uhh, i have a weird situation.
1. i'm a guy
2. i chose to cosplay Yunsung from SC2
yunsung isn't as recognizable as some of the other characters. and it seems that a lot of people don't remember all the guy characters from SC2 either...hehe.
at ACen 2K3 and AX2003, it ended up being the following:
1. the few that actually who i actually was said "hey! you're yunsung. awesome!!" but they didn't take my picture?
2. those who mistakenly knew who i was called me "hwang." wait til 2k4 cons and you'll see my hwang. but until then, i only have a yunsung costume. oh and those ppl who called me hwang actually took my picture.
3. the bulk of the people took my picture b/c i was w/ some girl that they recognized, either that i was w/ a lenne, jibriel, whatever. it didn't matter that we weren't from the same series...they still took our picture. haha.
4. and a lot of times, people said "cool costume/your sword is awesome." and they'd talk to you....but they had NO idea what game you're from.
so yeah i'd say that it's not too recognizable for guys, but for girls you should have no problem. and the hype of the US console release has got a lot of people looking into the game. by that time, a lot of people will be able to recognize you.