Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 47 votes, 4.91 average.
Unread 02-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #16
AisokuXxRoku
Rox Ass :D

This is some good advice
I can make myself sound like a young boy/teen. Buuuuuut I have a very high voice. Or so people tell me XP
Soooooo... Being a burly manly man might be out of the question since there is a possibility of straining my cords?! O_O scaaary...

Unread 02-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #17
Camarilla
Tiny Terror of the Net

I think a good way to go about it is to do it gradually - like you've swapped your voice's gender and are aging it at the same time. I tried to start out with a seventeen year old guy - Itachi, from Naruto - but found that it's better to start out trying for a younger sound. I worked for it, making sure I sounded like a young boy rather than tomboy-ish girl, and after I was confident I had it down pat I tried for a pre-teen. I repeated the process, and then tried for a regular teenage boy voice. I'm fifteen, myself, so I won't be able to hit any age above young teenager until my own voice fully matures. Like others have said, singing as low as you can and speaking as low as you can really makes it easier to hit those lower vocal pitches.

A really important part of it is tone/texture, too. While pitch makes it, if you still have a girl voice that's just unnaturally low, it sounds like you're sick or... on testosterone or something. xD By practicing a less smooth, more gravelly/rougher voice, it gets easier to sound more masculine even if you aren't at the right pitch. True, not all guys have rough voices, but by making it rough and then smoothing it a litle bit, it sure will sound more masculine. It helps to record yourself, too - if you record, then wait a while and listen, you can sort of figure out how you sound and what to do to make it more guy-ish.

Hope that helped somebody. XD
Camarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #18
DespairedPheonix
Elilicious

Honestly? most ppl don't worry about it. With me though, I listen to the characters voice in the anime/game and copy it. It takes a lot of work, but I'm usually very confident in how I sound when I'm crossplaying. My friends say it's a natural talent, but honestly...I do work hard at it, and I don't see why other people can't do it either....^.^
In the works: Asuna, Sword Art Online (40%) | Rapunzel, Tangled (0%)| Punk Sailor Moon (20%) | Lulu (FFX) (0%)

Facebook
| Deviantart
DespairedPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote