Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 01-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
Kennedy

Usagi/Serena Sailormoon Blanket/Throw

Here are a few photos of the Usagi blanket/throw that I made! Its completely made of fleece. I gave it to my step-sister for Christmas. I'm currently working on finishing up my Chibi-Usa throw.

What do you think?

The base was 6' x 5' before I cut it, so now its approximately 5' x 4' not including the fringe.

I could make them a bit bigger. I could not have it tie and just sew it together, making it 5' x 6'. I could also add a 1' white border to the edge to make it closer to 7' x 8'

As it stands they're a good sized lap throw for adults. The only problem with making the purple part bigger than 5' on one side is that it would require a seam b/c the fleece only comes 60" wide.

I was contemplating making more to sell at conventions, if I can make enough out of them to make it worth my time. I'm guessing in the long run they won't be cost effective to mass produce (and probably very expensive to ship). They are really cute though! If you were going to buy one [hypothetically] - what would you consider to be a fair price for one?

Not including the appliques, the blanket itself took 2 yds of white & 2 yds of the lavender which runs regularly b/w $7-9/yd + tax. So at regular price, the base would cost $28-36 in materials. I think I bought it half off, so materials cost $14-19 + tax (not including appliques)

Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
Nevturiel
WTS: Epic Anger

The blanket is charming, really. Unfortunately, I don't know how profitable it would be to sell them. I think many possible customers would balk at the price that you are inevitably going to have to charge for the throw.

For instance:
Let's say a miracle happens and the base cost of materials will always be $14. Now, let's also say that you do most of your work during the summer, which is when minimum wage should go up to $7.25 per hour. Assuming you can make a throw in four hours - and I really have no idea how long it takes you, I'm just throwing out a number - that means that the labor charge would be $29 ... plus $14 = a $43 dollar blanket.

Now, you might have some customers who love SM so much that they wouldn't care how much it cost to have this adorable throw. Others, on the other hand, might not like the show that much. Maybe if you decide to sell these online you could charge them like some commissioners charge their customers: have clients pay for materials up front and then pay for labor later. For cons ... well, not to be Debbie Downer, but you might need to be prepared to cut your profits.
Nevturiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2009, 03:44 AM   #3
phantomthief
It was fun, wasn't it?

That's so cute I want to curl up in it and possibly die from bunny snuggles. However, as the above noted, for the work you put into it, I don't think you could get a fair price with the crowd you'd be catering to :\

~Ari
Unread 01-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
Yunalicia
Yevonite

Agreeing with the above. Totally adorable, but everyone and their mom knows how to make those blankets so you probably will not have success selling them.

Planned Cons:
*:AnimeNorth:*:2011:*
<3 Ai-Kon 2o11 <3
Yunalicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
Kennedy

I completely understand (and actually, the min wage where I live is already higher than that). I wanted to make them more so for the purpose of doing it then actually selling, which now that I have (almost done with the other one) I can say I did it and move on. They were originally both supposed to be gifts, but one of my sisters ended up getting a different fleece blanket instead.

I was considering donating the other one to a local convention for an art auction they talked about having, but it doesn't look like they'll be doing it this year (as far as I know).

I've asked around a bit, and had somebody tell me like $7-10 and other people say as much as $40-50 is how much they'd pay for one. I'll probably just add it to my portfolio, and know if it ever comes up again that somebody wants one "that bad" then I already have the patterns for my appliques.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Cute, but despite its resemblance to the blanket in the image you used, there's nothing about it that really says Sailor Moon. The rabbit shapes need the detailing lines you see in the reference image to actually look like rabbits: right now they look more like tiny, weird clouds.

A white border would help it look more finished, and so would a different type of fringe if you'd still like to use it. Poofballs, maybe?
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
moon_bunny

I'll buy that blanket! if you can make another in a month? It's super cute! I don't know how or have time to make it! I am a huge fan of SM
moon_bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
JasonTerror
Now known as Sailor Jeimi

That's not gonna happen bud..This pethread is 4 years old..Not only that, but this user has not been on in almost 4 years.. Please do not post on threads that are this old
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Sakuracon 2014:
-Stocking Anarchy (Panty & Stocking. Normal Ver.)
-Marluxia (Kingdom Hearts Chain Of Memories)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote