Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Unread 02-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
Xion is a lie. Like cake.

Princess Kairi- Original Design

Hey everybody,

I'm planning on making an original design of Kairi in her "Princess Form". It's going to be an (all-white) strapless, sweetheart-cut bodice with princess seaming, and the underskirt will be white tulle. The overskirt will be something I call a "side-bustle" skirt. I'm not exactly sure what to call the skirt. There will be a picture attached at the bottom of the post for those of you who need a visual. Anyway, I have a few questions.

1.) The overskirt.... I'm not sure what to call it, as I mentioned above. I think it should be called an assymetrical gathered skirt, but I'm still kind of clueless. I've scoured Google and still can't seem to find an official name for it. Anyway, I was wondering how to sew this-- I was thinking a circle skirt that was sewn up by the hip, but I can't find a pattern for it, so any help or ideas would be appreciated.
2.) The tulle underskirt. I'm going to use Simplicity 3878 for this. It says to buy 16 yards of tulle, but is that really necessary? I've looked at tulle skirt tutorials and most of them say about 10 yds should do it. Then again, I'd like the skirt to be very poofy, like camilliete's Original Princess Kairi design here on cosplay.com. (If you haven't already, check it out, it's awesome. And NOT ghetto-unfabulous as she claims.) Also, if i'm not mistaken, the tulle skirt is basically just a lot of gathered tulle on a waistband, right? The last part of this question is will the skirt be see-through? It IS a lot of tulle, but in the pattern stock image, the model looks like she's wearing a satin skirt underneath, so I was just wondering about that.
I think that's it, for now at least. I have a good idea on how to make the bodice, sash and accessories (woot arm-length gloves are AWESOME!). Thank you in advance for helping me. I'm sorry for the ridiculously long post! XP I'll be sure to post pics when I'm done!
~~avatarded

Design picture:
princesskairidress.jpg

<3
Finished:
Maka--Soul Eater
Axel--KHII
Princess Yue-- Avatar: the Last Airbender
avatarded is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
KairixRoxas
Insufferable Know-It-All

This sounds like an awesome idea. Though, the "Princess Kairi" thing isn't too original anymore. I've even done one! lol Good luck with the process though!
Sunday - Heather Mason.
KairixRoxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2009, 01:24 PM   #3

Thanks! I'm really excited, as I've always wanted to do a crazy, poofy ballgown that I'll probably spend $200 on and only wear twice in my life. XD
As for the originality thing, you're right, it isn't very original. But there's no such thing as "Princess Form" in the game(s), and I've only seen 3 or 4 cosplayers actually do a gown/ballgown. I'm very excited to join the ranks of the not-so-overly-done costumes! XD

I would love to see pictures of your gown!

Thanks for commenting!
~~<3
Finished:
Maka--Soul Eater
Axel--KHII
Unread 02-22-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
KairixRoxas
Insufferable Know-It-All

Eheh. I just grabbed a random prom dress of mine that I never used and did "Winter Princess Kairi." Nobody got it, so I trashed the idea.
Sunday - Heather Mason.
KairixRoxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 07:21 AM   #5

Haha! I'm sure it was wonderful anyway! What did the dress look like?
Yeah, I'm kind of worried about not being recognized either-- I don't have a Kairi wig, and my hair might be turning blonde soon, so I'm afraid unless I have True Heart with me (I think I'm going to have to make that now DX), I'm going to be unrecognizable. Lol. Just like all the other Princess Kairis. But at least I'll be unique if i go to a con. I'll stand out from the 50 million main characters! Yay for semi-originality! >XD
Finished:
Maka--Soul Eater
Axel--KHII