Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Music Chat

Unread 07-21-2003, 12:47 PM   #1
chai_fiend
hopelessly asleep

why jrock?

i am REALLY bored so i thought to start this thing. some people ask me how and why i started listening to jrock. i wanted to ask that question to someone else. so there ya go, how you got into it and why.
chai_fiend is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2003, 01:27 PM   #2
Kaede
biku biku

I remembered someone say because it's not in English/from America...and that's really true. It's so interesting and addictive because it's nothing like what we see here marketed every day. The members are usually visually appealing, their PVs are 100x more appealing in my mind than those you see in America. It also seems like every bands got some story--X-Japan, Raphael, and Malice Mizer have deaths, and Diru serves much fanservice ^_-
You never see this kind of thing in America...and when you do, it's on the cover of "The Most Outrageously Worst Dressed Magazine"
Kaede is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2003, 01:54 PM   #3
chai_fiend
hopelessly asleep

who is this diru you speak of? fanservice??
Unread 07-21-2003, 02:26 PM   #4
ryuichi fangirl
Taryn + bacon = OTP

Diru = Dir en grey

Ahh..really my reasons are much the same as those Kaede gave...I just..can't get into the American stuff the way I can j rock >_>...it's just more appealing to me *shrugs*
ryuichi fangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2003, 03:32 PM   #5
chai_fiend
hopelessly asleep

diru=deg. god i feel soooo stupid. *starts shrinking in size* its like laruku...silly me
Unread 07-21-2003, 09:11 PM   #6
archangeli
~ Ich bin da. ~

It wafts over from my sisters room. I hear it by absorbtion....
archangeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2003, 11:08 PM   #7
Deadly Claris
Japanese Zombie Hero

The answer is simple for me, I like the music ^^;; Of course there's visual attraction as well but the music is what got me first *shrug*. I just don't like American music that much.. Diru was the first band where I actually liked all or most of their songs ^_^
Deadly Claris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2003, 10:49 AM   #8
Lyn
ginga bishonen

I actually got into J-Rock through Anime. The first time I ever heard X-Japan was when I watched that little X music video for CLAMP that was made before the movie. I absolutely loved the song "X" and went to find more stuff about X-Japan and at Otakon 2000, I bought one of their CDs and was hooked. After that, I gradually got into other J-Rock bands like Dir en grey and Malice Mizer etc. And then got into a number of Indies band and such.

I got into J-Rock first for the music and that's my priority with getting into bands. I wont' give an opinion on any band until I've actually heard the music, no matter what they look like. The whole visual thing is just an extra bonus in my opinion. I love visual kei and it's just so different from the stuff we see here and when combined with their wonderful music, it makes J-Rock just so amazing to me. I don't even really like that much American music anymore now that I've gotten into J-Rock.

I love their looks and have to admit that I really like the feminine visual look a lot of J-Rockers have at one time or another but the music is what counts to me. And their music just has something to it that I haven't found in any other type of music I've heard.
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2003, 02:19 PM   #9
Scortia

Anime started it for me... I heard "Blurry Eyes" with the opening to DNA^2 and "X" and so many others... then my friend, who was incredibly obsessed with J-rock already, got me more into it.

For me, here are my reasons:
*The bands often are VERY passionate about their music and conveying a feeling... it touches my heart. ;P
*Most J-rock lyrics aren't as stupid as current music lyrics...
*They usually do have an interesting back story and a death or two in the group.
*Most of the bands consist of gorgeous, intelligent guys.
*The instrumentation and singing is so much more expressive than American music. Just try and find me an American comparison for Hide's voice or the rich playing in Malice Mizer.
*The energy... even their ballads are full of energy. Heh, I workout to my J-rock CDs. ^^;;
*It's just so fun and punkish... it's amusing and also serious at the same time. Sometimes, the more serious the musicians try to be, the funnier they become. ^^;;
Unread 07-22-2003, 09:10 PM   #10
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

After AX '00 a friend I met there was showing me pictures of Mana.. and then sent me some Malice Mizer songs. o.o From there I discovered Dir en grey, T.M.Revolution, Shazna, and others. ^_^; But I'm not at all the Jrock fangirl I was a year or two ago.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2003, 03:45 AM   #11
Moogle Hiromi
~†~Iconoclast~†~

Ohhh I just heard about the JRock while looking around. I downloaded the stuff and got hooked. I have always been into Rock. But I do find JPop is also good unlike Western stuff. In moderation though.
But I find all I do listen now is JRock. Although i like to turn the radio on occassionally to my fave rock stsation. :P

I also love the visual thing. Visual is good.
Moogle Hiromi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2003, 08:28 AM   #12
chai_fiend
hopelessly asleep

yay! people are responding
Unread 07-23-2003, 02:13 PM   #13
Ahem

My friend Cryz got me hooked on Jrock. I prefer the older stuff (ie, Malice Mizer, X Japan), and even though I like Gackt, I'm very disapointed in his newer works. He's started to copy his older songs and 'pop-ize' them.

I don't like Jpop at all, though. I'll listen to it if it's an anime opening/ending, but I don't like the bands themselves. Especially Morning Musume. >_<!!!

Another thing I love is that Jrockers right their own music and lyrics. Look at Gackt, he wrote everything in his solo career by himself. American artists rarely do the same. Also, Jpoppers (wow, that sounded wrong) don't usually write their own songs. That's another reason I hate Jpop.

I end up listening to a ton of variety, though, as here in the Atlanta area we have a radio station that plays Jrock/Jpop/anime music/game music from 6-8 pm on Sundays. They even take requests, and give updates on local cons (AWA is the only one, though...XD), concerts, new albums/singles, top five albums/singles in Japan (the 8 Mile soundtrack-yes, that stupid Enenim movie-was the #1 album for three weeks one time), bands breaking up/forming, and more.

It's a lot of fun, and I tune in whenever I can.

If you happen to live in the Atlanta area, the station is 88.5 FM (the GSU station).

Last edited by Ahem : 07-23-2003 at 02:17 PM.
Ahem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2003, 03:52 PM   #14
chai_fiend
hopelessly asleep

thats sweet. i wish we had decent radio stations...everytime there is good programming it dissapears. i wonder if i can hear it in savannah when i go down there, that'd be nice.
anywayz, i'll guess i post why i like jrock but its pretty much the same thing that lyn said. i got into it cuz i stumbled across a web page explaining visual kei and it kept mentioning malice mizer and there were pics too and i was all oooo mana is pretty. so i d/l*ed "au revoir" and played it on a loop almost 24/7. i was that impressed (by that time i had given up on radio and the existence of decent rock music). that same website also had a link to amethyst purple which had songs in real audio format. that's where i got hooked on DeG.
i like it cuz of the music. yeah the pretty boiz make it all the better, but it's all about the talent. western bands all pretty much sound the same to me and the guitars just run together. w/ jrock you can actually hear the different instruments and--omg *heart attack*--the bass! also i like how all the vocalists don't sound the same
Unread 07-23-2003, 04:38 PM   #15
chibi_kitsune
creator of my own world

I got into j-rock when I heard some songs at a convention, I asked who they were and got a dir en grey cd, right I only got one cd and a few downloads but im planning on getting more cds.

"I'm delicious, no one should taste this delicious!"

Planned/future cosplys-
Derek Stiles and Victor Niguel-Trauma Center (Second Opinion version)
Daria Morgendorffer-Daria
Mei Terumi (the fifth Mizukage) and Konan-Naruto (Manga version)
Lin Beifong and Tahno from Legend of Korra
chibi_kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote