Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games

Unread 01-31-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
ShimaGenki

Ideas for Gears of War cosplay - Baird/Carmine and Anya

My boyfriend and I were attempting to do a Gears of War cosplay this year, but because we're new at the whole armor building thing, we've come across a few problems...

1. My boyfriend wants to build either a Baird or Carmine costume (they're basically the same), but it's difficult to find a good method. I've looked a bit into the Pepakura method, and while I'm willing to learn how to use it, there seems to be only a Carmine pdo file floating around somewhere--but I have yet to find it. (Baird and Carmine's armor look about the same.

Are there any suggestions on how to build this armor? The most common method I've seen is the Bondo/fiberglass method, but that seems difficult. Or maybe I just THINK it seems difficult... I don't know. But is there a good alternative with decent results? Or should we brace ourselves for this method? (And coughing up the cash for it.... T_T )

2. To match (because I am female and would look uber awkward in a COG suit) I wanted to cosplay Anya. Are there any suggestions for how to do her boots and gloves? I may have to do some hardcore looking around for anything that's close enough to it.

I would take any suggestions, but I'm especially looking for methods for the armor if anyone has any.
ShimaGenki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-31-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
ChaosKnight127
Hidden Ice Village

A pretty cheap way that I went is use cardboard to make the armor and helmet and then covered it in polyester resin instead of using fiberglass. Once it hardened I used Bondo and then sanded that down. There are pics in my gallery. The armor came out alright, but it was my first time doing it. This way probably won't yield the professional looking armor though so if you're going for that, look elsewhere.

Instead of pepakura I just guestimated everything.

For the helmet I recommend Featherweight's tutorial somewhere on these forums.

Good luck!
Unread 01-31-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
p0rtalman
Fiberglass nut

I would go with pepakura.
This should help: http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8197
p0rtalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #4
ShimaGenki

Thought I posted a comment reply :/ Hmmm.... Anyway:

@ChaosKnight127: So wait, where is a good place to get polyester resin and bondo? Just a hardware store? And we're not really worried about professionalism. xD Otherwise, I don't think we'd have the time o___o

@p0rtalman: THAT link looks familiar. I think I've run into that forum like 20 times while looking for files other than Marcus. While Pepakura may be the easiest route to go design-wise, the problem is that I can't find any pdo files for Carmine ANYWHERE. While Baird and Carmine's armor are identical, Marcus's is completely different. So I guess while I can use the Pepakura as a starting base, a problem with possibly adjusting the design correctly occurs.

HOWEVER... I did find another forum on 405th that had files for Carmine's helmet, so I guess that's something to keep on the back burner. :/

If I did put together an initial model of Marcus's armor, would there be a way to adjust/size down the design? Attack it with a pair of scissors??

Oh! While the thought crosses my mind, does anyone have an opinion on craft foam? I've seen the idea on a few websites, but I don't know exactly how well it would hold. (I would probably use it on Anya's costume.)

*Edit: I use the word "while" a lot, lol xDDD
ShimaGenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
ChaosKnight127
Hidden Ice Village

You can get both polyester resin and bondo from Pep boys. I'm not sure about hardware stores like home depot ans such though. Also if you're going the fiberglass route, i think pep boys sells little fiberglass repair kits but I don't think it'll be big enough. For that stuff I'd buy it online. Or if you have a marine supply store I think they may sell it there. I would have recommended MrFiberglass.com (they were pretty cheap) but the owner passed away recently so the site has shut down.

And as p0rtalman has shown, if the pepakura models for it exist, then use em since it makes it that much easier.