Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 01-25-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
MaxGoof

Question How to make a FACELESS mask?

My wife is trying to perfect a faceless mask (see pics) for New York Comic Con, but with a week and a half to go her ideas have all failed. She intended to use liquid latex on nylon for the mask, but it didn't work at all. She tried cheesecloth, but she said it looked very cheap and lame.

I don't cosplay, so I don't have any ideas on how to help her, so I thought I'd ask here.

Does anyone have ANY clue how to make a faceless mask work right??
Attached Images
File Type: png faceless1.png (193.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg faceless2.jpg (69.9 KB, 0 views)
MaxGoof is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-26-2009, 02:50 AM   #2
alex182

It looks like the most seamless way to pull it off would be some headpiece that basically frames the face, then pull a nylon over the entire bit to make a smooth fascade across the face. Then throw on the appropriate wig (because your whole head will be in a sock) and you should be good.

Did that make sense?
alex182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
MaxGoof

It makes sense except for the headpiece. Any suggestions on where to buy or how to make a headpiece to frame the face?
MaxGoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
alex182

I'd think along the lines of a couple pieces of furniture foam or the like. Something firm enough to hold a shape but soft enough to not hurt. A couple half-moon shapes for either side of the face, and maybe a headband and chin strap to hold them in place. If I could draw I'd make a picture of what's in my head, but my artistic skills rival that of a dead yak.
alex182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
Lomelindi88

I'm actually making a very similar mask (Hei's from Darker than Black: http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/4...maskdtbmd7.jpg. I put wire mesh (the type made for arts and crafts) over my face to make a crude, flat-ish plane that fits my face, then layered clay over it. I'm using Sculptamold but that's a bit of a pain to use, I'm sure other clays will work better. Just make sure that you use a type of clay that will harden (either by cooking it in the oven or by air) so that it won't come apart when you wear it.

The tutorial I'm basing my mask off of is here, if it helps. http://halfmama.com/studio/2008/01/0...lo-kitty-mask/

Future Cosplays Ideas:
Pharaoh Atem (Yu-Gi-Oh!)

Last edited by Lomelindi88 : 01-26-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Lomelindi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
Angel Kat III
*You*

I would use a plus sized dancer tights cut off at the leg and pulled over the head, bank robber style. Dancer tights are more opaque than regular nylons so they should cover more of the features, and the plus size (extra large or something) will be more comfortable to wear over the face.

I wish I could find my dance tights so I could take a picture to show you....
that would be an interesting picture...

Last edited by Angel Kat III : 02-09-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Angel Kat III is offline   Reply With Quote