Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Anime Chat

Unread 09-28-2002, 11:47 PM   #1
John Booty
The Waffle Truth

chobits feels kind of pedophilic to me sometimes

i'm sure this thread will contain some spoilers, so consider yourself spoiler-warned for the whole thread!

i don't know what to think about this series. right now, i'm on episode 21. i'm actually enjoying it a lot overall. the animation is kinda simple but it looks really good by TV standards. i love the characters and while the stories are kinda slight, i think the characters make up for it.

basically it's the standard anime/manga premise where the guy finds himself with a cute but incredibly naive girl who's totally dedicated to him. broadly speaking, you could lump tons of shows in here... Saber Marionette, Ah! My Goddess, um... zillions of others that are escaping me right now.

however, Chobits is done really well in my opinion. also, the other theme in the series is people's increasingly reliance on machines, computers, and other gadgets to the point where they have a tough time interacting with other people. this secondary theme seems to be gaining momentum as the series progresses and i think it's pretty interesting.

anyway, i have to admit: even though i like it, this show totally creeps me out sometimes!

seriously, there's a ton of sexual tension between Chi and Hideaki, and i swear to god her mental age is about 7 *at most*.

i mean, what's up with THAT? i'd like to hear what you guys think.

Last edited by John Booty : 09-28-2002 at 11:49 PM.
John Booty is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-29-2002, 05:44 AM   #2
spacecosboy
Super Monkey Balls!

I've only seen a few episodes and I really like it so far, but I totally agree it just seems so wrong sometimes.
spacecosboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2002, 06:24 AM   #3
Foxwolfe
To be announced...

Yeah it does add a funny twist on theyre somewhat relationship.
Foxwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2002, 09:08 PM   #4
aeva
H. Potter Connoisseur

I think it's cute, regardless of Chii's seemingly child-like actions. I mean, look at Shuichi and Yuki! I jst finished Chobits, and I love it. ^______________^ Ish wonderful, even if there are a lot of shows that are similar. Each has its own twist, ne?
aeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2002, 09:24 PM   #5
diqitaldreams
Rock Lee Fangirl!

hmm...weren't we talking about this last time? LoL. Hideki wants ass...but he doesnt' get laid with chi...e.e so that's good..I guess.
Unread 09-29-2002, 09:53 PM   #6
John Booty
The Waffle Truth

i love it too. i mean, a lot of shows have the older dude/younger girl thing... this just seems like the youngest girl (mentally) yet. ^^;;; erm i still like it, though.... although it's definitely pushing it...

Last edited by John Booty : 09-29-2002 at 09:56 PM.
John Booty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2002, 10:14 PM   #7
Keurblitz
My Gender: Female

ack, Chobits... typical male fantasies....
Unread 09-29-2002, 10:29 PM   #8
Yggdrasil Pie
WRYYYYYYY

lol, I love chobits!! But the times where Chii and Hideki and the...*cough cough*

My friend thought guys made the series though... ^^;;;
Unread 09-29-2002, 11:30 PM   #9
Mei Lan Chang
Its a "shoulder massager"

Weeellll....I think Chobits feeds on the odvious perversion that is slightly different than the perversion in America. There seems to be a fixation on younger girls that are more "innocent". I mean, where do you think the obsession with the white panties came from?
Unread 09-30-2002, 05:40 AM   #10
Okita Souji

Finished the series...It's pretty good. Although I didn't pick it apart as far as who wants who.

Just keep in mind the difference in cultures here as to the content being specifally mentioned here.
Okita Souji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2002, 09:15 AM   #11
diqitaldreams
Rock Lee Fangirl!

Chobits is still super, uber cute. xD I can't get over Sumomo.. ::sheepish grin:: Even so, you gotta give CLAMP some credit..;.; it's so...adorable! I couldn't put down the manga for one second because I was so hooked on it at first glance. loL. xD That reminds me -- I should download things...
Unread 09-30-2002, 09:17 AM   #12
Keurblitz

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I just finished watching the last episode!!! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know this gonna sound gay but... Eruda is SOOOOOOOOO HOTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!
Unread 09-30-2002, 09:21 AM   #13
diqitaldreams
Rock Lee Fangirl!

You...are stupid. xD Lol. ::smirk smirk:: ...
Unread 09-30-2002, 09:21 AM   #14
Keurblitz

Hey, I'm not stupid... just a lil;.. obsessed!!! AAAAAAHHHHHHHH they should have more episodes........... more chobits more chobits!!!!
Unread 09-30-2002, 09:26 AM   #15
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

I haven't seen a lot yet (7 eps), but I have to admit Chii and Hideki creep me out. Why? Not only because of her mental age, but also because of the fact that she /serves/ his every whim. It comes too close to those Japanese university boys who, interviewed about Tokimeki Memorial, said that those girls were more real to them than actual flesh-and-blood girls, that they wished girls on the street acted like that (now if you've played the game, you know it means be lobotomized and giggle at everything a man says).

He should live in reality and do his landlord. ^___^

As for the treatment of the age-old "can machines develop feelings bit"... I think it's veryvery weak. If you want something well done on the topic, watch Star Trek: The Next Generation, especially "Measure of a man". Now they put thought into it.

And lastly, I can't stand Chii.
I am tired of the stupid innocent "look I am cute take advantage of me" female characters in anime. I want women with a backbone, I want strong /capable/ women. I want more Lady Unes (GW), more Farangis (Arslan), more Karen (Gundam 8th MS team).

Maybe if I could find women I can relate to in anime, I'd stop
cross-playing. LOL

Seriously, for now (and I reserve the possibility of changing my mind once I have seen the whole) Chobits = Oh my Goddess. Which means it insults my sensibilities as a liberated woman. ^___^