Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Manga Chat

Unread 07-25-2003, 02:15 AM   #1
tydawgsd
Poser Ninja

What Series first got you into Manga?

Well I just recently got hooked on Manga. The series that did it for me was Ragnarok. Great art, cool characters, good action sequences and a complex storyline. I love it.

I was just wondering what series first got everyone else into Manga?

Unread 07-25-2003, 02:19 AM   #2
Babbit_Chan
Sarcasmic

A few years ago when they Viz first published it, Nausicaa got me hooked. Mai the Psychic Girl came second but I never really pursued the series after the first two volumes.
Babbit_Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2003, 04:00 AM   #3
Toka_pop
Chikyuu Shoujo

Cardcaptor Sakura. I was amazed by the beautiful artwork.

The following tales of alien encounters are true. And by true we mean false. They are all lies. But they are entertaining lies. And in the end, isnít that the real truth? The answer is no.
Toka_pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2003, 04:03 AM   #4
makonurikoryoko

hmm I think Sailor moon got the ball rolling but Oh My Goddess and video Girl Ai REALLY got me big on it! XD
makonurikoryoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2003, 12:30 PM   #5
Zephyrs
I Am! A Man! Of The Sea!

I remember reading all the translations for Sailor Moon and Rayearth back when I was in 4th or 5th grade (I'm going into 12th in fall!) so as soon as they came out here, I was totally hooked on them and others soon followed.
Zephyrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2003, 12:53 PM   #6
Kirschwasser
God Save The Queen!

Back in the days when I used to read English-translated manga, the first series I read was Sailor Moon. ^_^ I rememeber seeing Sailor Moon S #2 at a book store, and I picked it up and thought, "Wow, cool artwork". (I think this was back in early 2000). So from then on, I collected the series, then went onto Magic Knight Rayearth (which got my into Clamp big-time). I gradually began learning Japanese, so I eventually sold all my English-translated manga a year back, and now I get the original Japanese manga. But yes, thanks to Sailor Moon, I got into manga. (One of these days I'll collect the Japanese SM manga).
Unread 07-25-2003, 01:01 PM   #7
Mouse
Village Idiot: Wanted

Erm.. Pokemon? *is killed* Hey, I thought it was really cool when I was younger..
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2003, 01:39 PM   #8
Hikaruchan
Have camera, will travel

Mai the Psychic Girl was one of the first ones to really interest me. Read some before that, but it was sporactic with whatever I could find in the bargin bin.
Hikaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2003, 04:06 PM   #9
Scortia

Sailormoon got me started but then the Rurouni Kenshin manga floored me.
Unread 07-25-2003, 05:05 PM   #10
Velvy

What really got me into being the manga addict that I am now was Peach Girl, and SMILE. I got the first Peach Girl book the same time I got my first SMILE issue.
Unread 07-25-2003, 05:23 PM   #11
Nikitsuki
Hyper Child

Sailor moon got me to know what manga actually was... but Mars totally blew me away. I hadn't read manga in a very long time and when I saw racks of it at a comic store in Harvard Square I was hooked. Then parakiss came and I was totally hooked... ^^
Nikitsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2003, 05:39 PM   #12
Nadeshiko
white rose assassin

Like anime...Sailormoon. I was in 6th grade and my parents prohibited me from buying it mainly 'cause it was in Japanese.

When I finally convinced them that I would eventually take Japanese (count nearly seven years later...) and I also wanted to get ideas for my artwork (at the time I loved to draw). So, did the Sailormoon thing for a while...

And then I got my hands on some other titles like Ranma and Maison Ikoku (sic?)...but didn't eventually get hooked on manga 'til last year when Tokyo Pop started released a plenty titles.
Nadeshiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2003, 07:11 PM   #13
RyuHayabusaDOA2
Dark Lord Of The Sith

hhmm..for me it Ranma 1/2 and Appleseed....then it slowly snowballed from there. Same thing with sailor moon, as soon as I saw the anime, I had to get the manga, even if it was in japanese..which I did along with Eva and Utena lol
RyuHayabusaDOA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2003, 07:49 PM   #14
Lady Hikari
Look at me! I have wings!

I'd got to say it was Fushigi Yugi. When it was first released, some years back, a friend decided to lend me vol. 1. So I read it and got hooked. I went out and bought the first volume and every volume afterwards on its release date. ^_^; The guys at the bookstore thought I was crazy, spending $15 on a "lil' comic book". Well anywho, after Fushigi Yugi was Inuyasha, Video Girl AI, Gundam, etc. Its only been a couple of years since I've started reading anime and my room now looks like a shrine to Kaori Yuki and Yu Watase.
Lady Hikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2003, 08:52 PM   #15
ichigo

For me it was Mai the Psychic Girl too!! Wow, there sure are a lot of people who got hooked with Mai. And here I thought it was a rather obscure little series....
ichigo is offline   Reply With Quote