Kimonos are generally very warm, especially when you have layers like the one Kagura from Inuyasha wears.

Revy from Black Lagoon has a winter outfit (black turtleneck, brown coat, maroon skirt, and boots).

There's also winter school uniforms. They may not be the warmest option, but Japanese school kids walk to school in the snow wearing them.
original writing and art
blog about Japanese culture
Etsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 08:08 PM   #11
Seiyora
Indecisive Pumpkin

Definitely Axis Powers Hetalia's Ivan/Russia! His outfit consists of a scarf, gloves, and thick winter jacket over a uniform. Doesn't get much cozier than that :P

..::Upcoming Cons

.Another Anime Con 09

..::In the works

.Lithuania - Axis Powers Hetalia (95%)
Seiyora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2008, 07:27 PM   #12
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

- Sena Robin, from Witch Hunter Robin. Petticoat + long dress + pinafore + long overcoat + gloves = very HOT costume for any time except winter. For a male cosplayer, Amon from the same series also wears about four layers.

- Edward Elric from FMA can be a really warm costume, depending on what materials you use (shirt/jacket/overcoat/leather pants/gloves/automail).

- The Count of Monte Cristo (or any other formal costume) from Gankutsuou: Shirt, top hat, long dress jacket, lined cape, cravat, gloves... So warm that my sister almost passed out from heat exhaustion in it... O.o

- Pretty much any military uniform (ranging from Gundam to Meine Liebe to FMA) is going to involve a shirt, possibly a vest, a lined jacket, maybe a cape or overcoat, gloves, and tall boots -- all of which are very insulating.

- Any of the "long red coat" characters: Dante from DMC, Vash from Trigun, Alucard from Hellsing, etc.

- All characters from Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE have winter costumes (CLAMP loves artbook/variant costumes). Especially Fay (as previously mentioned), who comes from an icy climate and often wears long fur-trimmed coats.

www.AndSewingIsHalfTheBattle.com
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
"Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it." — Maimonides
AVAAntares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2008, 03:45 PM   #13
Shinteetah
Behavior Analyst. Really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVAAntares View Post
So warm that my sister almost passed out from heat exhaustion in it... O.o
That's not an exaggeration.... I have learned a lot about layers and materials and not having only a few square inches of skin exposed to air and that covered with antiperspirant makeup -- in midwestern August! Bad idea, and I started to go down during the Gen Con masquerade. Generally, I'm a lot more concerned about heat than cold. Heat can be more quickly dangerous; most of us won't actually risk frostbite or hypothermia in costume.

But if you need warmth (January cons being a prime example) look for costumes with more winter-friendly materials (leather, vinyl, wool). You can get away with showing some skin if the rest of your costume is warm; I personally find that I can go sleeveless if I'm wearing leather pants or something similar to balance heat loss/retention. You can't have it both ways (throws pointed glance at skanky Chobits negligee cosplayers who are shivering and whining).

Also look for places you can hide extra layers -- leggings underneath pants, two pair of socks (and spares if you get them wet), etc. Anyone who does much winter sport or outdoor work can speak to the many ways of trapping heat without extra bulk.

"...And Sewing Is Half the Battle!" -- photos & tutorials

"Cosplay is good skills for ninja." -- actual quote from my taijutsu sensei!

“God is no fonder of intellectual slackers than of any other slackers.... Anyone who is honestly trying to be a Christian will soon find his intelligence being sharpened.”
-- C. S. Lewis
Shinteetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2009, 11:03 PM   #14
my2wings

katara, from avatar. its perfect for cold weather
my2wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2009, 11:23 PM   #15
KakeraのTsuki
in Somniō

The thing that immediately comes to mind is...

Trinity Blood Priest robes. Especially if they're lined. Undershirt, cape, big collar, gloves, pants, long overcoat, boots... The only area of skin not covered is the face. Actually, almost everything from Trinity Blood is pretty warm.

Lining really makes a difference, I think...well, d'ur, considering it's double the layers, essentially. Which is the reason I don't line my costumes unless it really calls for lining. You can always wear a shirt under it if it's cold.

Otakuthon: Ashe(League of Legends), Artwork (Nardack illustrations)

Upcoming: Lyndis (Fire Emblem: awakening), Abel (Trinity Blood), Fruit Tart (Sakizo)

KakeraのTsuki is offline   Reply With Quote