Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy

Unread 09-25-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
cyberbilly1

FF6 Cosplay - Amano or Sprite?

Hey all,

I just wanted to get some other opinions. I really like the Amano artwork for the FF games but I really feel like the artwork for FF6 missed the mark. I'm just finishing a Locke cosplay and I'm basing it off the simpler game sprites rather than the Amano artwork. Does anyone else feel the same way? Does this just come off as lazy since the sprite costume has much less detail / pattern?
cyberbilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
uzuki54

Not necessarily. While some elitists might see it as being lazy, the fact is that the artwork is often overly complicated, being only limited by the artist's imagination. In which case, why not go for the simpler design and do a good job on it? Rather than struggle with something overly complicated and come out with a less than satisfactory end result. If you are willing to tackle the harder version, then hey, all the power to you. But I don't think going with the sprite version is necessarily being lazy. In fact, you could actually get more creative with the sprite version than the artwork since there's less written in stone.

In some cases, there may not be any artwork of that character or specific outfit (ran into this problem with Daryl and my current project), so all you have is the sprite.

Ai-Kon

Cosplays in progress

Female Red Mage (FF1)

Team Rocket Grunt

Last edited by uzuki54 : 09-27-2013 at 08:14 PM.
uzuki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
Zaiten

I agree with Uzuki, you can get more creative with the sprite version! A lot of people use the sprite as a base and then make it in an "Amano" style, ie adding beads and various fabrics. So just have fun with it!

Facebook Page: Zaiten
Fun cosplay updates: tumblr
Serious cosplay updates: deviantART

Proud Texas Cosplayer
Zaiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 03:55 AM   #4
LittleBlondGoth

Personally, I'd say to simply go with whatever version you like the look of most. Either way, I always think you get a lot of creative licence with FF6 cosplay. There's so many different versions and artwork pieces, that you go pick elements from everything, yet still have a recognisable character. Terra, for example - green or blonde hair? Both are used, so for me it came down to my own preference when cosplaying her (totally had to be green).
LittleBlondGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
MissLunatic
Someone

Oh, why do I only see this thread today? In fact I finished my own Locke cosplay in August this year. And I didn't go for the exact Amano artwork either. I don't like some parts of it in case of one and entirely dislike the second.
So I started my hunt for fanarts with the nice help of some ppl writing frequently in the old school ff thread here.
In the end I based my own version partly of everything. I used elements out of the Amano artwork which I liked (like the zebra fabric and the gloves) but also stuck to the sprite regarding hair colour, the colour of his jacket and the colour of the bandanas and also decided on decorations like a necklace and wristbands just considering my this-is-locke-feeling. Plus I included stuff from some fanarts (and the PS) intro as already said.
It was really fun in the end and although I don't consider my cosplay the best at all, I'm contend with what I did.
So I wouldn't say anything against a sprite based version at all. I think in fact its more true to the original than the artwork. Especially since many ppl who played the game don't know about the artwork.

Upcoming:
Hotohori (Fushigi Yuugi)
Young Griff (A Song of Ice and Fire - A Dance with Dragons)
Ryoga Hibiki (Ranma 1/2)
Ling Yao (Gluttony's Belly) (Fullmetal Alchemist)

Upgrading:
Kagari Shusei (Psycho-Pass)
Okita Souji (Hakuouki)
MissLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2014, 12:07 AM   #6
Bealzabub
vampire cat prince

My upcoming Kefka Cosplay is more Amano based- if simply because i'm basing it off of one of the Amano concept arts. It's still going to be fairly simplistic compared to a lot the Amano cosplays out there though.
Chihiro Fujisaki (Dangan Ronpa) 5%
Der Tod (Elisabeth; Takarazuka) 0%
Bealzabub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
AuroraKaganshik
Starlit Dreams

personally for my terra, i mix the amano and the sprite artwork together. I can't afford to go super detailed into the outfit, so i add a few elements of the amano just to keep it from looking like a plain red dress o-o
but it is your outfit. and no two 3/6 cosplayers ever look the same because of the amano work
Cosplay Facebook
Online Store

Upcoming cons. yay! 2014
Anime Conji, PMX, SDCC

Cosplays:
Terra Branford v.3 - 100% debuted at AX 2014
Manga Princess Chibi: 90% remaking wig
Horo: 0%
Princess Neptune: 100%
Aqua: 10%
Sleeping Beauty: 70%
AuroraKaganshik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #8
JudasFantasy
<3

I'm on Team Sprite AAAAAALLLLLLLLL the way! it's how I think of the characters because that's how I see them when I play. just because something isn't covered in oodles of beads, glitter, mismatching fabrics, 17 wigs, chains, buttons and the kitchen sink doesn't mean it's "Lazy." A nicely executed costume based on a sprite is great! I LOVE seeing sprite costumes.
<3
JudasFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote