Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #16
Kirotighta
Lolita Apologist

I think the guy in my first example would look more "pretty" if the hair of his wig framed his face more - that is, covered his strong cheek bones and jaw line. Go ahead, cover the edge of his face (our left) with your finger and see if that doesn't make him look more feminine.
Kirotighta is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-28-2008, 08:10 PM   #17
xxmossgardenxx
Amahime

Mana not look good? Sinners. Mana is god, and think if it wasn't for him, would lolita really be as big as it is today? I think not. Mana is basicly god of lolita, and pulls off one hell of a girl.
But hey we can't all see the beauty.

I think a different wig would have helped that guy, but I still think makeup would have really helped as well. If a guy is going to do Lolita well he need good makeup, not just a good dress and wig.

~*Upcoming Con*~
Anime Boston 2014
xxmossgardenxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 03:19 AM   #18
celticfreefall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifa-chan0980 View Post
Mana not look good? Sinners. Mana is god, and think if it wasn't for him, would lolita really be as big as it is today? I think not. Mana is basicly god of lolita, and pulls off one hell of a girl.
But hey we can't all see the beauty.

I think a different wig would have helped that guy, but I still think makeup would have really helped as well. If a guy is going to do Lolita well he need good makeup, not just a good dress and wig.
Oh my god XD This is too funny.

Mana is basicly god of lolita

*Falls over laughing* You're entitled to your own opinion, but I'll thank you NOT to call me a sinner because I disagree with you. And please, learn that your opinion may not be everyone's and use language that isn't insulting to those that disagree with your rather unorthodox opinion. Personally, I think it's blasphemous to call a visual kei star god, because, well, it's blasphemous in the eyes of my God. But I'm not going to rub my religion in others faces. If you can even call the cult of Mana a religion. It's one thing to respect or like someone, it's another to "worship them" and think they're a god. I really like Johnny Depp, I think he's hot, and fantastic actor. In fact, he's one of my two favorites (Alan Rickman being the other). He's not a god, though.

Anyways, he's a visual kei star. He's one of many that have popularized lolita. The thing is, the way he wears lolita, is that of a stage costume. It's really not to be worn anywhere other than the stage. It's really not even lolita by most lolitas standards. He wears far too much makeup. His skirts are too short. He wears tacky lace gloves with everything even though it makes his outfits look awkward. There's.. a lot wrong with his outfits by lolita standards. But he's Mana, and he's a visual kei/stage artist. That's the only reason he gets away with it. It would look hideously silly on anyone else, especially minus the hours of photoshop put into any pictures printed with him in a photoshoot. I digress. There are a LOT of reasons why people don't like Mana as a good example of "brolita" for people to follow. It's fine for you to think Mana is God, you're entitled. But you also need to understand and accept why others may disagree, even it's not your personal opinion. It's this little thing called mutual respect.

I also highly suggest not saying that you will beat someone up for dressing in lolita if they're not an effeminate looking man. Again, that's just going too far. Don't you think that saying you will beat up a man for dressing in women's clothing invokes a picture of homophobia and hate speech towards transvestites? You're entitled to think it looks bad, but wouldn't you think it's rude and hateful to say that they're insulting lolita? I don't share that opinion. Numerous others in this thread have expressed that they don't as well. So, what gives you the right to label that as insulting to all lolita? It's insulting to you, maybe insulting to you as a lolita. But it's NOT insulting to the entirety of lolita.

It might help you to think about it this way; People can't change the way they look. Male or female. There are fat, thin, short and tall lolitas. Most tall lolitas have problems fitting into standard lolita sizes from brands because the skirts fall too short since they're taller than the average Japanese. Does that make them insults to all lolita? No. It just makes them tall. They have absolutely no control over their height, and why should they be excluded from wearing lolita just because they can't fit into brand measurements? They shouldn't, they can wear off brand/altered brand that looks just as nice and fits their height/hem length requirements and be lolita too. Men who aren't effeminate can't change their face. But they can change what they wear and how they wear it, just like the tall lolitas. As long as they're dressing themselves properly there is reason to exclude them other than pure prejudice against male lolitas. It's just wrong. They can't change the way they look. That's like telling a tall lolita to suddenly shrink, or a Caucasian lolita to suddenly turn Asian "or she won't be a REAL lolita or offend mein eyes". It's just beyond ridiculous.

Side note: I think brolita is a funny term too. But it's the term widely accepted, so, we're stuck with it.

Last edited by celticfreefall : 12-29-2008 at 03:22 AM.
celticfreefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #19
Meiki

I was just really hoping she was kidding, but bravo on the rant. It was very well-written.
Meiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 12:23 PM   #20
Cadmium Polyphony
Hiro Protagonist

If mana is god of lolita, remind me to never go to it's church.
Cadmium Polyphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 12:49 PM   #21
Kirotighta
Lolita Apologist

^_^; Okie dokie everybody I think its time to get off the subject of Mana, and back onto the real topic, before this thread turns into an argument.

So, Brolitas. Should they shave their legs, or should they just wear stockings? Obviously for some men, shaving their legs is out of the question. But are stockings a sufficient-enough means of hiding leg hair? I suppose that would depend on the individual level of hairiness.
I think that that is my biggest issue with a man wearing female lolita clothes. Its all well and good, as long as the hairiness is hidden. ^_^ But that's just me.
Unread 12-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #22
AnnChristin

For me it's their face.. It looks masculine. I've seen some guys I've been wondering if is a guy or girl from the behind, but seeing them from the front and seeing their face makes it look masculine.
AnnChristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #23
shinubu

People should shave their legs even if they don't wear lolita clothing ^^
shinubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #24
Vitasoy
Nani Kore!?

My guy friend makes a cute lolita.

If you want to truly do this fashion, go for it. If you're doing to whole lolita as a mockery, just... don't. ^^ Even if you have more masculine features, if you truly want to dress up as a lolita-chan, go right ahead. In the end, all that really matters is whether or not you're happy dressing up!
- Taiga Aisaka / Toradora!
- Tenma Tsukamoto / School Rumble
- And many more... ;.;

Planned Conventions:
- Saboten-con '09
- Fanime '09
- Anime Expo '09
Vitasoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 05:38 PM   #25
Kirotighta
Lolita Apologist

He's cuter than some girls I've seen.
Unread 12-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #26
rainbow_dancer
cute :3 kawaii !!!

hmm...guys can wear lolita if it makes them happy. :3 thats why i like to wear lolita and alot of other girls too. so why cant guys wear it and be happy?

weather they look good in it or not their happiness is what its all about!

if they arn't doing it right (because most guys don't get fashion let alone one like lolita) just give them some advice so that next time they do it better. the ones who sincerely are into lolita would take the kindly given advice and become better. if not they may find a sub category of male lolita their alley and able to find things that fit them and look nice while still having cute elegance they might be seeking.

my guy friend doesn't think he can pull off a dress but loves sweet lolita. so he mixes sweet elements such as the colors and flowers and cute stuff into his own version of dandy, adds some frills to his clothes and he's happy. :3 and the other lolitas think its adorable. >.< so if others like it its just a plus.

Anime Detour: Rena.hack// ::::: Acen: anthy himemiya from revolutionary girl utena::: Acen:: Nico// love live.
rainbow_dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2008, 10:23 PM   #27
thewerewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirotighta View Post
^_^;

So, Brolitas. Should they shave their legs, or should they just wear stockings? Obviously for some men, shaving their legs is out of the question. But are stockings a sufficient-enough means of hiding leg hair? I suppose that would depend on the individual level of hairiness.
I think that that is my biggest issue with a man wearing female lolita clothes. Its all well and good, as long as the hairiness is hidden. ^_^ But that's just me.
I have very hairy legs ... I wear a pair of naural color tights w/ like fishnet over top of them ..the tights cover 90% ... and the fishnet or other pattern completely hides the hair .., a few of the females I am with thought i had shaved the first few times till i gave away the secret ..
thewerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2008, 01:19 AM   #28
Kirotighta
Lolita Apologist

ah, good idea to also conceal with a pattern of some kind. Patterned fabric does a very good job of distracting the eye.
Unread 12-31-2008, 07:52 PM   #29
DeathOfSoul
Epic Mustache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirotighta View Post
Personally If I see a guy in a dress who actually looks good In that dress, I usually get confused, because I can't figure out if its a pretty guy or an ugly girl. (lets face it, what is a cute bone structure on a guy is rarely cute as a girl) Only once in my life have I seen -in person- a person who would have been beautiful as a man, and beautiful as a woman. To this day I still don't know which they were.

As a general rule (in my opinion) I think that most guys don't look good in the female lolita styles. However, seeing a guy in Dandy, Ouji, kadona, or Elegant Gothic Aristocrat makes me drool. *dreamy eyes*
Same for me on both statements, haha. Too bad there's not too many guys like that around here (for the 2nd one).

I'm perfectly fine with a guy in Lolita, especially if he has lovely bone structure in his face and makes sure to shave his legs.

Tumblr

(Wow what a bad SN. I made it up several years ago and thought it sounded cool. |D Oops.)
DeathOfSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2008, 10:11 PM   #30
Pink_Lightning
Party like it's 1999!!

I'm gonna be a broken record here but...

As long as he adheres to the rules of the fashion and takes it seriously as a fashion and puts effort into it. It's a very feminine style, which can often make it more difficult for a man to pull off. However, I have seen many wonderful men wearing lolita. I wish a had a picture of this guy at a convention I was at earlier this year... he didn't have a feminine face, but he had on a nice quality wig and the best coordinate at the entire convention. He really put effort into his look and it showed.

I think a couple problems I consistently see with men in lolita are
1. Out of control body hair. In such a feminine style, having hairy legs exposed clashes extremely. Shaving or covering your legs and getting your eyebrows groomed a bit can go a LONG way.
2. Costume wigs. Lolita is a fashion style, not a Halloween costume. Nice wigs are a wonderful thing, but wigs pulled straight out of a Party City bag take away from the entire fashion.
3. Draggy makeup. Red lipstick, heavy eyeliner and mascara, and eyeshadow up to your eyebrows in the same color as your dress is TOO MUCH. Most girls who regularly dress well in lolita stick with very soft natural looks which suit the style more. Following in their footsteps is a good idea. I think this entry on livejournal shows a good example of a man wearing various styles of lolita without going over the top and Mana-style on the makeup.
4. Bad dresses, bad coordination. Lolita is a fashion which highly values the quality of the garments worn. The bell/cupcake silhouette is extremely important as well as coordinating a cohesive full outfit. Lurk daily_lolita on livejournal for different coordinating ideas and DEFINITELY familiarized yourself with the lolita handbook. The novelty of a man in a dress doesn't make an outfit good lolita.

Lolita is really fun and shouldn't be limited to just us girls. I think it's great for guys to get into the fashion, but I think it's only fair that they educate themselves in it and give it a full effort in the same way female lolitas do.
Pink_Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote