Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-24-2010, 11:19 AM   #151
Beverly
Emotion, yet peace...

RE: fur bits, this is a better example of what I mean!

http://www.furboutiquedenver.com/imgs/gallery_32.jpg
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2010, 11:55 AM   #152
JoyMason
Now Joy Sutton!

That style of "pleating" is characteristic of Mink, so just search for faux Mink (please no kill real minks for cosplay!)

Tutorials, showcases and materials reviews!
JoyMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #153
Sushi Monster
Fatty McFatFat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneliese View Post

Vanille's earings - Are they hoop earings or those tribal horn shaped earings?
The back piece of her necklace I am really unsure what material to use.
They are tribal horn earrings, they end in a point in an almost full circle behind her ear, so not full hoop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
Hey, Sushi Monster, how did you work out the little fur half-skirt/capelet? Did you just have it fall into its own pleats like that, or is it actually sort of shaped (sort of like this... http://img.alibaba.com/photo/5221139...microfiber.jpg )? Is that what 'pelting' refers to? I don't think I'll buy real fur (cost prohibitive!), but I'm hoping to find an accurate match.
I'm gunna get a little off topic here and say that Beverly, I swear I'm not a creepy stalker, but your'e one of the cosplayers I've always kept tabs on the last few years cause I admire your skills! You're an amazing costumer!

I didn't use real fur but I did buy a really nice thick faux fur, no pelting/shaping in it whatsoever. Here's a diagram I quickly made up to help me explain!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...l/skirtlol.jpg

I basically cut out a flat trapezoid shaped piece on top with half my waist measurement, and the bottom line is maybe an additional 1.5 inch on each end. I did this so the leather weapon holster would be able to lie flat . I drew an arrow where you can see where the pieces are sewn together.

For the bottom, I took that bottom line measurement and didn't make a full circle, but 3/4 full circle shape. This will give the flowy pleated look. Half circle would not have been enough pleats and a full circle would have been too much pleating. All I did was sew the flat trapezoid piece and the circle skirt together, hem, and viola! you got a Vanille skirt.

It uses a lot more material then just doing a flat piece of fur, but it's more accurate, I think. It's also way easier than sewing in or making pleats, which I've seen others done.
Hope this helps everyone!
Unread 03-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #154
Beverly
Emotion, yet peace...

Monster: Aw, you're so sweet! ^^ That's really kind of you to say, 'cause your own work is just SO impressive! You're a doll!

That's a GREAT plan, thank you for detailing it out! I hadn't actually thought of making it part of the leather bit, but that's a GREAT idea, makes it a lot easier to manage and wear! And me and circle skirts are good buddies, so that all makes perfect sense.

Thank you SO much! =D
Unread 03-24-2010, 01:36 PM   #155
Beverly
Emotion, yet peace...

Oh, hey guys, was anyone still looking for images of the BACK of the costume? GOT IT!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ffxiii14_thumb.jpg (158.9 KB, 0 views)
Unread 03-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #156
Etrina
Banshee Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
Oh, hey guys, was anyone still looking for images of the BACK of the costume? GOT IT!
AAAAAAAMG You officially win!
THANK YOU!

I'm adding Vanille to my ever growing list of Cosplays - though she will most likely not debut at my next convention due to so many other costumes already in progress for ACen - Although I am missing a cosplay for one day...hmmmm /ponder

Maybe if I have time!

Upcoming Events:
Blizzcon 2010

Upcoming Cosplays
Codex of The Guild - 40% || Lady Sylvanas Windrunner - 8% (patterning) || Vanille FFXIII

Dreamscape my blog
Follow me on Twitter!
Etrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2010, 09:03 PM   #157
Beverly
Emotion, yet peace...

And I'm back again! I got to playing earlier and got a few caps with my camera. They're not great, but they do give a little more detail of the back and the beading on the front. You can find them here:

http://cosplay.charmedseed.net/vanille/

There are a few others in there, too!
Unread 03-24-2010, 10:05 PM   #158
Sushi Monster
Fatty McFatFat

THANKS BEVERLY! Definitely useful caps, I'll be needing them to fix minor details here and there on my costume.
Unread 03-25-2010, 06:56 AM   #159
Sirene
Love made you into this.

Those caps are just awesome, Beverly! Thanks a million - I'm seeing a few things I have to redo (such as the beads on her back "plate" - I have the colors right, just not the types of beads. So frustrating, but at least I found out now instead of a few days before ACEN!).

x. c2e2 '12 cosplay
- Miss Martian, stealth suit (Young Justice)
- Danny Fenton (Danny Phantom)
- Barbara Gordon (Batgirl)
- Cyclone (DC Universe)
Sirene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 11:54 AM   #160
ruriko87

Help w/ her skirt

Hi guys,

Just wondering how do i go about sewing her orange/yellow skirt. I've looked at many screenshots/ref pics of her but have no idea how many layers is it. Is it a wrap around skirt?It seems the part on her right appears to be gradually shorter. Hope I can get some help here =D =D

Thanks in Advance
ruriko87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 06:43 PM   #161
blueskysunday
El Psy Congroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruriko87 View Post
Hi guys,

Just wondering how do i go about sewing her orange/yellow skirt. I've looked at many screenshots/ref pics of her but have no idea how many layers is it. Is it a wrap around skirt?It seems the part on her right appears to be gradually shorter. Hope I can get some help here =D =D

Thanks in Advance
I made my skirt in several parts--the "waistband," the flowy part, and the front panel. For the flowy part I started with a circle skirt and cut it to be asymmetrical. The front panel (which I need to remake because mine looks awwwful) is attached to the inside of the "waistband" and comes out over the top. I hope that's at least sort of helpful.
Alicia Melchiott, Valkyria Chronicles
Saint Tail, Saint Tail
blueskysunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 01:19 AM   #162
ruriko87

Thanks blueskysunday,

I shall try to work on ur method =D =D....
Do you have pics of ur skirt? And what material did you use...?
I bought chiffon but it seems to be a lil too transparent...
Unread 03-26-2010, 01:31 AM   #163
blueskysunday
El Psy Congroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruriko87 View Post
Thanks blueskysunday,

I shall try to work on ur method =D =D....
Do you have pics of ur skirt? And what material did you use...?
I bought chiffon but it seems to be a lil too transparent...
Sorry, my skirt is currently in pieces because I'm adjusting some things on it! D: So the best I have is a picture of it from a year ago before it was sewn together at all. I used a cotton knit because I liked the drape on it and I wouldn't have to deal with a zipper or anything.(http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1949620/) I'll put some up when I'm done fixing it though.
Alicia Melchiott, Valkyria Chronicles
Saint Tail, Saint Tail
blueskysunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #164
Sirene
Love made you into this.

@ ruriko87: Seconding the cotton knit. This isn't a skirt that you'd want to use a zipper on, and cotton dyes really well (which is kind of important for this costume in particular).

Vanille's skirt has three "layers" to it. The first is the front panel of the skirt that covers the crotch (thank goodness, we'd be flashing everyone without it). You'll want this panel to attach on the inside of the waistband (so that the seam is showing on the right side) and then have it fold over the waistband to the front of the skirt.

The second layer is a short pleated/ruffled rectangle of fabric that goes to about 6" below the waistband. The pleats are large and shouldn't be totally defined as it's knit and not a bottomweight. (We're not talking Summoner Yuna pleats or anything.) There should be roughly sixteen 16 total - eight in the front and eight in the back.

The third layer is a bit trickier. It's under the second layer (derp), and it "starts" about ~1.5-2" away from the first panel. (i.e. there should be horizontal space between where the first panel falls and where the third panel begins.) It has the same number of pleats as the second panel, but they're closer together due to the shorter width. As far as length is concerned, it should start as the same length as the second panel (6") and gradually become longer as you get to the back of the skirt, at which point it should be ~10". To help further define the pleats, you can cut it with a "curvy" edge, descending downwards at every pleat. Like this: ~~~, to be utterly simplistic.

Also, the waistband shouldn't be any wider than 1". It isn't clearly defined in the game, and it should be a seam that can be hidden with her other accessories such as the pink belt.

As for the gradient, it starts as dark orange at the top of the skirt and fades into yellow. The first layer is mostly yellow, the second layer is mostly orange, and the third layer contains the full gradient. It may take more than one dye job to get it right; for example, I didn't make my orange dark enough, so I need to correct that.

I hope that makes sense! I can try to draw up a diagram once I have time, as well as take a picture of my own skirt. :]

@edit: ALSO. Those length measurements are my own and should probably be personalized when making your own skirt, depending on your body. Like, I have a donk, so my skirt had to be a little longer, to be totally blunt.

x. c2e2 '12 cosplay
- Miss Martian, stealth suit (Young Justice)
- Danny Fenton (Danny Phantom)
- Barbara Gordon (Batgirl)
- Cyclone (DC Universe)

Last edited by Sirene : 03-26-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Sirene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #165
ruriko87

Thank you Sirene,

That really gave me an insight on the skirt. I am now working on it.
I had actually chiffon in her orange/yellow colors (accurately) but coz of its transparency, guess I'd have to change fabric and dye...Once again, thanks for sharing... =D