Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Fullmetal Alchemist

Unread 03-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
OMGwyn
"LOL, what?"

FMA cosplay help that isnt AutoMail related xD

Ok, so I'm slowly working on my Edward Elric cosplay for Otakon.
Surprisingly enough, this isn't an automail question xD

I need boots.
Simple enough.
Just regular motorcycle/harness/biker boots.
I've been all over eBay. I found some stuff I like but I've never bought shoes online and I'm kinda scared I'll just be wasting my money on shoes that are too big or too small for me.
Sooo~ if you guys have any ideas where I can go and actually buy shoes like... in person? That's be awesome.

Heres what I'm going for.

Since I'm making the automail, I don't wanna just cover it up with horrible sleeves.
And, Otakon is in July. Hence - HOT. So I'm taking this little outfit here.

I have the outfit.
And I'm currently growing my hair out, though I kinda doubt it'll be long enough.
Right now it's falling like JUST below the shoulders. So who knows.

And I'm kinda trying to find contacts.
I never used them before, but I've been wanting to try and bump up my cosplaying.
He has yellow-ish eyes but I kinda want to find something that looks a bit more natural so I don't look like I have some kinda weird liver disease? LoL
So if you got ideas on that, I'd be glad to hear ya out.

Thanks!
OMGwyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-05-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I can't help you on the boots, but as a suggestion for the contacts, I would say try for a light hazel. Ed's eyes are golden, so I think a really light hazel should be the real world, natural equivalent.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
Kenmichi
Death by photograph.

I would leave your hair shoulder length then tie it back into a pony tail like Ed's hair, then use one or two matching blonde extensions and braid those. Then just clip that to your pony tail and viola!

Ed's boots remind me of a pair of timberlands without any laces. I think any inexpensive wal*mart/payless/good will bought shoes that seem large enough will due the trick, then the fun part is coloring them.
Unread 03-05-2009, 11:30 PM   #4
OMGwyn
"LOL, what?"

Mehdia: I'm kinda borderline on the contacts. I've never worn them before and people are saying I need to go to an eye doctor and blah blah blah. Plus I'm still kinda scared about poking around at my eyes.

Kenmichi: Y'know I had really considered that idea with the extensions. I just gotta find some that are my color. I have a goldish blond right now that I'mg onna highlight a bit to get a lighter shade. As for the boots, seems I gotta do a bit of shopping. thanks!
OMGwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 01:01 AM   #5
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Don't feel bad Eru-chan. I had never worn contacts at all til I did my Byakko cosplay last year at A-kon. I actually bought the contacts at the convention. They are the same type that you buy online, totally sealed and everything, I just didn't need an eye doctor's prescription for plain contacts. Getting them in the first time was a bit tricky, but I was with several people that wear contacts, so they helped me out, now I can get them in on my own. And the first day I wore them, I never felt a thing...still don't any time I wear them. The only odd thing was getting used to this red ring that would get around my field of vision if the contact didn't move with my eye. But that was extremely minor to me.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
mindtailor
Bearface McFists

I would never by contacts at a convention. I looked it up, and according to the Federal Trade Commission: "The company is ... violating FTC regulations by selling you contact lenses without having your prescription." O_o You have to have a prescription to order contacts, even if you buy them without power. You could seriously hurt your eyes if the contacts don't fit, and the eye doctor will tell you if you can even wear them.

Like kenmichi said, go around and look at stores around you. Even sports stores (like Academy) should have at least a few kinds of boots, and you'll be able to try them on. Once you find something that fits, you may be able to order them cheaper online. ;D

A-KonŽ Cosplay Lieutenant
AnimeFEST Hall Cosplay Director
President of Mu Epsilon Kappa (Alpha Chapter)

Upcoming cons: Mini A-Kon 7, All-Con 2014, A-Kon 25, Animefest 2014

Last edited by mindtailor : 03-06-2009 at 06:52 PM.
mindtailor is offline   Reply With Quote