Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 07-27-2003, 09:35 PM   #1
Nicatat

Asuka Wig

Haha.. have you fooled.. I don't mean Askuka from Eva... I mean Asuka from Magic Knight Rayearth.

http://www.angelfire.com/anime3/ladyaska/rayearth54.jpg

any ideas on how to make that?
Nicatat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-27-2003, 09:45 PM   #2
Firegirl

Well, I promise it CAN be done. I'm in the process of creating Chibi-usa's wig. First step is to find a short-haired wig with bangs, it that colour.

Maybe this one? http://awesomewigs.com/grace350.html in dark blue, of course.

Then, get large syrofoam triangles like that, but shave them down to a much smaller size, and the correct shape. Get your second wig, the same color.

Perhaps this one? http://awesomewigs.com/cher9511.html

You then cut off a lock and hot glue it to the cones, without melting the hair or cones. I think you're supposed to cooly blow dry the hair and use hair spray to keep it in place. Keep doing that until you have enough hair on the styrofoam. You'd have to pick a certain way to attach the cones, because there are different ways. Headband, nailing it to the wig, gluing it, and what not. It really isn't so hard once you get the idea down and try putting it together.

The hair ties could easily be made of out of pink stain ribbon and a red bead, then glued to the hair for security.

Let me know how it goes! =D
Firegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2003, 10:05 PM   #3
Nicatat

yeah I saw this type of wig at anime expo and thought "headband" but I'm really afraid to make it! lol... thanx for the tip though...
Unread 07-28-2003, 04:16 PM   #4
megumibish
I should be drawing Yaoi.

You could always just buy one wig (a long one) and then extra loose matching extensions at Dr Locks. Then use the loose extensions and make a pigtailwig. http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread...395#post243395 this thread katiebair explains how to do it with loose extensions. After that is done get the styrofoam and shape it to the shape you need. From there on take the cone and make a hole straight from the base to the tip with a screwdriver. you'll be needing to work this a bit to get a decent sized hole so make sure in the first place that your cones are large enough so the holes don't kill the styrofoam. after that is done you take one pigtail and pass it through the base of one cone to the tip. pull cone all the way down so that it sits right on top of the pigtail. you can use a strong string to help pass the pigtail through the cone btw. then you take the part that is sticking outta the top of the cone and pull it back down to the base. this is where you would use a glue or clear caulk to hold the hair to the styrofoam. have the hair go all the way back down to the base of the cone and let it dry. you can wrap string around the cone temporarily to hold the hair in place while the glue/caulk sets. alter it sets trim off the excess hair and then caulk/glue the cone around the base so it doesn't move. (just incase you haven't realized it yet. this will be a permanent style. no restyling it back) let it dry. get the ribbon and caulk it around at the base and tada you have asuka's hair. however if this scares you to do it i can always do it for you. ciao
megumibish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2003, 06:28 PM   #5
Nicatat

wow.. I never even thought of that! Of course this scares me... I've never worked with wigs before... but it's like costumes.. I won't know until I try... Thank you so much.. wow *nods* I just had to pic the hard ones to do...
Unread 07-29-2003, 07:02 PM   #6
megumibish

well good luck then... don't worry it sounds hard to do but i even do the cone hair style with my own real hair. and i use thick paper to hold my hair in shape. i stole the style from my bud limebarb...eh hehe too cute not to steal ya know. and i myself love challenges or it would be as fun. =P
Unread 08-03-2003, 01:16 PM   #7
Nicatat

Ok.. on the off chance anyone is going to read this... here's what I'm going to try... I bought two cones and sliced them at angles (her style has a little curve to it) I'm gonna glue them back together and paper mache them to help create the shape and then sand out any lumps..... then cover it in black yarn and/or paint to hide the color and help it blend if the wig doesn't cover it all.... and then use megumibish's idea.... will it work?
Unread 08-03-2003, 02:51 PM   #8
megumibish

yeah it sounds like it can work . or you can try not using foam and starting with a thick posterboard cone and build papermache on top. make a small one so you can make the curve and that would solve the whole have to carve out a hole.. this seems like a better idea...and i think crayola's modeling foam would work better than papermache cuz it's light and good for just this basic design...
Unread 08-03-2003, 02:53 PM   #9
megumibish

gah you could just make the whole curved piece with the crayola modeling clay... duh~~ that's far easier...it's the one that airdrys btw.. gomei
Unread 08-03-2003, 10:01 PM   #10
Nicatat

Well I already started the styrofoam and paper mache way.... and it's going alright... albeit... messy.... but... it already has the right shape... I just need to let it dry... do another layer.... smooth it down.... and then start drilling a hole..... and pray I don't mess up the style....
Unread 08-11-2003, 11:15 PM   #11
Firegirl

I'm sure your wig wil be great! Please let me know when your costume is finished, I would LOVE to see it! =D
Firegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2003, 02:23 AM   #12
Nicatat

I'll post pics when I get it all done... but it prolly wont be for too long.. I'll prolly get my wig done before the rest of my costume... still need to buy a wig though

Dr. Gregory House