Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 02-07-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
Xylina_Furiae
iPinch D:<

Hiei - Dark Tournament Saga ( Yu Yu Hakuhso)

Hello all. This will be my third crossplay, and I wanted to get some feedback from what I have.

First of all, here is the reference shot.

And now for my shots.

What do you think? Be reminded, I haven't bound in any of these pictures, and I'm remaking the belt for the robe.

My major questions:

-Does the hip on the black pants look okay? It looks TERRIBLE to me, so I was thinking of taking it in some so it was flush with my body. Maybe installing some elastic.
-Should I install shoulder pads on the shirt?
-Is the collar of the blue shirt alright? It's detachable, and thus really hard to work with.

Thanks a lot!
"You should hate someone because they're an asshole or a pervert or a snob, or they're lazy or arrogant or an idiot or a know-it-all. Those are reasons to dislike somebody. You don't hate a person because someone told you to; you have to despise people on a personal level, not because they're red or because they're blue, but because you know them and you see them every single day, and you can't stand them because they're a complete and total [f]ing douchebag."
-Leonard L. Church, Red Vs Blue

Last edited by Xylina_Furiae : 02-07-2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: I used the wrong contraction D:
Xylina_Furiae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
Dragula
d=(^.^)z

Hmmmm well I wouldnt say you need shoulder pads because Hiei himself isnt very broad shouldered so dont stress on that it looks right on to me, and I would say definitely put a little elastic in for the hips or just take it in a little but dont go overboard. And finally the collar in all honesty I think it looks spot on. Hope this helps at least somewhat <]:^DX

"Take heed for if thou presumeth to flirt with spirits thou shalt join them" -Alucard

"Dont take life so seriously no body gets out alive anyway"

"It is better, I think, to grab at the stars then to to sit flustered because you know you cannot reach them" -Montolio DeBrouchee
Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
Summey
Schnoogle

Yay! Hiei!

I don't think shoulder-pads are needed, given how small Hiei is. The blue shirt collar looks good, actually! It's hard to tell about the pants. Since it's bothering you, it's worth giving the elastic a shot.

Great job!
Raven (Teen Titans) 100%
Female Trunks (Dragon Ball Z) 100%
Female Flash - 100%
Batgirl (Animated Series) 100%
Summey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #4
zomgmissy
New Account: ohmicaiah

Definitely take in the pants some. But speaking of the pants, in the reference image the pants are closer to navy, and your pants are black.

When you remake the belt for the robe, make sure it is much wider than the one you have now. Also, both the belt and the trim on the robe should be a more mustard yellow.
zomgmissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2009, 08:35 PM   #5
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Take in the pants, don't use elastic. They look like that because your belts have cinched the pants tight to your waist - all that bunching means the pants are too big. I know it'll be difficult to do with those giant double-belt carriers (aka belt loops) but a better fit on the pants means no bunching.

re: color - having rewatched the entire DT saga recently I know those pants are black. One reference picture is not enough. They are indeed his standard pants. Kudos on actually doing the two-belt carriers properly, very few Hiei cosplayers even notice that.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #6
Xylina_Furiae
iPinch D:&amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;

Thank you everyone for all of your comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
Take in the pants, don't use elastic. They look like that because your belts have cinched the pants tight to your waist - all that bunching means the pants are too big. I know it'll be difficult to do with those giant double-belt carriers (aka belt loops) but a better fit on the pants means no bunching.
Arrrggghhhh, yes, it is very difficult. I have it all spaced out symmetrically on both sides and don't want to screw it up. Also, the way I've made the pants makes that pretty difficult, as the belts aren't held in with loops and rather weave in and out of the top layer of pants.

Can I ask for suggestions on how to fix it without screwing up my layers or measurements? I'm stumped on this one. I never wanted to use elastic, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
re: color - having rewatched the entire DT saga recently I know those pants are black.

Yeah, I know they're black. I use references directly from the anime ... It's just trying to find pictures on the internet that will get my point across that is difficult.
"You should hate someone because they're an asshole or a pervert or a snob, or they're lazy or arrogant or an idiot or a know-it-all. Those are reasons to dislike somebody. You don't hate a person because someone told you to; you have to despise people on a personal level, not because they're red or because they're blue, but because you know them and you see them every single day, and you can't stand them because they're a complete and total [f]ing douchebag."
Unread 02-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
Xylina_Furiae

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomgmissy View Post
When you remake the belt for the robe, make sure it is much wider than the one you have now. Also, both the belt and the trim on the robe should be a more mustard yellow.
I remade the belt and it seems to be the right size now. I'll post pictures once it's completely finished. However, I originally had a mustard yellow and not only did it not work for me with the technique I was using, it didn't look right compared to the pictures taken from the anime when I referenced them. I honestly think the lighter is more accurate, it is just the picture that has funny colors in it.

Because, actually, also, the pants are most definitely black in-anime.

Thank you so much for your input.
Unread 02-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #8
zomgmissy
New Account: ohmicaiah

re: color - I apologize for giving the wrong information on the pants color. I haven't seen that outfit in the anime and was working off the one reference given. ^^;
zomgmissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Hm, without knowing exactly how the waistband is put together I don't know how to advise carefully taking it apart. Really, with pants, you have two options: take in the side seams, or take in the back seam. You maaaaaay have to take the entire waistband off, take in the seams, and then put it back on, adjusting it for the new pants size. I actually had to do that with my own Hiei pants after I lost weight - but my belt carriers are top-stitched on. I still had to take the whole waistband off, it was a PAIN. But the pants fit so much nicer afterwards that I considered it worth it.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
Xylina_Furiae

As soon as I get back home tomorrow, I'll post pictures of how I have it pinned. It is sort of a pain, but I think it might just work.
Unread 02-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #11
Yo-Yo
I Love Lamp

Ooh, another Hiei!! Somebody gave me free ramune and pocky when I was standard black cloak Hiei. x3
I love the gold trim idea, giving it a more realistic effect. The way I fitted it was by putting in side seams, and I think that would work beautifully on the pants. They work wonders, I'm tellin' ya.
Unread 02-20-2009, 09:41 PM   #12
Xylina_Furiae

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomgmissy View Post
re: color - I apologize for giving the wrong information on the pants color. I haven't seen that outfit in the anime and was working off the one reference given. ^^;
It's okay. :3 I should have put up a better ref picture. D:

The black pants got taken in and now fit correctly. I'll post pictures tomorrow. :3