Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 4.91 average.
Unread 09-06-2009, 04:38 AM   #76
YanagiYoruko
Shoogly Peg

anybody know any websites where I could get cheap boots?

I have some boots that MIGHT work for Oz, but they're black, and his are brown *is picky*

So far Cosworx, eBay, and Google have not yielded good results >_>

cos plans:
Shingeki no Kyojin
Uta no Prince-sama (maybe)
[C] Money of Soul and Possibility Control (maybe)
YanagiYoruko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #77
wanderingdreamr
Needs to do more kniting

You could also paint the boots you already have brown (but it might take a few coats and I'm not sure what kind of paint would work best).
wanderingdreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #78
Rime

Hi! I've been considering cosplaying as Sharon from Pandora Hearts and I own this copper brown colored wig as pictured here. I wasn't sure if this wig would work for her? Thanks in advance!
Rime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 04:26 AM   #79
YanagiYoruko
Shoogly Peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingdreamr View Post
You could also paint the boots you already have brown (but it might take a few coats and I'm not sure what kind of paint would work best).
Wellll, they cost me about $50 and I actually plan to wear them for practical purposes, not just cosplay. Also, I don't know if I should remove the buckle or add that brown part over it I have these: http://www.d-decker.jp/en_pc/goods/B_EBT_BLBL.php

But I guess I could try buying cheap black boots for this...since black is easier to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rime View Post
Hi! I've been considering cosplaying as Sharon from Pandora Hearts and I own this copper brown colored wig as pictured here. I wasn't sure if this wig would work for her? Thanks in advance!
It might be a bit too orange but I don't think it's something worth being too anal over...I mean her hair color is kinda...ambiguous? It's different in the manga and anime versions... >_> if it were me, I'd be picky and get a different wig (*is not using a certain wig for Oz since it's too ash blonde/dark gold*) but if you're on a tight budget, it works fine. You COULD also try dyeing it, but I don't know how to do that...

cos plans:
Shingeki no Kyojin
Unread 09-10-2009, 05:32 AM   #80
Rime

Quote:
Originally Posted by froomball View Post
It might be a bit too orange but I don't think it's something worth being too anal over...I mean her hair color is kinda...ambiguous? It's different in the manga and anime versions... >_> if it were me, I'd be picky and get a different wig (*is not using a certain wig for Oz since it's too ash blonde/dark gold*) but if you're on a tight budget, it works fine. You COULD also try dyeing it, but I don't know how to do that...
Thanks so much for your advice! Yeah, at the moment I'm on a pretty tight budget ^^; but I'll keep the ideal wig color in mind Oh is there a way to dye a wig lighter in color? I never thought of that possibility. If you know someone who has done it before that would be a great help!

Last edited by Rime : 09-10-2009 at 05:34 AM.
Unread 09-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #81
Blasphemy Blue
Robot Unicorn

I'm slowly working on an Echo costume, soon to be followed by Break and Lotti. Funny bit is I'm making the Echo outfit out of fine linen tablecloths my father's friend consigned, so while I have to hand-dye it and such, it's free- and pretty nice- fabric.

@Rime: You can't dye wigs lighter than the color they came in, unfortunately. You can only dye darker, as lightening would require bleach, which doesn't mix well with artificial fibers.

+Planned Conventions for 2010 +

Nan Desu Kan - Denver

+Planned Conventions for 2011 +

Sakuracon - Seattle
Anime Expo - Los Angeles [ AND/OR ] Anime Evolution - Vancouver
Nan Desu Kan - Denver

Planned costumes listed in profile
Blasphemy Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #82
Rime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasphemy Blue View Post
I'm slowly working on an Echo costume, soon to be followed by Break and Lotti. Funny bit is I'm making the Echo outfit out of fine linen tablecloths my father's friend consigned, so while I have to hand-dye it and such, it's free- and pretty nice- fabric.

@Rime: You can't dye wigs lighter than the color they came in, unfortunately. You can only dye darker, as lightening would require bleach, which doesn't mix well with artificial fibers.
Ah I see! Thanks Blasphemy Blue for clarifying I guess I will have get a blondish wig and dye it slightly pink/orange if I end up getting the funds.

Oh and good luck on your Echo, Break, and Lotti costumes! I see that you're going to Sakuracon 2010? =D I'll be there so I can't wait to see you!
Unread 09-10-2009, 11:43 PM   #83
lenecom

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...ts/76321396804
I love oz!!
lenecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 08:15 PM   #84
Spelli

This might be a long shot, but does anyone have any kind of tips for Oz's vest here? I'm thinking I'll have to use two patterns in the end. The back collar is sailor-esque, so would it be beneficial to use the sailor tips and then apply them to the front flaps of the vest as well?
Spelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 03:03 AM   #85
YanagiYoruko
Shoogly Peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spelli View Post
This might be a long shot, but does anyone have any kind of tips for Oz's vest here? I'm thinking I'll have to use two patterns in the end. The back collar is sailor-esque, so would it be beneficial to use the sailor tips and then apply them to the front flaps of the vest as well?
OH DEAR GOD. I'm having trouble figuring out how to do that too. I think the big square/rectangular flaps are rather sailor-like...but the smaller flaps on it might be glorified lapels or something. I'll let you know how my drafting goes - after I take the ref pic in to my friend who actually KNOWS how to draft patterns.

On the topic of cosplaying Oz - have you found suitable boots for him? I can't seem to find any online. I have not yet scoured the local fashion district, but I will sometime in the near future.

cos plans:
Shingeki no Kyojin
Unread 09-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #86
Heimdall
Kufufufu no fu

Quote:

On the topic of cosplaying Oz - have you found suitable boots for him? I can't seem to find any online. I have not yet scoured the local fashion district, but I will sometime in the near future.
Have you considered doing boot covers instead? If you're really nitpicky, you will find no boots that look exactly like Oz's plus most boots form against your calves...where as Oz's has a lot of space at the top of the boot...your best bet would be to make boot covers, make the space at the calves a bit bigger, and then add interfacing so that the boot doesn't fall down the calf...

Friday
Marco Bodt (Shingeki No Kyoujin)
Saturday
Wiccan (Young Avengers)
Sunday
Nightwing (DC)
Heimdall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 01:08 PM   #87
Spelli

Quote:
OH DEAR GOD. I'm having trouble figuring out how to do that too. I think the big square/rectangular flaps are rather sailor-like...but the smaller flaps on it might be glorified lapels or something. I'll let you know how my drafting goes - after I take the ref pic in to my friend who actually KNOWS how to draft patterns.

Any chance you could spread the tips with what you're going to do with it/what you did with it within the next 3 weeks or so? Sorry if that seems rude, but alas, I am pretty much a noobie, and any help would be appreciated. I'm putting the vest off until last (the rest of the costume is going quite well) and when I get around to it, if I am not able to find additional help, I'm probably going to do a vest pattern, and then attach a sailor back with those top flaps or something. It'd be the only way I could think of how to do it at the time.

Actually, I found some boots online. There was a pair for $60 (WAAAAY too steep), and then some kind of already-made costume that came w/ a boot cover. Both probably aren't what you or I would be looking for. The boots are also last on my list to cover, but I think I'm going to go with what /Heimdall said for a tip, and try to figure something out last minute. Imo, I know the boots are part of the costume, but for some reason I'm not too worried about how they'll be presented (aka, I'm not going to perfect a pair of boots; i'll do what I can) since, I'm hoping, the rest of the costume will make up for it.
Unread 09-17-2009, 12:01 AM   #88
YanagiYoruko
Shoogly Peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spelli View Post
Any chance you could spread the tips with what you're going to do with it/what you did with it within the next 3 weeks or so? Sorry if that seems rude, but alas, I am pretty much a noobie, and any help would be appreciated.
Well, I'm a noob too, so it's okay ^^;; Err, I wasn't actually planning on starting my costume until November because I'm a procrastinator and the earliest con I MIGHT go to is in January. However, I can bring in a ref pic to my friend who is good at sewing and ask for drafting help - although she's rather hard to reach, so you might have to wait until next week or so before I can't get her to look at it.

How are you doing the shirt? Are you just getting a dress shirt and cutting the border or making a shirt from scratch? (since he has these...Chinese style buttons on his shirt). Also for the shorts, are you doing the anime or manga version? I personally prefer the manga's plaid to the green+white lines of the anime...but I think plaid would be harder to sew with (keeping the lines straight and all). I think for the anime version, you'd just have to make solid green shorts, then paint on the lines with fabric paint after...

As for shoes, I forgot to clarify - I know his boots are too specialized to just find at a store/online. I'm mainly looking for generic brown boots that are in the same shape & color as his without all the fancy stuff on it (I'm planning to add that myself). However, my searches have only yielded men's boots and they don't make any sizes smaller than 8 (I'm around an 8 in women's...which is like a 6 for men).

cos plans:
Shingeki no Kyojin
Unread 09-17-2009, 01:13 AM   #89
Spelli

Quote:
Well, I'm a noob too, so it's okay ^^;; Err, I wasn't actually planning on starting my costume until November because I'm a procrastinator and the earliest con I MIGHT go to is in January. However, I can bring in a ref pic to my friend who is good at sewing and ask for drafting help - although she's rather hard to reach, so you might have to wait until next week or so before I can't get her to look at it.

How are you doing the shirt? Are you just getting a dress shirt and cutting the border or making a shirt from scratch? (since he has these...Chinese style buttons on his shirt). Also for the shorts, are you doing the anime or manga version? I personally prefer the manga's plaid to the green+white lines of the anime...but I think plaid would be harder to sew with (keeping the lines straight and all). I think for the anime version, you'd just have to make solid green shorts, then paint on the lines with fabric paint after...

As for shoes, I forgot to clarify - I know his boots are too specialized to just find at a store/online. I'm mainly looking for generic brown boots that are in the same shape & color as his without all the fancy stuff on it (I'm planning to add that myself). However, my searches have only yielded men's boots and they don't make any sizes smaller than 8 (I'm around an 8 in women's...which is like a 6 for men).
I'm such a noob, it's practically scary. :$ I feel quite helpless with the whole cosplay idea, since not only do I not know how to work this ancient sewing machine I have just yet, but I also don't have very creative references, ranging from parents to friends. It's all on my shoulders, haha! But enough about that...

I'm a procrastinator too, but I don't really have time to procrastinate. The con I'll be attending is in early November, so whatever time I can manage to get is going to go to working on the vest and possibly the shoes between now and then. I can wait a week, if you're willing to help me with at least some tips! I'd really appreciate it. I'm confident I can get it done fairly fast if I pace myself (which is why I said 3 weeks in the last post, gulp).

This might be like a complete sin in the cosplay world, but I managed to find a proper shirt at a thrift store. Of course the shirt needs to be tweaked a bit with the gold l...ace?, but overall, it's perfect. I have yet to find any plaid shorts, but if at all possible, I was planning on getting them at a thrift store, too. I think it'd be an easy task, and they certainly wouldn't be impossible to find by any means there. I never really thought about the differences between the anime and manga version of them (I personally prefer the manga in terms of like, everything), and I always thought they were both just smog green with lines running through them and had cuffs at the bottom? Either way, there's a chance if I can't find proper shorts, there may be a pair of pants that can be cut and cuffed. I used to have a pair of plaid pants that were gray and blue, but even dyed I don't think they would've worked.

Might be bad to say again but uhh, I would try looking at a thrift store for the shoes? They have a /ton/ of brown boots in a store here that appear to be a good length, in good shape, and would only need the finishing touches (well, they would also need a thorough cleaning, to prevent athlete's foot and stuff like that). I took a quick glance at them the last time I was at the store, when I bought the shirt, but I didn't check any prices. That's another thing about the boots entirely - size and price. I don't want to pay $50 for boots, myself, and having a comfortable size is totally necessary. I wish I knew.

Also, hey! If you feel more comfortable using PMs, I would be totally grateful. I could give you my MSN or something through there, if you use that as well. I don't want to end up spamming this topic and making myself look silly oops;;;
Unread 09-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #90
liivingdeadgirl
Chicken Rice!

My love for Break is going to cause me to dye my hair (or take the color out, more like) to white. I'm starting the very long process tomorrow. XD

Alice (Original) - Alice in Wonderland
Miku (Cendrillon) - Vocaloid
Fuu (Artbook) - Magic Knight Rayearth
Fem!Cas - Supernatural

~*~
https://www.facebook.com/#!/LDGCosplay
liivingdeadgirl is offline   Reply With Quote