Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-15-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
Ryo_Hellsing
The Ryo User!

Question Smoking and Cosplay

So I was wondering on what everyone's view's on Smoking cigarettes and cosplay where. Such as during Con's, Looking at characters that you are use to watching having a cigarette ( Or cigar) in Cosplay ( Good example is Sanji from One Piece) , or to just when your in cosplay.

The reason why I am asking this is because it is nice to know what others in the cosplay word think about such issues.

Personally I do smoke and have been at Con's while being dressed up. Once I was Beyond Birthday from Deathnote and I was sitting outside ( The normal 30 feet away from the doors) And I did notice some odd looks. And some comments that made me laugh abit, such as; " Dose BB smoke?" "BB what are you doing?!" "And that's how L really died... Cancer,"

I also got some comments that seemed very rude to me such as; " BB dose not smoke so do the cosplay right!" And so on.

But anyway's I just wanted to know. Also any fun stories are welcomed to post here too

Also sorry if this is the wrong place to out this topic. I wasn't sure where to put it,

EDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I got a few new smoking stories with Con's! I keep bringing up this topic because I think it really helped give people a better impression on what people should do while at Conventions, especially with the younger crowed.

Anyways I went to Fanime for the first time this year, keeping in mind of the advice and critique from this forum. There where a few smokers there who I got to hang out with for abit and we did talk about this issue a few times. The thing that I found interesting was that there definitely was a much more respectable crowd at Fanime with smoking area's and less people seemed defensive about it.

Also I did notice the small fan services that some of the "Hotter" males that when they pulled out their cigarettes in cosplay it seemed that they definitely got alot of attention. In that whole 'seeing Itachi smoke is sexy'. Made me laugh.

But ja just wanted to point that out and tell you guys that it seems people are being alot more respectable or so from what I have been seeing.

Ram Fan! Anyone else love the Tribe? Pm me!

"So I took the shotgun off the wall
and I fired two warning shots...
...into his head."

Last edited by Ryo_Hellsing : 07-04-2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: More information
Ryo_Hellsing is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-15-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

I'm a smoker too, and I don't think there's anything wrong with smoking and cosplaying as long as you're not smoking somewhere you aren't supposed to be. Though, I would be careful if there were a lot of kids at the con, I can imagine that it wouldn't be a good influence for them to see one of their favorite anime characters having a cigarette.

And I think rude comments are completely uncalled for. This may be bringing up a touchy subject, but there's already a lot of unneeded venom towards smokers, and I think it's really rude to direct that toward criticizing someone's cosplay.
alpha_helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
Schuldig_
Optical illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo_Hellsing View Post
So I was wondering on what everyone's view's on Smoking cigarettes and cosplay where.
Apart from all the obvious reasons one shouldn't smoke... seriously? Not my business, but keep it out of my face or I might feel inclined to spray perfume in yours.

As for doing it while cosplaying; being in character can only be taken so far, and even if you cosplay a non-smoking characters, there's no saying (again, apart from common sense, but that's whole other debate) you have to stay off smoking all weekend. Each to their own.

"Don't engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man." (Crawford, courtesy of Aoe, in this case)
Schuldig_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
DivineSage
Formerly OokamiTsuki

I think the same rules that apply to smoking outside of conventions should apply to smoking at conventions. Seriously, people act like conventions are another dimension where the rules don't apply. Anyway, you obviously know and follow the rules, so that's not a problem.

As far as the comments you're getting, that's ridiculous. If you want to smoke, that's your business. Cosplayers are not their characters, they don't have to follow every aspect of their character's life. If someone was cosplaying a serial killer, would they be expected to run around killing people? Just ignore them, they obviously don't have the brain power to comprehend that cosplay is just a hobby.
DivineSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
Ryo_Hellsing
The Ryo User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_helix View Post
I'm a smoker too, and I don't think there's anything wrong with smoking and cosplaying as long as you're not smoking somewhere you aren't supposed to be. Though, I would be careful if there were a lot of kids at the con, I can imagine that it wouldn't be a good influence for them to see one of their favorite anime characters having a cigarette.

And I think rude comments are completely uncalled for. This may be bringing up a touchy subject, but there's already a lot of unneeded venom towards smokers, and I think it's really rude to direct that toward criticizing someone's cosplay.
I agree. I always try to hide my cigarette or put it to the side when I see children or younger teenagers walk by because It's just a general polite rule.

Ja, I was really shocked when I heard it. I mean I am use to the normal "Smoking is bad for you" angry comments because it happens every day but when I heard it I was in that "Did that just really happen" zone.

...into his head."
Unread 02-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
Ryo_Hellsing
The Ryo User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuldig_ View Post
Apart from all the obvious reasons one shouldn't smoke... seriously? Not my business, but keep it out of my face or I might feel inclined to spray perfume in yours.
lol don't worry most smokers that I do know generally try to not have the smoke be blown near people. If they do they don't usually mean it on purpose.

but thank you for your personal view. It was helpful

...into his head."
Unread 02-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #7
Ryo_Hellsing
The Ryo User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OokamiTsuki View Post
I think the same rules that apply to smoking outside of conventions should apply to smoking at conventions. Seriously, people act like conventions are another dimension where the rules don't apply. Anyway, you obviously know and follow the rules, so that's not a problem.
Ja I have noticed that too. It's interesting when they think that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OokamiTsuki View Post
As far as the comments you're getting, that's ridiculous. If you want to smoke, that's your business. Cosplayers are not their characters, they don't have to follow every aspect of their character's life. If someone was cosplaying a serial killer, would they be expected to run around killing people? Just ignore them, they obviously don't have the brain power to comprehend that cosplay is just a hobby.
XD Very much agree and I loved that last comment. It made my day!

...into his head."
Unread 02-15-2009, 03:44 PM   #8
halo11701
Loves the money

I do not smoke at all, but I do have some fake puff cigarettes for my Havoc costume, they work very well, and look real.
since Havoc - cigarette = not Havoc.

It's probably the best idea to use fake cigarettes in your cosplay, since most cons have prohibit smoking.
I-Con 28/Sakuracon:
Kakuzu (Naruto Shippuuden)
Lieutenant Jean Havoc
Planed:
Venom
Storm Trooper (I plan to join the 501st when I turn 18!)
Master Chief~Mark VI (Halo 3)
Alphonse Elric
halo11701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #9
Ryo_Hellsing
The Ryo User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo11701 View Post
I do not smoke at all, but I do have some fake puff cigarettes for my Havoc costume, they work very well, and look real.
since Havoc - cigarette = not Havoc.

It's probably the best idea to use fake cigarettes in your cosplay, since most cons have prohibit smoking.

Fake puff cigarettes? I have never seen those before but heard that they work amazing.

...into his head."
Unread 02-15-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
halo11701
Loves the money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo_Hellsing View Post
Fake puff cigarettes? I have never seen those before but heard that they work amazing.
These are what I use.

http://www.amazon.com/BWacky-Puff-Ci...4736039&sr=8-1
I-Con 28/Sakuracon:
Kakuzu (Naruto Shippuuden)
Lieutenant Jean Havoc
Planed:
Venom
Storm Trooper (I plan to join the 501st when I turn 18!)
Master Chief~Mark VI (Halo 3)
Alphonse Elric
halo11701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 04:22 PM   #11
Ryo_Hellsing
The Ryo User!

Very interesting looking. And very cheap. I'll keep this in mind for my younger friends during cosplay.

...into his head."
Unread 02-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #12
lexy-chan

I am pretty fickle with the subject of cigarettes and cosplay myself.

If you cosplay a character who smokes and smoke, then go right ahead and carry the thing. Even if you don't, I have seen fake cigarettes at a costume store near my house and they really play the part. It's the responsibility of the kids who watch others smoke whether they think it's a bad influence or not. Honestly, if you have to smoke, go ahead--however, being someone who is extremely allergic to cigarette smoke and cigarettes in general (ie: if I'm within someone's smoking range, I start hacking and hyperventating), I just avoid outside areas when there's a nicotine feast (which is easy to do). I do like when cosplayers obey smoking regulations during cons, however, since it's law and courtesy as well (although I think smoking regulations in commercial buildings differ state to state).

Great topic though, glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks about this XD
lexy-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 04:45 PM   #13
pocky_penguin66
Voxx

Well for those that dont smoke and have a character that does, use lollypops! Theres a huge funny gag about it in anime because of what 4kids did to One Piece <3

As far as people that do smoke, please don't cosplay as someone that is a child and smoke. I don't know why, but seeing someone cosplay as say, Tai or any of the kids from Digimon would make me want to smack it out of their hands lol and tell them they aren't old enough. Oh, about that, if you DO cosplay as a kid, and you look young enough to be carded, you might be stopped by the police.

I don't care if you smoke, but smoke in regulated areas ^_~ away from children.
pocky_penguin66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #14
Leadmill
Looks good in uniform...

I have done a couple of characters that smoke. I never really got into the habit myself so either borrow one of a mate who does or use some fake ones. Both do the job fine.

Current Cosplay Projects
Nights Watch Brother (Game of Thrones) - 70%
Shy Guy (Mario Warfare) - 90%
Leadmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 04:48 PM   #15
Inufan078
Winged-Kuribohsaid what?!

I have 3 friends going to a convention with me this year, and 2 of them smoke while my other friend and I don't. So I'm going to have a school girl Kairi and Yuuki Cross smoking while Cloud and I Sora don't. I'll probably keep my distance from my smoking friends while in costume just because I don't want my costume to smell like cigarette smoke, in real life I can wash my clothes, and don't mind too much but still do a little... with my costume that I've spent time on and don't know how it'll wash I'm going to keep my distance and I'm not afraid to tell them that. I already told them that our hotel is a non-smoking hotel and their fine with going outside, so it shouldn't be really a problem. If people don't like it, keep your distance if your costume conscious like me but don't cause unnecessary insults to others.

Soon:
Train Heartnet from Black Cat
Secret Cosplay

Recent Complete Cosplays
Ikuto Tsukiyomi - Shugo Chara! School uniform with black and white lined blazer version
Jaden Yuki - YGO GX Season 4 version

~Cosplay lists never end... I have so many in my head I fear I will forget them... I have made a journal of all the characters I wish to achieve and keep on adding.~
Inufan078 is offline   Reply With Quote