Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > BlazBlue

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 54 votes, 4.94 average.
Unread 03-07-2009, 11:22 PM   #1
JJ/Ryojin

BlazBlue Cosplay

Im going as Ragna the Bloodedge, however his jacket looks a bit tricky. How do i approach it? Is there a type of coat i can modify to look like his?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blaz9.jpg (44.7 KB, 0 views)
JJ/Ryojin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-08-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
MajinCrystalia
Tactical Horror Espionage

A red leather biker/racing jacket or a dress coat.

-=Foxhound=-
"we do it for the lulz"
MajinCrystalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
mewtwo2222
Hayley Elise

Wow Blaz Blue ^___^

I'm planning Taokaka or Rachel someday....
mewtwo2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
Angel Tear
Sugar Snow

ooooh! interesting! I've already cosplayed as Taokaka about two weeks ago (minus the mask because I have the habit of fainting if I get too hot or cant get fresh air) only one person recognised me. So its nice to know that its popularity is going up by...um...one more person!

But yeah, as stated before you're probably better off looking for a red leather jacket somewhere.
Kureha
Flower
Angel Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
Kenmichi
Death by photograph.

One thing I notice with the jacket is the sleeves. A friend of mine was Richter Belmont from Castlevania (Link) and if you look closely at the sleeves on Ragna and Belmont they have a similar shape at the shoulder. Anyway, for this jacket my honest opinion would be to browse McCall's website or their selection at Wal*Mart and JoAnns for a jacket pattern and just modify that. Maybe I'm just weird or something but personally I have a much easier time modifying a pattern rather than altering a pre-existing jacket. The main reason I recommend that is because of the way his jacket closes, in that it doesn't. Jackets are made to close in the front either with clips, buckles, buttons, or even velcro but clearly his jacket has no such pieces.

Jacket patterns are usually split into 4 pieces: Front left, back left, front right, and back right (Sometimes three in which case the back sections are combined into one piece). Measure from the center of your chest back about 2-4 inches (depending on your size) and subtract that from how much the pattern suggests using. And also remember to compensate for the flaring towards the bottom of his jacket. Just gradually increase your measurements towards the base of the jacket.

The belts, use a black faux leather or some kind of vinyl. The buckle you could make with wood, clay/sculpey, or if you have two matching belt buckles that size then that's even more awesome. Same goes for the metal plates on his jacket (Though personally when I do decide to make Ragna I would just use little strips of aluminum sheeting). Or a little bit of cardboard with a few pieces of aluminum tape would also be pretty good.

Hakama is pretty straight forward. And luckily his aren't pleated so you'll get to skip the hardest part, in my opinion, of Hakama making. The real hard part I think... The boots. The only thing I can think of doing is buying a pair of boots with a small heel and painting/dying them red and then using a little bit of sculpting material to make the little plate on the tips.

The gun/sword looks like a lot of fun to make, I'll bet when Fev sees it (saw it?) she'll be anxious to have someone commission her to make it (But don't quote me on that!). Wood workers dream prop.
Unread 03-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #6
trupnoi_25
not perfect

saw some gameplay of BlazBlue and Ragna's sword is a ....
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/46404.html
well watch it until the end and you'll know what it is.

it also shows the back of his jacket for those who want to make it as accurate as possible.
trupnoi_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2009, 11:14 AM   #7
JJ/Ryojin

Luckily I already have a black hakama, cause i train in Shinkendo. My hakama is pretty much the costume that keeps on giving because i can use for other cosplays!
Unread 03-11-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
JJ/Ryojin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewtwo2222 View Post
Wow Blaz Blue ^___^

I'm planning Taokaka or Rachel someday....
For real, thats really cool! Hope to see them someday, especially the Rachel cosplay. Gothic Lolita + Vampire = Badass!
Unread 03-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #9
mewtwo2222
Hayley Elise

I'm amazed because I never thought that I would get a chance to use my shinku wig again xD
Unread 03-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #10
JJ/Ryojin

Quote:
I'm amazed because I never thought that I would get a chance to use my shinku wig again xD
Its always cool to use a prop from a previous cosplay for another. Its saves a ton of money!
Unread 03-13-2009, 02:54 AM   #11
mewtwo2222
Hayley Elise

Especially since this one cost >$100

xDD
Unread 03-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #12
JJ/Ryojin

Quote:
Especially since this one cost >$100

xDD
damn, then you better use it to it's fullest! lol
Unread 05-05-2009, 02:17 AM   #13
cherryteagirl5
MOE MOE KYUN~!!

I plan to cosplay as Noel Vermillion. http://www.acparadise.com/acp/display.php?f=1711

I'm nearly done with the guns. Just have to make the small details. I'll be wearing this in about 3 weeks. I must finish!
cherryteagirl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2009, 03:55 AM   #14
lemnii

I'm planning a Taokaka cosplay but the things that I am most torn about are;

A) the zipper in the middle, I would like to keep it accurate, but at the same time, finding a zipper that large would have to be custom ordered and where do I even order that, so I am torn between using a regular sized zipper or using cloth and creating a fake zipper by sewing black lines on a yellowish cloth.

B) the claws. I could love to make them retractable/make a sort of fencing type handle and then make claws on the handle so if I don't want the claws, I can just take it off and replace it with a 'unclawed' handle. I've never worked with anything like that before so I don't really know what to make it out of. Also, It would have to be pretty big which is what throws me off. For the claws I've been watching Wolvering claw tutorials hahahaha.

C) the face. Ideally and one day when I have enough time I am going to make and LCD type of thing where she will have several expressions (one of my friends has done a Daft Punk helmet with several expressions and he will help me through it) but for now, I don't know whether to just use a black piece of cloth and sew a face onto it or to do something else (suggestions would be lovely!)

So yeah, long explanations about my three problems that hopefully made sense. :]
lemnii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2009, 07:37 AM   #15
mewtwo2222
Hayley Elise

I can answer the zipper question for you, you can find them here: http://orgxiii.org/zippers/
It doesn't come in the right colour, but you can spray paint them, and replace the pull tag.