Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Fullmetal Alchemist

Unread 02-09-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
alliebeth
Show me your teeth.

FMA Lust help

So I'm thinking about tackling "Lust" from Full Metal Alchemist for my first cosplay from scratch. I'm having trouble deciding on a fabric though. In some screens, it appears to have a shiny-ness/reflectiveness/satin finish to it, and in others it seems to be a cotton/dull fabric. I've seen it done both ways...What do you think would be the best (and relatively cheap, please) fabric for me to choose? I am a novice, and it will be a combination of machine and handstitching, so a fabric that is easy to sew wouldn't be a bad thing.

Also, any ideas for those claws of hers? I will probably make them shorter than usual, just so I can be comfortable.

Here's a reference of her:
http://www.testriffic.com/resultfiles/21593lust.jpg
alliebeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
Kenmichi
Death by photograph.

From what I'd expect Lust to be like, I think a dress with a shine to it would be ideal. Her character in the manga and anime is very feminine, after all her name is Lust. She's seductive, and full breasted with long flowing hair. A shiny form fitting dress perfectly compliments her traits and personality.

For her claws, there might be someone else who made them and posted a how-to, if not I know there are cosplay.com members who have made her claws and you can always try asking them. My recommendation would be to use craft foam, or possibly plasticard (styrene sheets). Both are easy to work with, inexpensive, they're thin (light), and come in sheets long enough to reach the length you're looking for.
Unread 02-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
alliebeth
Show me your teeth.

I was thinking the same with the shiny dress...I just know that satin is overused a lot, so I wanted to check I wasn't getting the wrong impression of the dress. I need to find a basic pattern to edit, and find out how much yardage I need, but I think I'm going to go with sweetheart satin (because it's shiny, and I found some on sale).

I'm 5'4...any ideas how many yards I should get? I plan on buying and editing the gloves, so just the dress.
Unread 02-20-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
alliebeth
Show me your teeth.

So I ended up murdering an old dress and using it as a pattern to edit (made is longer, wider since the original is stretch..my fabric isn't..) and am making a muslin mock-up right now.

Here's the thing though...what is the best way to make the "dip" in the top of Lust's bodice? Also, I've been toying with the idea to reinforce that area to make it stand up a bit more..what would I use to do that? I'm thinking either "interfacing" (not sure what that is..) or hidden craft foam...ideas?
[/color][/size]
Unread 02-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
OMGwyn
"LOL, what?"

Go with the interfacing. You may wanna double it up, to make sure that little dip keeps it's two little corner points.
As for your dress, you can go with a satin or maybe even like a micro velvet?
Her dress looks like it's got a green tint to it too, so maybe you can find something like that.
the "sleeves" which I'm just noticing, you can probably just use gloves... Since uh, I don't think I ever noticed they were actually attached to the dress.

I've ever only seen Lust in person once, and she did a pretty good job.
She used straws for fingers <3
OMGwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2009, 05:03 PM   #6
alliebeth
Show me your teeth.

Well it's shaping up nicely thus far on the mock-up, I'm going to hem it some time soon and then do minor fitting adjustments before I shape the top. Then, I'm going to take it all apart, trace it onto my real fabric, and hopefully end up with something good.

I will do some research on interfacing and pick some up next week (exam cram this weekend...). I picked a sweetheart satin, and it looks like it's got a purple-ish sheen to it...we'll see how it goes. It's not TOO shiny though, so that's the most important part.

I'm going to purchase long gloves, but I'm debating on attaching them or not. I guess it depends on time, and if I can find a good way.
[/color][/size]